Rough costs of a new shed.

What area is draining into that and how long does it take to fill?
Dungsted only, 14ft x 30ft and dung piled as high as possible. Straw in it from July to early December.

Dung cleaned out in June/July.

Tank fills either once or twice a year.

For a cheap small collection tank phone your local concrete tank company and enquire about any “reject” tanks they may have. I installed several reject septic tanks in dog runs or kennels etc, the tank was a standard 800 gal tank with its only imperfections being a bit of scuffing or discoloration at the edges. Tank would be supplied, delivered and dropped into the hole for 350 notes. It’s about five years since I fitted the last one.

I wonder where I saw it. :detective: only advantage is you have access at both ends so I've to move straw when I need mine :(
i,ve only access at one end so yours is a better job, i use the straw in the dungstead first so i have room by the time i need to clean out a shed

i,ve been driving on my tractor slats for 23 yrs now but i sometimes wonder how long will they last
Replaced slats in the first slatted shed build here last week. These were made by a local firm . I think that these were some of the first "gang slats" .
Replacing them with slats from the same firm. The old ones were 150mm deep/thick, the new ones are 190mm.
32 years
The old ones were quite dodgy , sagged and lumps had fallen off underneath. I was afraid of them, the last few years and only put weanlings in the shed.
Glad to have it done
20201203_090743.jpg20201203_090800.jpg20201203_090839.jpg

Last edited:
Replaced slats in the first slatted shed build here last week. These were made by a local firm . I think that these were some of the first "gang slats" .
Replacing them with slats from the same firm. The old ones were 150mm deep/thick, the new ones are 190mm.
32 years
The old ones were quite dodgy , sagged and lumps had fallen off underneath. I was afraid of them, the last few years and only put weanlings in the shed.
Glad to have it done
View attachment 84990View attachment 84993View attachment 84994
you were lucky that the extra 40 mm didn,t affect levels in the shed

32 years
Glad to have it done
They look good compared to what I took out 2 years ago, 10'6"gang slats in since 1985 in a similar shed.

Thats the good side of them, a lot of concrete missing underneath.
Suppose it depends on the type of stock on them.
Mine have deteriorated a lot since being take out, might take a pic of the remaining ones tomorrow, put a share of them in front of water troughs as a hard stand.

32 years
Glad to have it done
Have you a job for the old ones?

Nice job done in the journal( for the lads that won't buy it) last year with a neat cattle pen done with rsj's put standing and old cattle slats fitted in to them

32 years
Glad to have it done
Ya hadnt to far to go for them alright.damien redone our cow shed 5 yr ago.slat went in jan and 2 cows went down.replaced all that summer.surprised at how many broke up when we were lifting them out.old ones were 26 yr there .think they were " oakstown " slats supplied by the " builder " in aghnacliffe

Next door put slats in 1989,was Boxing Day 2000 when one gave way,5 cows went in,we fished 2 out alive,I bought the old slats and used them stood upright against a soil bank at the back of my silage clamp,moved them a couple of weeks ago and there near rubble now.👎

Supposedly steel is to take a 20% rise in Jan lads. Brother in law who fabricates sheds ran me to say. We are to do a meal shed next summer so going to order the steel now

Back