Putting car seat into commercial vehicle.

The Man

Any of yous ever put a child seat into a commercial vehicle. I’ll soon need to pick up and drop of my 7 month old daughter during the week partner needs her car for work. So all I have to use is my land cruiser but people have said to me your not allowed have them in the front. I was looking earlier and there’s no isofix points in the seat like in the back of a car. But I could make up a bracket fairly handy would be perfectly safe.

Any of yous ever put a child seat into a commercial vehicle. I’ll soon need to pick up and drop of my 7 month old daughter during the week partner needs her car for work. So all I have to use is my land cruiser but people have said to me your not allowed have them in the front. I was looking earlier and there’s no isofix points in the seat like in the back of a car. But I could make up a bracket fairly handy would be perfectly safe.
you can place one in the passenger seat provided you do two things

1. face the back to the seat towards the windscreen so the child is facing the back part of the seat

2. you turn off the passenger airbag

I did it for several years until we got a five seater and asked the guards first what the rules were

knock off the air bag.car seat strapped in the pagero at the time.never a bother but probaly not ideal...... one problem you will find when the child gets a bit older, they won't want to sit in a car facing the back seat.... we go in jeep.... typical young farmers to be , rubber backing.....😊

Also check insurance
would dropping a child to the babysitter be classed as commercial work?
For a while locally the local Gardaí were checking commercial vehicle use , ie not to be used for private use ie going to the shop , use on Sat & Sunday etc.

always have the wellies and bag of meal in the jeep.not much they can do, your on your way doing farming business on passing by childcare facility..
60 % of the local guards around here are driving jeeps and crewcabs and can be seen outside the station so it mustn't be to big of an issue

Also check insurance
For a while locally the local Gardaí were checking commercial vehicle use , ie not to be used for private use ie going to the shop , use on Sat & Sunday etc.
My brother always carries a slasher’s in the van so if he is going to a funeral he can always say he is on the way to fence sheep. The other advantage of commercial is you can park in loading bays in the town.

Also check insurance
"Social, domestic and pleasure" wording of insurance covers it. Its the commercial tax part of it that you could be taken up on. It would be a very dutiful guard that would pull you on it but @FIAT 450 mentioned here before that someone he knew had been prosecuted for it. Most guards I know have a commercial vehicle and bring their kids in them.

"Social, domestic and pleasure" wording of insurance covers it. Its the commercial tax part of it that you could be taken up on. It would be a very dutiful guard that would pull you on it but @FIAT 450 mentioned here before that someone he knew had been prosecuted for it. Most guards I know have a commercial vehicle and bring their kids in them.
" add blue man " even if he's driving to work himself would do ya

it depends on the seat and the vehicle. rearward facing seats must not be used with an airbag. forward facing seats are fine with an airbag. at 7 months old I'm guessing still rearward.

you can't just go disabling airbags for the craic, the vehicle needs to be designed with it in mind and will have a big warning to show that it's done, and needs to be undone whenever a forward facing person is in place.

Isofix is a simple way of securing a seat, some seats are isofix only in which case you likely cannot use it. lots of seats can be secured using seatbelts just takes longer.

once your insurance has S,D&P included you're grand and you are allowed drop your kids to school under your commercial tax, it's incidental to your journey. I've never met someone who has been stopped for it, only ever hear of friend of a friend type stories about it.

Back