Protected urea

muckymanor

Co-op supplied protected urea for the first time this year and it seems to be working well on grassland. We would have always gone with ordinary urea on first round and then with can on subsequent rounds.

Will protected urea be as safe as can for spreading later in in the year?

Co-op supplied protected urea for the first time this year and it seems to be working well on grassland. We would have always gone with ordinary urea on first round and then with can on subsequent rounds.

Short answer is yes, NBPT treated urea is as safe or safer as can, but may take a day or 2 longer to be available to grass.

I used Alzon treated urea last year and got on great with it grass was jumping out of the ground after it.

Is anyone finding it to be spreading very differently to normal urea? Was warned to be careful of spread pattern with it?

Why pay circa €30-40 per tonne more for protected urea when normal urea works fine this time of the year? I just don’t buy into the idea. Maybe if using it during very dry weather it can have a place but for jan-apr on grassland I can’t see the need.

Why pay circa €30-40 per tonne more for protected urea when normal urea works fine this time of the year? I just don’t buy into the idea. Maybe if using it during very dry weather it can have a place but for jan-apr on grassland I can’t see the need.

We didn't pay anything extra. The co-op have a promotion and the protected urea is the same price as the non protected urea. They are not stocking can this year at all - or they say that they aren't getting any more into stock.

Edit : the protected urea with sulphur is the same price as non protected straight urea.

We didn't pay anything extra. The co-op have a promotion and the protected urea is the same price as the non protected urea. They are not stocking can this year at all - or they say that they aren't getting any more into stock.

Edit : the protected urea with sulphur is the same price as non protected straight urea.
What brand/make of protected urea did you get?

I'm using normal urea here and the moment as its working fine and is cheaper. Have 6 bags of it left and once they're gone I'll be using the Alzon protected urea with sulphur for the rest of the year instead of CAN. Used it last year during dry weather on second cut silage ground and got a great response from it. Ended up getting 12 bales/acre. Got a great response on the grazing ground too. Works out cheaper than CAN and seems to be a better product.

Got some protected urea with sulfur in it. It's only 34% I think instead of the 46% in the normal stuff. Will start next month with it and do a paddock with can with s and the urea with s just to see how it goes. There was rumors of you'd have to be careful handling it is that true?

Neither.

It was branded Sustain Protected Urea.
Sustain is KAN, they renamed the product as the name was causing confusion as so similar to CAN. It has NBPT as the inhibitor, proven to work. Most products are using LIMUS which is the BASF inhibitor, it is a combination of NBPT and NPPT, also known to work well. Have heard a few bad reports from GEN

Last edited:
Is there a max amount of tonnes your allowed buy of protected urea at the same price as normal stuff? That’s a great offer.

I have no idea to be honest. The old man went in to pay for his and I sent a cheque with him for mine and this is what he came back with. I doubt you'd get it at that price if you weren't paying in advance.

Back