Sand blasting in cork

35b

Any recommendations for someone who does sand blasting in cork/west cork area? Have 4 rims to do. Want to send them to some lad and bring them straight home once done and prime and paint myself. I have my own equipment to spray

155d2431-b719-48eb-9645-ea1678e6ec96.jpeg8661c263-5d7e-4e85-ab90-c2a5cd6d3746.jpegff58d02b-1e4e-4652-b5c6-96f9b05dacf3.jpeg1416f533-af83-4873-8744-ce228eb5bca5.jpegSpeedy blast did another bit of work here.

Fast and friendly service.

The grubber is older than me I’d say. A Foster Acremaster, original colour was orange/red. Very little trace of the original paint was on it.

Jotun paint, a good thick layer onto the blasted steel.

Is anything safe from you and that spray gun ? Nice work.
I didn’t actually spray it, he has an airless sprayer. I would have got him just to prime it but to be honest I hadn’t time to paint it. His gear makes child’s play of something like the grubber. He could do a trailer very quickly.

A serious layer of paint. The blasting leaves a great rough surface to take the paint. Blasted with ground up glass.
Most of the paint on the floor is just on the blasting abrasive left over.

IMG_3348.jpeg

I hear he's going out painting sheds this year.

Sure he's been on the farmers journal don't you know!
I’ll be one of those lads who tells you that I painted your neighbours shed and then goes and tells your neighbour that I painted your shed.

I didn’t actually spray it, he has an airless sprayer. I would have got him just to prime it but to be honest I hadn’t time to paint it. His gear makes child’s play of something like the grubber. He could do a trailer very quickly.

A serious layer of paint. The blasting leaves a great rough surface to take the paint. Blasted with ground up glass.
Most of the paint on the floor is just on the blasting abrasive left over.

View attachment 133876
How did you manage to get the paint to dry fast enough in between coats at this time of the year?

How did you manage to get the paint to dry fast enough in between coats at this time of the year?
It only got one (heavy) coat. It was actually a good drying day here today. Actually I think he gave it two coats.
Some of these paints are quite quick drying.

I’ve been painting bits over the past few weeks, I allowed 24hrs between coats on the tractor meshes (4 separate coats).

It only got one (heavy) coat. It was actually a good drying day here today. Actually I think he gave it two coats.
Some of these paints are quite quick drying.
Did you need to use any undercoat with the blue paint used?

If you pay the money there are great products available alright.
I acquired some.paint destined for marine steel components years ago.and used them on various projects here that have lasted perfectly where the types you buy locally have corroded in similar situations
They were 2 pack types,some unusual in that there was a liquid and a powder to mix together to.make the paint.
The reason they came.my way was they were out of date for professional use.
I never tried buying them from their original suppliers but I presume they would be expensive.
There was a particular one called carbomastic aluminium from mebon(who don't seem to.exist now)and it was serious stuff,we had a scraper tractor with rusty front wheels ,a coat.if it and they are still perfect nearly 30 years later.

No, just straight onto the blasted metal.

The paint in question is designed as a single coat on bare metal.

Here’s a link: https://www.smlmarinepaints.co.uk/products/conseal-touch-up

There’s some fantastic quality coatings out there.
Would that paint be the job on rims? I don't know why tractor rims are so hard to keep right. I got them done professionally 3 or 4 years ago but tiny specks of rust appearing again especially at the edges and corners

Back