Rotations

I'm more fluid up here, the weather has a habit of messing up my plans!
WW, WB, SB, SO and grass. Some fields are in continuous barley varying between spring or winter.
Some next to rivers can flood so tends to be spring cropped.
Spring oats are attractive, they were sowed at 8st/acre and yielded 3T. Chicken dung and 2 bags fertiliser, herb, 1 pgr and 1 fungicide.
Cheap!
I was considering dropping WW in favour of WB. WW and SB gives a headache coming into the store at the same time.
Loosely connected to aphids, has anyone noticed the amount of crane flys? I've grass fields with swarms of them, worrying for leather jackets next spring :scared:

In recent years gone from mostly continuous to (aspiration-ally at least)
Wosr/winter cereal/winter cereal/winter oats/winter wheat/spring beans/winter cereal/winter cereal
We are back in with wosr this autumn on the first block we implemented this in 8 years ago. Works well and suits direct drilling for a few reasons.

I wonder will I have a rotation named after me

Sorry Nash, it should have been clearer.

Basically, they were discussing the issue of aphids that are resistant to the current sprays. It’s all the more important with the loss of Deter.

They have shown that where a cereal crop is followed by a cereal crop, the chances of having resistant aphids in the second crop are much higher. I’m assuming that this is for winter cereals.

Interestingly too, over the years 16, 17 & 18, the percentage of aphids in the population that were resistant to the sprays seemed to be reducing. The view is that this was the effect of Deter which was also controlling the resistant aphids. Of course the worry now is that this trend will reverse.

Thanks for that Cork, it wasn't meant as a personal dig at you for posting but the extra context for the slide is useful :Thumbp2:

In recent years gone from mostly continuous to (aspiration-ally at least)
Wosr/winter cereal/winter cereal/winter oats/winter wheat/spring beans/winter cereal/winter cereal
We are back in with wosr this autumn on the first block we implemented this in 8 years ago. Works well and suits direct drilling for a few reasons.

I wonder will I have a rotation named after me
Not too many spring crops, is were a reason?

Back