Regulations on importing FYM from another farm

King of the town

Hi,

Finding it hard to get an answer to this online and don't remember any specific details from when doing the green cert.

I have access to some farm yard manure (for free) from a neighbouring farm which I want to spread on some of my ground. What are the regulations around this and is there paper work I need to do prior to spreading it?

Thanks.

It is organic fertiliser and must be taken into account when calculating how much chemical fertiliser you can buy.

You also need to ensure you don’t exceed the 170 kg organic N/ha limit

Get an advisor to do a nutrient management plan for you. Guidelines on Department website under nitrates, but it’s pretty complicated.

Department should be informed of the movement using the form available on their website

It is organic fertiliser and must be taken into account when calculating how much chemical fertiliser you can buy.

You also need to ensure you don’t exceed the 170 kg organic N/ha limit

Get an advisor to do a nutrient management plan for you. Guidelines on Department website under nitrates, but it’s pretty complicated.

Department should be informed of the movement using the form available on their website
Informed by the person exporting it and you sign it with herd number.

Thanks, had a look there and I see the form alright. Looks like its just one you complete at the end of the year and not one that has to be done prior to movement.

For the nitrates plan, no chance I'll be anywhere near the limit. Land was idle for the first 5 months of the year and only got about a bag to the acre of chemical fert and wont be getting much more other than the dung. I will probably look at doing up a plan alright myself next year, I did it in the green cert and have notes etc so I'd be fairly happy doing it myself - prefer doing this sort of stuff myself too.

Last edited:
Record 3 movement form is all that needs to be filled out by the exporter and signed by you. No need for NMP at your stocking rates, just make sure you dont go above 170kgs organic N per ha

Is the person giving it to you or is he caught on nitrates? If he is giving it to you cos it's in his way and no paper work involved take it and say nothing. If he wants paper work involved make sure you don't exceed your nitrates limit

It's just being offered to me to take out of the way/as a favour, no issues with nitrates limits for him and I won't be anywhere near either. As I'm a new herd number there is a good chance I'll be inspected so if they see dung on the ground I want to make sure I'm covered as it can't be mine since I didn't have stock until recently.

Is the person giving it to you or is he caught on nitrates? If he is giving it to you cos it's in his way and no paper work involved take it and say nothing. If he wants paper work involved make sure you don't exceed your nitrates limit

Not advice that I would be giving. Paperwork and you will always be 100%

Back