Seed

muckymanor

I'm wondering if there is anywhere in the west or midlands that sell redstart seed or if there is anywhere online or over the phone that will take a card payment and courier it out?

I'm wondering if there is anywhere in the west or midlands that sell redstart seed or if there is anywhere online or over the phone that will take a card payment and courier it out?
Mcguiness
Seed direct in slane will sort u out got grass seed delivered a few weeks ago sound people

Ah no. Just a small experiment with a couple of acres. I'll only learn by doing
I sowed 11 acres of it for winter 2019. Young heifers on it for the winter. Went in December 1st and left them on it unitl March 15th. They did well on it and did a great thrive after also, twas a mild winter, hardly any frost and no snow. They had access to stables but hardly ever went into them. Didn't eat much silage at all. Got as much Redstart as they could eat more or less. Super stuff to grow. Direct drilled into a silage field after cutting it using an Erth Agriseeder. Extremely labour intensive during the winter and I would never do it again being honest, if you could a harsh winter it would be a balls altogether. I could feed 200 cows in the yard while I'd be moving the fence and dealing with the 40 weanling heifers on the redstart. I'd build a shed before I'd consider sowing it again.

Ah lads yer making me doubt myself now. I have it sprayed off this last week since we took the silage off it. I had intended putting in redstart to buffer feed for mid september to mid october. Now that I have more bales than anticipated over there, I'm sort of thinking that I'd be wasting my time putting in redstart and money might be better spent on just getting a lad in with a guttler or allstrong auctis and just reseeding the thing.

Ah lads yer making me doubt myself now. I have it sprayed off this last week since we took the silage off it. I had intended putting in redstart to buffer feed for mid september to mid october. Now that I have more bales than anticipated over there, I'm sort of thinking that I'd be wasting my time putting in redstart and money might be better spent on just getting a lad in with a guttler or allstrong auctis and just reseeding the thing.
Redstart won't suit really for a short period like that. Takes about 10 days minimum to get their digestive systems used to the stuff, and by the time they are well used to it you are going to be taking them off it again if you are only planning on grazing it over a month in total. It won't be fully grown in mid September either I'd say. It certainly has a place in certain situations where housing is not available for the winter maybe, but I'd say it won't do what you want it to do in September and October before housing. In my opinion, sow grass in it ASAP. Remember if you sow Redstart in it now, you likely won't be back in grazing grass in the same field until June 1st 2022.

reseed it for gods sake mucky :closedeyes: if you have to atone for some sins or other and need to do penance then sow redstart or go to lough derg for a week

There would be a good lot of men sowing redstart around this part @muckymanor in regards to feeding it and that I can’t help you but I know the lads that are feeding it claim to be doing very well with it. If you want to try grow some contact sean o brein https://agritech.ie/find-a-distributor/ he is one of the sales reps in the Galway area, he was in college with me he’s cool as a breeze and would know his stuff on it. He can get any of them types of seeds.

Back