Reseeding

Kylemcnamara

Plan to reseed 2 acres in September. Relatively dry soil in Co. Limerick. Plan to cut silage off it, spray it, disc 2x and power harrow. Seed then roll. Fertilise with 2x bags and Gran lime. What's the opinions?

Would disc harrowing the stubble, or spraying the stubble left behind and disc after a week be good enough. I really want the seeds in by mid September

that's why we did it but as soon as the cows were fed the silage milk volume and protein dropped. We try now to have bales taken off it earlier in year now and after grazing let a bit of regrowth for a couple days then burn it off.
How many days after spraying did u mow.
Was it turning yellow?

I got lea ploughed in April , sowed spring barley in it . Not cut yet , but hopefully next fine day .
If that was to be ploughed again now , with the intention of reseeding it , wouldn't the scraw come up again ? Hardly rotted yet .
Would it be better to sow barley again next year ,
Or ,
What about powerharrowing the stubbles , and sow on the second run ? ,

I got lea ploughed in April , sowed spring barley in it . Not cut yet , but hopefully next fine day .
If that was to be ploughed again now , with the intention of reseeding it , wouldn't the scraw come up again ? Hardly rotted yet .
Or ,
Usually in a dry year like this the old sod would be turned back up again to some degree. I’d usually put 3 crops of barley into a ley field due for reseeding, just to give the soil and weed seeds a good chance of exposure.

Or ,
If you can get away with out it as grass for another year I’d consider winter barley, you’d have it off earlier so could have your reseeding done in august easily enough, you’d also have ploughed back up the top layer and any extra p&k that may have been in the top inches that got turned down this time. And any remaining sods would be broken down too.

Spend a bit of time on the winter barley seedbed, mainly making sure the ins and outs are fairly good then the field will be fairly ok to just till the top and sow the grass into, it should stay relatively firm and with the earlier grass sowing a better opportunity to get in with a weed spray, well unless your going mss then that doesn’t matter, and also you might even get to give it a light grazing in the back end with light stock or dare I say it white lice

Last edited:
Spray it before cutting and save 3 weeks at least.
Tried that before here. And wasn't a great success never again. If the crop is heavy and lying over spray won't get the grass on the bottom. All you will end up is tufts of old grass in a new reseed.

Or ,
We sowed down a lay too. Was cut last week. Just waiting on a digger to clean up a grip and am going to disk it and onepass the grass into it. It was fairly soddy when ploughing and I can see myself getting pure hardship if I went to turn it over again. Ground we have rented was in grass and you could see the sods again and that was a yr from when it was ploughed last

Or ,

I have a field here the same. I got it ploughed and I flat rolled it and gave three runs of the disc. I thought that it was grand and level until I went to cut it. Big difference between that field to drive on compared to fields tilled a couple of years. I am thinking of barley again for this field as its always cut for silage so I want it as level as possible.

If you can get away with out it as grass for another year I’d consider winter barley, you’d have it off earlier so could have your reseeding done in august easily enough, you’d also have ploughed back up the top layer and any extra p&k that may have been in the top inches that got turned down this time. And any remaining sods would be broken down too.

Spend a bit of time on the winter barley seedbed, mainly making sure the ins and outs are fairly good then the field will be fairly ok to just till the top and sow the grass into, it should stay relatively firm and with the earlier grass sowing a better opportunity to get in with a weed spray, well unless your going mss then that doesn’t matter, and also you might even get to give it a light grazing in the back end with light stock or dare I say it white lice

On the If I can get away with for another year ,

I leased 2 x 8 acre fields from an elderly uncle . Reseeded 20 odd years ago , very badly nourished , and ran out . I tried the 2 for silage the 1st year , middling crop , we cut our own , I wouldn't like to be paying for it . So I ploughed 1 of the 8 acre fields in 2022 and sowed barley in it , and meadowed the other . Its even worse crop this year . Hence , thinking reseed 1 and plough the other next spring . Few small bits of spring barley locally , no winter stuff , and if you had winter barley , you'd feed every crow within 10 miles . Plus I think winter costs more to grow, for little extra yield . Straw quality and yield would be the major bonus .

Back