rush problem

I had the smaller of yhe 2 mulchers our local man has here for a few hours today. First bit the side of a hill that had bushes pulled off it about 10 years ago , and wasnt followed up on. Big bit in pic was 1 hrs work approx. Well covered with furze , most 5 ft high but some more. Other bit just rushes. Soil is what deadens her down, not bushes rushes etc. €45 an hr. Well worth it. A Seppi 2-5 m mulcher on TM 155.
View attachment 32604View attachment 32605View attachment 32606View attachment 32607

Sent from my GT-S7580 using Tapatalk

Just wondering what you next move is by look of the pics you could broadcast grass seed?

id say by the time you've climbed through all the red tape the gloss might of gone off it but i might be wrong.
id also imagine that if they thought they could sell it to farmers they would be at it long ago.

We used to get artic loads of ash from a power station, was fantastic stuff for puting under cattle! Layer of compost underneath and ash over the top for everything to drain through. Made good manure as well. Was just wood and paper pulp going in. Had a high value when used as lime.

All came to an end when some di#k shoved a bit of asbestos in with the wood to get rid of it! Now it all has to go to landfill! :angry:

Just wondering what you next move is by look of the pics you could broadcast grass seed?

I'm not sure SMID. I am more thinking of leaving it for the winter , as there is a bit of debris left on the ground, even if it is chopped up finely. I had a small heap of dung nearly beside it, and spread it on some of that yesterday. When I had the digger there , I stuck down the back bucket as a test. I was pleasantly surprised to find some soil there, a lot more than I expected anyway, as it is the side of a hill of poorish gravel. I wouldn't be inclined to plough it or even till it deep, unless you wanted to make a sundial of your behind, picking stones. I was thinking about re profiling the contour of the side of the hill , but I don't think it would make logical sense , from a cost point of view.

I'm not sure SMID. I am more thinking of leaving it for the winter , as there is a bit of debris left on the ground, even if it is chopped up finely. I had a small heap of dung nearly beside it, and spread it on some of that yesterday. When I had the digger there , I stuck down the back bucket as a test. I was pleasantly surprised to find some soil there, a lot more than I expected anyway, as it is the side of a hill of poorish gravel. I wouldn't be inclined to plough it or even till it deep, unless you wanted to make a sundial of your behind, picking stones. I was thinking about re profiling the contour of the side of the hill , but I don't think it would make logical sense , from a cost point of view.

When i did mine i left it for the winter and then came back the next year and sprayed with Grazon 90 to take care of any regrowth and let the grass return of its own accord. Might plough it after a few years when everything has settled down.

There could be more pictures put in here than lads cutting grass [emoji23]
uploadfromtaptalk1444751434144.jpg

Sent from my D2203 using Tapatalk

That's "hairy" old ground. That's a good cutting job.
Is that topper running on skids .
It has very small skids that's the bother with them and no anti scalp saucers as if you meet any hump you just take a few inches of earth off it.
Runs very low to the ground
uploadfromtaptalk1444770293650.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1444770306563.jpg

The rolls Royce way would be to put a few round feeders on it and feed a few cattle for a couple of wet weeks over the winter, then just a run of the power Harrow in the spring. That's easier said than done though, but leaving it idle for the winter would be a big help.

I had the smaller of yhe 2 mulchers our local man has here for a few hours today. First bit the side of a hill that had bushes pulled off it about 10 years ago , and wasnt followed up on. Big bit in pic was 1 hrs work approx. Well covered with furze , most 5 ft high but some more. Other bit just rushes. Soil is what deadens her down, not bushes rushes etc. €45 an hr. Well worth it. A Seppi 2-5 m mulcher on TM 155.
View attachment 32604View attachment 32605View attachment 32606View attachment 32607

[MENTION=2664]bruceythom[/MENTION], the3rd picture has the finest crop of nettles you are ever likely to see. I had a feeder there for a couple of weeks about 3 years ago. No docks . I also had a dung heap there the next year, mainly consisting of bog Mold, which I find a terror for nettles.
I won't sow it now anyway, just let it rot , and hit any re growth in the spring.

