Restoration/ Refurbs

There are lads restoring tractors for 30 years who aren't as busy
I've yet to have what I would classify as a proper ground up restoration. Have been trying to push lads into one but all they want is them tidied up so they can use them for work again and bring them on runs. I may start charging more. Might slow things down.:2guns:

Last edited:
All these 500 series are giving me nightmares, too many hours fixing the steering, PTO, lift, auxiliary hydraulics and rear casting.
Oh Jesus don't talk🙈. The 590 I'm at the minute has absolutely nothin right. Needs a new pto brake, levelling box, track rods, head gasket, the whole backend Is all seized up, the quadrant the only thing working. These French tractors. Praying this one I'm looking at buying hasn't anything hidden.:detective:

Last edited:
How do ye like d titan? Contractor that does our work here has a 190 its an animal but cost him a good bit to get going right
Absolutely love it. A beast of a tractor. Was lying up for a few years but from what i hear it did take little to get going again. Does take a bit of getting used to because there is a problem with the oil pressure in the gearbox where if you don't let off the clutch at a certain speed it will freeze up the transmission and you'll have to knock it on and off again to reset it, some thing with the revs too, when it warms up they do go up and down bit you'd get used to all them things. It's a great tractor, great to pull and great to drive.

Herself is from blayney, she’d skin ya alive for spelling it wrong, they’re gas people up there. Be interesting to see the job you do on it, ever do any 600 series masseys?
I dont know yet. May if I'll buy it first. Never done one on my own helped me uncle do up a 2wd 699 a while back. Have me eyes dead set on his brothers 698 when ever he goes to sell it which will probably be the first.

I would say there is a big difference between French built 590 and british built .Some of the british built ones were not half bad but as far as I know the French ones were alot more trouble

I would say there is a big difference between French built 590 and british built .Some of the british built ones were not half bad but as far as I know the French ones were alot more trouble
Well that one in fixing at the minute has the 2 door cab and is a French built one and there's that much rust on the cab every time you go over a bump you're destroyed with a shower of rust from god knows where in the cab.

There is a retired farmer living near me dropped his 575 off a, few years back I can't even remember what it needed doing just something to keep it half useable I presume.
Anyway my inner child came out and decided I'd drive it back to him.
Keeping in mind this yoke hadn't passed tick over in 15 years, out the, gate I went and into top gear and back with the hand throttle.
There was so much black smoke coming out of it the exhaust couldn't clear it quick enough you couldn't see behind you.
I let off straight away as I was afraid something might happen her.
I was telling a family friend that called a few days later about it and in a similar vain about 20 years ago he got the loan of a 5000 off his father in law to spread some slurry.
Like the massey once he put her under load she filled thr place with smoke but every load she was getting stronger and stronger and less smoke out of her, that was until later in the day she siezed solid

There is a retired farmer living near me dropped his 575 off a, few years back I can't even remember what it needed doing just something to keep it half useable I presume.
Keeping in mind this yoke hadn't passed tick over in 15 years, out the, gate I went and into top gear and back with the hand throttle.
There was so much black smoke coming out of it the exhaust couldn't clear it quick enough you couldn't see behind you.
I was telling a family friend that called a few days later about it and in a similar vain about 20 years ago he got the loan of a 5000 off his father in law to spread some slurry.
Like the massey once he put her under load she filled thr place with smoke but every load she was getting stronger and stronger and less smoke out of her, that was until later in the day she siezed solid
What's the moral of the story

It's called the Italian tune-up

😂. Know fella that done something similar with an 8011 Crystal. Bought it off a fella that only used to do or light work around the yard and within the first week of having it he decided to go ploughing with it. Well it wasn't 3 hours I'd say till it seized up on him.

First thing to do with a tractor thats had a leisurely life is to drop the jelly out of the sump. I removed the sump plug in a seized engine once and nothing came out but the level on the dipstick was normal. Had to remove the sump to scrape the sludge and jelly from it. Thats why they say change oil every 12 months or 300 hours, whichever comes first.

Back