Seen for sale...

I could nearly guess the salesman name I dare say. The T160 I had was bought off them and they were great to deal with. Not so however when I changed to the T174 here now. Rang the same salesman and a rubbish price was offered for the trade so a more local dealer got it. I met Clarke's man sometime after and he knew me and asked if I was still thinking of trading the 160. That's well gone I said.
Perhaps he'll be keener next time if there is a next time.
I dont know why they operate like that. John Conaty is a more curtious salesmen, at least he'd allow a bit of haggling on the price and I must say he's very generous with his offers on scrap tractors, he may be hard to deal with on the phone but he is a good salesman in person. I talked to 2 mechanics who work for clarkes and they reckoned the new holland was the better buy so yourman didn't linger on it too long. He only really wanted the Claas for the loader.
20210705_123533.jpg

I dont know why they operate like that. John Conaty is a more curtious salesmen, at least he'd allow a bit of haggling on the price and I must say he's very generous with his offers on scrap tractors, he may be hard to deal with on the phone but he is a good salesman in person. I talked to 2 mechanics who work for clarkes and they reckoned the new holland was the better buy so yourman didn't linger on it too long. He only really wanted the Claas for the loader.
View attachment 100656
What’s the fault with the Massey I’m not interested in buying, just noisey really.

View attachment 100656
Is it any better to offer haggling on the price? You'll end up paying what they want for it anyway so why not just have the price in front of you to start with?

Is it any better to offer haggling on the price? You'll end up paying what they want for it anyway so why not just have the price in front of you to start with?
Well not the whole time. I often have done deals with John on scrap tractors and instead of him making an offer and he matches what I'm after as best he can, usually a few hundred off or on one occasion 1200 more than I asked for.The fact that yourman in clarkes wouldn't even come down 1000 euro on the price after being told if he did it would be sold that day is completley ridiculous.

Last edited:
What’s the fault with the Massey I’m not interested in buying, just noisey really.
I'm not too sure, think it was some thing to do with the gearbox and it had mad hours. I'm after having a look at the add and I'm only after seeing it's in new inn, the one I was on about was in kells not, sure if it's still there. I just glanced at it and thought it was it. She also had a front linkage too so my bad. Here's the one I was thinking of

Neighbor is after changing a 140 hp 2013 tractor with 6k hours for one a year old with 500 hours.same make same HP ,a better model.i guessed 45 k to change and was miles out.any guesses?
Not a green tractor

Well not the whole time. I often have done deals with John on scrap tractors and instead of him making an offer and he matches it as best he can, usually a few hundred off or on one occasion 1200 more than I asked for.The fact that yourman in clarkes wouldn't even come down 1000 euro on the price after being told if he did it would be sold that day is completley ridiculous.
If he'd listed it for sale at 1000 euro extra then knocked it off would it have been bought? Would it have been any cheaper?

60k. His trade is prob worth 50 ish and a new 1 is prob 105/110
While the price of his new 1 is mental, the price he is getting for his 2nd hand 1 is probably over inflated also.
I was told today that machinery dealers down this side are very quiet, so much uncertainty over the next 12 months and input costs on farms and also machinery prices have just gone off the wall.

60k. His trade is prob worth 50 ish and a new 1 is prob 105/110
While the price of his new 1 is mental, the price he is getting for his 2nd hand 1 is probably over inflated also.
I was told today that machinery dealers down this side are very quiet, so much uncertainty over the next 12 months and input costs on farms and also machinery prices have just gone off the wall.
Fully agree, but if you believed them their spin is busy busy busy.

Neighbor is after changing a 140 hp 2013 tractor with 6k hours for one a year old with 500 hours.same make same HP ,a better model.i guessed 45 k to change and was miles out.any guesses?
Not a green tractor
Lets see. A tractor coming up on 9 years old with 6k hours. I'd say he hadn't to much change out of 40-50k plus the vat.

Back