i had a twyman one of them out on demo one time, and i ended up buying a kuhn one of them but i brought her back after a month, she just wouldnt cut rushes no matter what way she was set up.
maybe they like stuff the shatters more than stuff that just sits on the flail dulling it to a hammer effect then yeah, she might be a good job.
i say that because if you look up the specs of one they are only rated for about 70-80 hp usually.
you can throw whatever you like at her after that but all you will end up doing is burning off the belts and leaving the tiny gearbox and outer bearing on her glowing.
found the bit she tried to cut horrid slow.
the twyman was the better of the two tho, but only marginally.
she didnt look like she would take too well to getin bounced about on rough roads, the sliding tubes didnt look too heavy to me either hot rolled steel or not.
im not running them down, just going on what i experienced of them.

i had a twyman one of them out on demo one time, and i ended up buying a kuhn one of them but i brought her back after a month, she just wouldnt cut rushes no matter what way she was set up.
maybe they like stuff the shatters more than stuff that just sits on the flail dulling it to a hammer effect then yeah, she might be a good job.
i say that because if you look up the specs of one they are only rated for about 70-80 hp usually.
you can throw whatever you like at her after that but all you will end up doing is burning off the belts and leaving the tiny gearbox and outer bearing on her glowing.
she didnt look like she would take too well to getin bounced about on rough roads, the sliding tubes didnt look too heavy to me either hot rolled steel or not.
I tink but I'm not sure the seppi ones are streets ahead of any other brand of flail type

As 6920 is just after saying now, the Seppi seems to be miles ahead of other mulchers. It wasn't the owner working it, but his son, who wasn't sure on some of the facts and figures etc of the machine. They bought a Bomford back maybe 10 years ago, but have done as much this season with the Seppi as they ever did with the Bomford, as they couldn't stop the belts slipping on it, even in rushes . I was mightily impressed with the Seppis work. As you can see , some of the furze were higher than the TM. He would set into them with the mulcher lifted 12-18 inches , drop it and drive out over it. Not a bother to it, unless there happened to be a heap of clay or a bank . He did 30 acres of rushes for 1 man, on land that floods occasionally. He did say that heavy rushes deaden it down more than bushes . He chopped up a whitethorn bush here , that could have been 4 or 5 inches thick.

As 6920 is just after saying now, the Seppi seems to be miles ahead of other mulchers. It wasn't the owner working it, but his son, who wasn't sure on some of the facts and figures etc of the machine. They bought a Bomford back maybe 10 years ago, but have done as much this season with the Seppi as they ever did with the Bomford, as they couldn't stop the belts slipping on it, even in rushes . I was mightily impressed with the Seppis work. As you can see , some of the furze were higher than the TM. He would set into them with the mulcher lifted 12-18 inches , drop it and drive out over it. Not a bother to it, unless there happened to be a heap of clay or a bank . He did 30 acres of rushes for 1 man, on land that floods occasionally. He did say that heavy rushes deaden it down more than bushes . He chopped up a whitethorn bush here , that could have been 4 or 5 inches thick.
http://www.seppi.com/en/mulcher-mower-shredder-tiller-stump-grinder/mulchers-heavy-duty/wbs-fh.html

if i was after something to chop up heavy scrub and money wasnt a problem then this is what id buy personally.
http://www.faeusa.com/us/land-clearing-products/pto-driven-heads/mulchers
she has a double belt drive which is something not many others do if any, and on top of that its built like a tank.

altho the biggest drawback to this type of machine is its too slow if your looking to chop up rushes, id say youd be going well if you were going 5kmh in them, not to mention the cost of it.

Just wondering lads is it too early to top da rushes and lick da regrowth or wud I be better just licking

Just wondering lads is it too early to top da rushes and lick da regrowth or wud I be better just licking
Think i would just top them if you want to do something or wait a few weeks till they start growing
Spray needs the target activly growing

Back