Seed royalties

mcdp

Hi lads. I am I right in saying there's no royalties due on Barra oats as the variety is over 20 years old? It's not on the pvdo list of oat varieties. TIA

Just read the fine print and it said the list isn't exhaustive but I still recall something about royalties due only up to 20 years????

I think it is due for 30 years, but seeing as I first sowed Barra in '84 I reckon it must be off patent.

Crack open the champagne!!!!!

Sorry, couldn’t resist .....

€40/tonne saved.

Can you remember any other variety lasting over 30 years on the department recommended list?
An amazing variety.

Can you remember any other variety lasting over 30 years on the department recommended list?
An amazing variety.

I don’t think there has been anything that has come near it for longevity.
It’s yield also seems to have risen over the years (to a point) as new fungicides were developed.

Everyone has been trying over those 30 yrs to get within even one kph point of Barra but to no avail.
I’m delighted to say that we have got there with Isabel.

If it maintains the performance seen over the past 2 yrs of trials, Isabel looks to be a game changer.

Not only does it match the kph of Barra but it beats it in every one of approx 15 different trials over 2 yrs. 1/3 of these were winter sown and the rest were spring sown. It is beating Barra by 1-1.5 kph points. Also better on Kernel %. Obviously, it beats Husky and Keely by even more.

In the spring trials, it’s outyielding Husky and Keely by 5-6% consistently. Doing the same in organic trials.

Isabel will stay standing when everything else has brackled, there’s something different about it’s straw. It’s really white (to my eye) and refuses to breakdown even when it gets no fungicide whatsoever .

Normally I have seen it that a small seed size is required for an oat variety to have a high kph (Barra, Husky & Keely all have TGW approx 39g). Somehow Isabel bushels even more but with a large white grain (tgw over 40g) - this is a new one on me. It must be a very dense kernel.
I think this larger grain may mean less losses from the combine and also in grain cleaners as there will be less small light grains (just my own theory).

No info yet on winter hardiness but one of its parents is Husky.

As I say, it looks like a game changer.

Expected to get on the 2019 recommended list. Hopefully a small bit available after harvest 2018.

It also happens to be named after a little girl who has the misfortune of having an obsessive Cork tillage farmer as a father.

I don’t think there has been anything that has come near it for longevity.
It’s yield also seems to have risen over the years (to a point) as new fungicides were developed.

Everyone has been trying over those 30 yrs to get within even one kph point of Barra but to no avail.
I’m delighted to say that we have got there with Isabel.

If it maintains the performance seen over the past 2 yrs of trials, Isabel looks to be a game changer.

It also happens to be named after a little girl who has the misfortune of having an obsessive Cork tillage farmer as a father.

I didn’t think that I was that obsessive!

For someone semi thinking of keeping and using some of their own grain for seed what exactly is entailed in paying the royalties?. I assume once it's your own and grown on your own land it's fine.

For someone semi thinking of keeping and using some of their own grain for seed what exactly is entailed in paying the royalties?. I assume once it's your own and grown on your own land it's fine.
You are supposed to pay 50% of the standard rate, I think it is €40/ton, it is not too onerous. If you are getting it cleaned they are supposed to submit your details to the PVDO.
I don’t tend to bother with the seed treatments anymore

Dont forget to have a germination test done beforehand. Money weall spent in my experience.

You are supposed to pay 50% of the standard rate, I think it is €40/ton, it is not too onerous. If you are getting it cleaned they are supposed to submit your details to the PVDO.
I don’t tend to bother with the seed treatments anymore
I do tend to get my home saved seed cleaned, but not dressed.
I got Isabel Oats home saved and cleaned last year.
I put in the costs as follows, per ton of cleaned seed.
1.1 ton of home saved Oats @ €175/T = €192.50 / ton of clean seed.
I tend to re use seed bags from last year, but if you need new bags they are €20/T.
Cleaning and bagging only was €60/T.
Royalties were €40/T.
My extra labour helping with cleaning I put in @ €17.5/T.
Meaning my Oat seed stood me €310/T last autumn.

I do tend to get my home saved seed cleaned, but not dressed.
I got Isabel Oats home saved and cleaned last year.
I put in the costs as follows, per ton of cleaned seed.
1.1 ton of home saved Oats @ €175/T = €192.50 / ton of clean seed.
I tend to re use seed bags from last year, but if you need new bags they are €20/T.
Cleaning and bagging only was €60/T.
Royalties were €40/T.
My extra labour helping with cleaning I put in @ €17.5/T.
Meaning my Oat seed stood me €310/T last autumn.
Just out of idle curiosity what would commercial seed have cost from the merchants?

Just out of idle curiosity what would commercial seed have cost from the merchants?
Between €540 and €600??? I think, depending upon the deal you are able to get. I'd say even higher if you are not shopping around and leaving payment.

Well worth the effort so
I might be a bit high with my seed price, Teagasc last years seed in at €550, but I probably have my own Oats in a bit high as well should be no hassle saving over €200/ton if not dressing the seed and if you have a way to run it through the combine a second time to clean it you can save €250.

I might be a bit high with my seed price, Teagasc last years seed in at €550, but I probably have my own Oats in a bit high as well should be no hassle saving over €200/ton if not dressing the seed and if you have a way to run it through the combine a second time to clean it you can save €250.
Any idea how much a extra it would have cost you with seed dressing? Just to compare like with like.

Back