Rough costs of a new shed.

MF265Man

Hi, I'm sure this question has been asked many times but I was wondering what the rough costs of building a 47 x 30 shed is supplied and erected. I have no experience in putting up sheds as its 15 year since we put up a shed and I was young at the time, so I wont be erecting the shed, but I will be building the walls myself if I decide to go for block walls. The plan is to use this shed for lambing ewes but we might end up using part of it for storing hay/straw as we are limited for space in our own hay shed.

Is it worth putting up extras like vented sheeting, skylights, 12ft vs 14ft eaves, sliding door, grant spec sheeting, non-drip sheeting etc. and what would be the extra costs involved?

My father reckons I'd be as well off to go for mass concrete walls. What would be the cost of them be?

Whats the best way to ventilate a shed like this? I'd be thinking spaced sheeting or a gap between the wall and sheeting would let too much rain in and straw would get damp very quickly. Have vented sheeting in one of our slatted sheds but I'm not convinced that it is as effective as it is supposed to be... yorkshire boarding worthwhile mabye?

Sorry for all the questions, but I'd like to know exactly what I want rather than wasting time going through different specs over the phone when I'm pricing sheds. I understand its hard to give me a price on here when there is so many variables, just looking for rough figures. Thanks again.

I have a current price for a 3 bay round roofed haybarn (to match existing) 30ft wide (same dims as yours)it will be grafted into its partner at one side including 9ft mass concrete walls back and one full side plus each side of front door which is 16ft wide. it will be 16’ 4” at the eaves.
No floor as it’s going into a concrete slab. 24k plus Vat.
The door will be extra which will cost me about 2.5k for electric roller remote control Galv and plastic coated slats.
Mine is for machinery and straw.

Hi, I'm sure this question has been asked many times but I was wondering what the rough costs of building a 47 x 30 shed is supplied and erected. I have no experience in putting up sheds as its 15 year since we put up a shed and I was young at the time, so I wont be erecting the shed, but I will be building the walls myself if I decide to go for block walls. The plan is to use this shed for lambing ewes but we might end up using part of it for storing hay/straw as we are limited for space in our own hay shed.

Is it worth putting up extras like vented sheeting, skylights, 12ft vs 14ft eaves, sliding door, grant spec sheeting, non-drip sheeting etc. and what would be the extra costs involved?

My father reckons I'd be as well off to go for mass concrete walls. What would be the cost of them be?

Whats the best way to ventilate a shed like this? I'd be thinking spaced sheeting or a gap between the wall and sheeting would let too much rain in and straw would get damp very quickly. Have vented sheeting in one of our slatted sheds but I'm not convinced that it is as effective as it is supposed to be... yorkshire boarding worthwhile mabye?

Sorry for all the questions, but I'd like to know exactly what I want rather than wasting time going through different specs over the phone when I'm pricing sheds. I understand its hard to give me a price on here when there is so many variables, just looking for rough figures. Thanks again.

There are a lot of variables around pricing even just levelling the site and so on and will you need longer pillars etc for some of it so hard to say.

My couple of comments, go 17ft to the eaves, will allow you stack bales four high. Go mass concrete walls, haven't done the maths on it but It's a no brainer from a time perspective and longevity. For a shed like that I wouldn't bother with non drip sheeting. Not sure I'd fully agree on the vented sheeting, we have a 40x30 with it, find it very airy. I'd be going with minimum 0.6 thickness for the sheeing. Sliding door is your own preference.

It's unclear where TAMS will go but maybe you are not going down that route.

Recent quote for 2 bay portal frame
31ft6 by 50 by 17 to the eaves
10 ft sheets 2 sides one end
No concrete
€14,250 plus vat

Very interested in this. Thinking similar here but maybe a bay more and 40 or 45ft wide.

Would you not consider using two 20ft bays and steel plurins? (You may be stuck for space)

I guess you can always add on again which was my thinking.

Very interested in this. Thinking similar here but maybe a bay more and 40 or 45ft wide.

