Scrap prices

Was there an old railway line going through your farm at some stage.
No, they used to be sold by the local coop (Imokilly, later part of Dairygold). The hay shed here has railway line pillars too. They used to erect sheds back in the day.

I’ve bought and made piers in recent years, generally galvanize now.
I know what you mean.

Based on @MF30 price estimate, they should be worth more for scrap.
Say 8ft long at €2/ft is €16.

Easily 150kg in weight I’d say. That’s €25 at €170/tn.
Are you weighing the ball of concrete at the bottom too! Thought they’d be lighter tbh.

Lol no, well definitely more than 100kg. It’s heavy stuff. Very dense.
I stood a few of them at a forestry lifting them by hand into the hole. The were heavy but were 4 inch wide at the back, there’s wider and heavier ones too which must be like yours. Great stuff that weetabix must be.

I stood a few of them at a forestry lifting them by hand into the hole. The were heavy but were 4 inch wide at the back, there’s wider and heavier ones too which must be like yours. Great stuff that weetabix must be.
These must be 6” on the wider side.

Funny stuff to weld, it metal can come away as a chunk.

No, they used to be sold by the local coop (Imokilly, later part of Dairygold). The hay shed here has railway line pillars too. They used to erect sheds back in the day.
Hayshed here on railway rail, know a lad that uses similar as straining posts, as he says they will be there long after me..

Hayshed here on railway rail, know a lad that uses similar as straining posts, as he says they will be there long after me..
Yes, it’s a special kind of steel.

I know a man that had grain stored in one of the haybarns. He snapped one of the uprights with a Volvo L70.

It was the mag I was using would hardly scratch it. Also had a piece of steel just last week used it to make a bracket and couldn’t drill it reckon it was hardened.
What sort of bit had you in it? If you have deep enough pockets you'll get the right bit to drill it

I’ve drilled them with the magdrill. Still sheds being put up a using them, as mentioned the reason they are meant to be used is they snap rather than bending

Drill them from time to time here. Harder than mild steel and you can find a really hard spot if you're unlucky. The trick is to give it the drill hard in short bursts. If you try to romance it gently the steel will only heat harden. Also, even on a flat back, clamp on a thick new flat piece because adhesion will beat you before anything else.

View attachment 87668

Lads do be mad for them to hang a gate ,remember paying 15 to20 pounds for 6 foot lengths for gates about 25 years ago .You would probably get E50 no bother with an ad on dd you biggest bother would be haing enough of them to sell .I have a couple off poles of a shed and was thinking of choping them for gate pillars would the Lidl plasma cutter cut them??

Back