Question about towing weights

JohnBoy

If you have a vehicle with a gvw of 3.5t, a payload of 1.5t and a gtw of 5.5t.

Can you tow 3.5t (payload plus trailer weight) if the van was empty?

I'm assuming not an you are limited by whichever weight is lower of trailer plated weight and gvw-gtw

But just wondering

I'm assuming not an you are limited by whichever weight is lower of trailer plated weight and gvw-gtw

But just wondering
Over 3500kg also needs a C license and possibly you can end up requiring a tachograph .

Over 3500kg also needs a C license and possibly you can end up requiring a tachograph .
3500kg to 7500kg is a C1 license. Depending how long you have your license, you might already have it.

But just wondering
Short answer no,your gtw minus gvw must be 3.5 tonne,as in a 3.5 towing capacity vehicle,you technically can’t pull a 3.5tonne trailer empty behind a non 3.5 towing capacity vehicle,but it goes on,
Have been told that by vosa in the uk
When i had a 3tonne gvw pulling a 3.5 tonne capacity trailer,but got pulled in by them and weighed ,vehicle weighed in at 3049kg and trailer was 1550 so technically i was under my 5200 gtw but i got done for been over by 49kg in my gvw,so removed 150 kg from vehicle and put on trailer but still got fined and then was warned that I shouldn’t of been pulling that trailer regardless,full or empty,so bought a 3.5tonne towing capacity vehicle after that

Short answer no,your gtw minus gvw must be 3.5 tonne,as in a 3.5 towing capacity vehicle,you technically can’t pull a 3.5tonne trailer empty behind a non 3.5 towing capacity vehicle,but it goes on,
Have been told that by vosa in the uk
When i had a 3tonne gvw pulling a 3.5 tonne capacity trailer,but got pulled in by them and weighed ,vehicle weighed in at 3049kg and trailer was 1550 so technically i was under my 5200 gtw but i got done for been over by 49kg in my gvw,so removed 150 kg from vehicle and put on trailer but still got fined and then was warned that I shouldn’t of been pulling that trailer regardless,full or empty,so bought a 3.5tonne towing capacity vehicle after that

Thanks lads,

Thats what I thought, had someone trying to tell me that as long as you didnt exceed the gross train weight you were ok to exceed the towing weight.

According to ifor Williams you can ignore the weight on the trailer plate but the actual weight must not exceed the towing weight of the vehicle

Think legally once you exceed any one of the limits ie licence category ,gross train weight , vehicle towing capacity or trailer plated rating then you are illegal.No point in hitting all the targets bar one .
That said how many would be breaking their any day ? Reckon it's a fair percentage as 2 of my brothers often borrow the wagon here and neither have the trailer bit for their licence

oh it's massive. I do it all the time myself although I've the provisional got so I'm doing something about it.

but along with that a huge number of jeeps and vans are overloaded for towing.

oh it's massive. I do it all the time myself although I've the provisional got so I'm doing something about it.

but along with that a huge number of jeeps and vans are overloaded for towing.
There's many don't know the speed limit when towing a trailer let alone the weight restrictions.

Back