Seen for sale...

real as can be, cousin just bought the other 180-90 off him a few weeks ago, says he has a fine collection of fiats and new hollands up there, and yes that one would be a Brazilian import.
Oh the lucky sod. So that's where it ended up. A fine tractor. Would have bought it meself if I could gather the funds. Dessie must have one of every 90 series fiat, he was using 110-90s as garden ornaments last time I past the place.

What do we know about NC as trailer makers?
Seen a tidy looking 2014 grain trailer for sale.
Commercial axles and floaters.
Described as hardly used, off a grain farm.

I can get a new JPM standard gear on super singles for £3k less. I presume it can be upgraded to floaters too.

Which way would most go?

I can get a new JPM standard gear on super singles for £3k less. I presume it can be upgraded to floaters too.

Which way would most go?
I've used and loaded plenty NC dump trailers over the years and found them fine,loaded a new JPM tipper trailer once with drainage stone and the drawbar bent under the weight.not exactly related to what you are asking but that was my only experience with a JPM trailer and it put me off them for life.trailer was parked on a block at the time of loading.

Reactions: AYF
Also spoke to a friend recently who hauls a lot of silage etc with different outfits and he reckoned the stuff is not in the braughan trailers that are in the smith and that a smith will outlive a braughan. Braughan and redrock are pretty popular around here.not seen many other makes around this part

Also spoke to a friend recently who hauls a lot of silage etc with different outfits and he reckoned the stuff is not in the braughan trailers that are in the smith and that a smith will outlive a braughan. Braughan and redrock are pretty popular around here.not seen many other makes around this part
Older Smyths were not a patch on older Broughans, the newer ones are not old enough to know which is better.
I can see very little between them lately other than the extra size of the super cubes.

There's a lot of both around here and I wouldn't see a thing wrong with either tbh. There's contractor's with both and some not cared for particularly well and either seem to last well. If you were buying new it would be down availability and price not quality.

used a smyth and a broughan down at the port and jesus, that would test the axles and drawbar on the concrete especially with the silage sides up. lads with the tri-axles with steering on them having a grand ol' time meanwhile i cant turn as tight due to wearing the floatation tyres out. one thing i have noticed between the 2 trailers (smyth is a much older trailer compared to the broughan) is how the tailgate is opened. with the smyth, you can open the taile gate when you want. same when closing it. broughan, have to tip the trailer a few inches before you can open the door, same with closing. cant have the trailer fully down before closing the door

used a smyth and a broughan down at the port and jesus, that would test the axles and drawbar on the concrete especially with the silage sides up. lads with the tri-axles with steering on them having a grand ol' time meanwhile i cant turn as tight due to wearing the floatation tyres out. one thing i have noticed between the 2 trailers (smyth is a much older trailer compared to the broughan) is how the tailgate is opened. with the smyth, you can open the taile gate when you want. same when closing it. broughan, have to tip the trailer a few inches before you can open the door, same with closing. cant have the trailer fully down before closing the door
That is a safety issue, it is supposed to be on all trailers, someone probably bypassed it on the Smyth

I'm not pulling trailers anymore myself really, only saying what I heard I can't see any difference between them on the road but haven't pulled either or looked closely at them.

I'm not pulling trailers anymore myself really, only saying what I heard I can't see any difference between them on the road but haven't pulled either or looked closely at them.
Smyths adopted better suspension earlier, Broughans adopted better welding earlier, Broughans adopted better finish and painting earlier.
I would be in and around both factories regularly and I see very little between their standard trailers, Smyths are building way more massive trailers, (from Super Cubes to quad axles) Broughans make way more bespoke trailers and have a better repair and trailer servicing. They are both great trailers, some will always like one over the other.

Which way would most go?

Of the two, it would be NC. I'd be pricing up those tyres first though as that NC is almost 8 years old now regardless of how it was cared for.

Smyths adopted better suspension earlier, Broughans adopted better welding earlier, Broughans adopted better finish and painting earlier.
I would be in and around both factories regularly and I see very little between their standard trailers, Smyths are building way more massive trailers, (from Super Cubes to quad axles) Broughans make way more bespoke trailers and have a better repair and trailer servicing. They are both great trailers, some will always like one over the other.
I used to pull Smyth trailers 15 years ago and I thought they were heavy, but that was compared to timber sided Eurekas at the time. I had occasion to pull an empty Super Cube for a fair distance a couple of years ago and I thought it was a lovely trailer. I have also pulled a Broughan that carried well over 20 tonnes of grain and it was also lovely. When I win the lotto I will have a selection of both.

Which way would most go?
Might be a stupid question but why are you spending that kind of money on a trailer if a contractor is going to cut your silage?
I'd go for the NC but I know nothing about JPM.

I used to pull Smyth trailers 15 years ago and I thought they were heavy, but that was compared to timber sided Eurekas at the time. I had occasion to pull an empty Super Cube for a fair distance a couple of years ago and I thought it was a lovely trailer. I have also pulled a Broughan that carried well over 20 tonnes of grain and it was also lovely. When I win the lotto I will have a selection of both.
I had opportunity to go drawing with a new broughan for a few days this summer and I wish I could say the same as you about it. It was on the 6250r and whenever you'd go faster than 30kph woth over 20 tonne of grain the tractor the tractor and trailer would start bumping up and down gradually to the point where it would fire you off the seat. I dont know was it the tractor, the trailer or the wide wheels on the trailer at fault but it made for some very frustrating journeys. May as well have had it on the 8400

I had opportunity to go drawing with a new broughan for a few days this summer and I wish I could say the same as you about it. It was on the 6250r and whenever you'd go faster than 30kph woth over 20 tonne of grain the tractor the tractor and trailer would start bumping up and down gradually to the point where it would fire you off the seat. I dont know was it the tractor, the trailer or the wide wheels on the trailer at fault but it made for some very frustrating journeys. May as well have had it on the 8400
There are a multitude of reasons why that might happen but the first thing I'd be checking is the tyre pressures on the tractor. Have you a full or provisional license as a matter of interest.

An empty Super Cube would tell little about what it was like but I did hear of one filled to the last with heavy wet grass, tractor went to move off on an upslope and it reared and smashed the back of the cab against the front of the trailer.

An empty Super Cube would tell little about what it was like but I did hear of one filled to the last with heavy wet grass, tractor went to move off on an upslope and it reared and smashed the back of the cab against the front of the trailer.
Were the tractor and trailer using a Ball & Spoon hitch?
I find it puts way too much weight on the back of the tractor, unless the trailer is redesigned, they are a lovely hitch, but I don't fill the front of my Broughan any more because it transfers too much weight onto the tractor.

Were the tractor and trailer using a Ball & Spoon hitch?
I find it puts way too much weight on the back of the tractor, unless the trailer is redesigned, they are a lovely hitch, but I don't fill the front of my Broughan any more because it transfers too much weight onto the tractor.
Is it just that the ball is that bit further back? Sort of between hook and drawbar position?

Back