Putting cattle out in wet cold weather

lough

I was going to put cattle out last Friday but saw the forecast for the heavy rain we got yesterday morning and decided to hold of, now I see more of the same forecast for the weekend, is it a bad idea to put them out in such wet weather. They should have been out a couple of weeks ago but didn't get a chance to get them out at the time.

I was going to put cattle out last Friday but saw the forecast for the heavy rain we got yesterday morning and decided to hold of, now I see more of the same forecast for the weekend, is it a bad idea to put them out in such wet weather. They should have been out a couple of weeks ago but didn't get a chance to get them out at the time.
Today is a miserable one on them anyway, if I had young stock in and plentynof fodder I'd hold them for the week. More likely to go on if they get a bit of kindness when they go out

If they have good shelter and free draining soil they'll be ok outside. High exposed fields and young stock don't like hailstones or weather like yesterday.

If they have good shelter and free draining soil they'll be ok outside. High exposed fields and young stock don't like hailstones or weather like yesterday.
They would have plenty of shelter and dry ground, it's convincing the powers above me to buy into it

You might have a problem with lactating cows. But young stock will be grand. We have let cows and calves out in the rain when we are busy calving and they always do better than any left in. Let them out.

Back