Would you not consider using two 20ft bays and steel plurins? (You may be stuck for space)

I guess you can always add on again which was my thinking.
There is an intergenerational debate just beginning here:lol: that was only got to give us a ballpark
I think the shed will end up bigger than what was quoted but we have to knock it around a bit here first. Probably an extra span at least or maybe like you say. Is 20ft span the standard next step with steel purlins?

I presume all these sizes would require planning too, havent even looked at that yet.

5 bay x 40ft lean 2
steel and sheeting incl purlins non drip
side sheeting back and 1 side down to 6ft
~15.5+vat

excl digging and concrete

5 bay x 40ft lean 2
steel and sheeting incl purlins non drip
side sheeting back and 1 side down to 6ft
~15.5+vat

excl digging and concrete
That was good value. Was it free standing or bolted onto existing shed?
Are the rafters an angle truss or a beam?

Thanks, was looking at them sheds but do they not seem too good to be true at that price? Mabye someone on here has experience with them lads.
The devil is in the detail in a shed for that price . No pic of the steel work of the shed . . More than likely only 6x3 girders and little if any bracing .

There was one extra upright as the hay shed was only 4 bay but price did not include doors etc

Reactions: Bcl
There is an intergenerational debate just beginning here:lol: that was only got to give us a ballpark
I think the shed will end up bigger than what was quoted but we have to knock it around a bit here first. Probably an extra span at least or maybe like you say. Is 20ft span the standard next step with steel purlins?

I presume all these sizes would require planning too, havent even looked at that yet.

20ft with steel plurions would be the next step up. Depends on intended use too, 15ft bays are probably easier for pens etc but it sounds like in your case It's more of a storage shed anyway.

The devil is in the detail in a shed for that price . No pic of the steel work of the shed . . More than likely only 6x3 girders and little if any bracing .
They do have pictures of the steelwork in other ads, but they have ads listed under 3 or 4 different accounts. Dont think I'd trust a crowd like that anyways. Mabye there is someone on here who has heard about or dealt with them?

I made up my last shed myself. Bought steel shot blast and primed and cut with angles I wanted. Welded on plates and haunches myself. Some lads told me I was mad as I couldn't do it as cheap as I would buy one. And from looking on done deal I was about similar to prices I saw. But my shed was close to grant spec {ie I was one girder size smaller than grant spec) the ones on done deal were another size smaller than mine. Plus when you look at size of haunches etc they really skimped.
The grant spec is actually a brilliant piece of info to work from. Speaking to 2 different smaller shed builders and they both use it as their template. You can say it's way overboard and it probably is. But it's a spec to cover the whole country where you might be on an exposed side of a hill in the west or on top of a mountain with snow. But if you look at buying a shed and compare it to the s101 spec you can see where the savings were made and then decide for yourself if it's still well made or just about able to hold itself up

I made up my last shed myself. Bought steel shot blast and primed and cut with angles I wanted. Welded on plates and haunches myself. Some lads told me I was mad as I couldn't do it as cheap as I would buy one. And from looking on done deal I was about similar to prices I saw. But my shed was close to grant spec {ie I was one girder size smaller than grant spec) the ones on done deal were another size smaller than mine. Plus when you look at size of haunches etc they really skimped.
The grant spec is actually a brilliant piece of info to work from. Speaking to 2 different smaller shed builders and they both use it as their template. You can say it's way overboard and it probably is. But it's a spec to cover the whole country where you might be on an exposed side of a hill in the west or on top of a mountain with snow. But if you look at buying a shed and compare it to the s101 spec you can see where the savings were made and then decide for yourself if it's still well made or just about able to hold itself up
Thanks for that advice, I'll have a look at that.

I find that a good way to go about jobs too whatever you are building, find a good spec and match or better it with the material and do the labour yourself. Can’t go wrong, you usually will have A top class job. Of course you need the gear and talent too.

Am going doing a shed myself in the next few weeks. Has anybody got ideas where to get cladding at good value

As important as price is sheet thickness. Put no less then .6mm sheeting on the roof. Irish roll forming the last sheeting that was used here was got . That’s grant spec .6 sheeting. Tegral do very good sheeting have used it as well. Colour fades a bit quick on it though . Would always price one or two of the DoneDeal ads to compare. But the little to no savings you get from them . Pushed us towards dealing with the better known brand .

Back