Seen for sale...

Mike

In the current climate, are the dealers that tend to have a 'the price is the price' no matter how long it takes to sell attidude, finally shifting the long term residents?

MeathMassey3

It just shows what they are making out of new stuff when they let the trade ins waste away .
Don't know about tractor trade ins but a friend of mine traded in a harbour, one of them nee model pzs not sure of the name and he got more than what he bought it new for 3 years ago.

MeathMassey3

In the current climate, are the dealers that tend to have a 'the price is the price' no matter how long it takes to sell attidude, finally shifting the long term residents?
Seems to be. A lot more people around me are keener to but a tractor privately now even if it implies the tractor is sold as seen with no warranty. Only thing that really attracts lads to the dealers is if they're buying brand new, want to finance their purchase or claim vat.

drew

I get the impression that they will not spend on them unless someone shows an interest and then its a case of what they might want sorted and what sort of warranty and that is then costed before a price is given, possibly makes more sense from a dealer point of view than putting money into a machine for it to continue to sit there because the price then appears too high.
I can understand not spending money but a simple thing of not giving it a quick blast of the washer or pumping a soft tire before taking pics to put up ads on dd gives a fairly poor first impression imo
found the same last year buying a tedder.called into a dealer in longford, had a new tedder in yard and went into the sales office.sales man was behind the desk wouldnt give me a price, " ah I don't know , I have to look it up." I replied sure ya must have an rough idea.
Rang McCullaghs and had a price back in 20 mins.dealt with them instead and no messing about.
total different attitude to doing business
If you were buying straight I really can’t understand not having a price for a machine that’s already in the yard. When trading in something I’d allow that it’s fair enough if they won’t give you an exact price but they can give you what the machine is worth and possibly a ball park for your own if they wanted too

Arthur

I can understand not spending money but a simple thing of not giving it a quick blast of the washer or pumping a soft tire before taking pics to put up ads on dd gives a fairly poor first impression imo

If you were buying straight I really can’t understand not having a price for a machine that’s already in the yard. When trading in something I’d allow that it’s fair enough if they won’t give you an exact price but they can give you what the machine is worth and possibly a ball park for your own if they wanted too
The slow puncture one won't cost much to sort and a lame yoke does not look well not to mention the damage to a tyre wall if over a prolonged period.

nashmach

Id agree plenty of yokes, and even a few machines that wouldn’t take much sitting in yards that haven’t even been washed from the day they were brought in.

I think there’s to many bean counters in some places now and no one actually paying any attention front of house now. Stood in one fancy new show room the other day without so much as a “hello I’ll be with you in a few minutes” for about 15 minutes, even walking out with someone else and coming back on the phone, finishing one call and making another before saying anything, whilst 2 or 3 other sat in the back behind glass looking out. We could have been customers standing there looking to buy a brand new combine for all they knew and it would have put me off. Walked into another and even though the guy behind the counter was busy a quick hello and as soon as free asked what could be done.

Are you following me around!! That's an instant turnoff for me. Maybe It's no wonder that the vast majority of my business is done with owners of their small business which has the personal touch.

One place the owner had about six things going on but made time to talk through a machine with us etc, that is appreciated. Should not beholding to anyone.

nashmach

I get the impression that they will not spend on them unless someone shows an interest and then its a case of what they might want sorted and what sort of warranty and that is then costed before a price is given, possibly makes more sense from a dealer point of view than putting money into a machine for it to continue to sit there because the price then appears too high.

These were more sold as seen. Simple things which in my eyes would improve their marketability.

nashmach

You might have to travel abit further to get a right drill.😎

I've travelled enough the last few days and seen so much expensive scrap that any reason to indulge for 2021 is seriously gone away and any enthusiasm equally gone. I've wasted enough time at this stage down in the south east.

I think I'll be back to the trusty MF30 at this stage, how fast can it go on the Legend!

nashmach

Seems to be. A lot more people around me are keener to but a tractor privately now even if it implies the tractor is sold as seen with no warranty. Only thing that really attracts lads to the dealers is if they're buying brand new, want to finance their purchase or claim vat.

I know It's a general statement but most main dealers are now a waste of time for anything over 15 years old and certainly for the average/smaller farmer that is not much good with the price of machines today.

drew

The slow puncture one won't cost much to sort and a lame yoke does not look well not to mention the damage to a tyre wall if over a prolonged period.
I’d agree completely, when I said spending money I was more thinking in terms of bigger ticket spends like for example replacing a cracked mudguard, if a buyer wants it done then it can be factored in, but stuff like an inch of clay on top off a machine or a flat tire is small and easy to sort.
Are you following me around!! That's an instant turnoff for me. Maybe It's no wonder that the vast majority of my business is done with owners of their small business which has the personal touch.

One place the owner had about six things going on but made time to talk through a machine with us etc, that is appreciated. Should not beholding to anyone.
Isn’t there some saying about ships passing in the night 😂, I think we’ve walked similar ground a good few times the last while!
I don’t mind having to wait a bit if they are busy dealing with someone but to pretty much feel ignored, then eventually get pointed in the direction of where something is and left by being told how to get back to the jeep when finished looking at it without even mentioning getting someone to look it over with you was a serious f up and gave no impression of even wanting to try sell something.

nashmach

I’d agree completely, when I said spending money I was more thinking in terms of bigger ticket spends like for example replacing a cracked mudguard, if a buyer wants it done then it can be factored in, but stuff like an inch of clay on top off a machine or a flat tire is small and easy to sort.

Isn’t there some saying about ships passing in the night 😂, I think we’ve walked similar ground a good few times the last while!
I don’t mind having to wait a bit if they are busy dealing with someone but to pretty much feel ignored, then eventually get pointed in the direction of where something is and left by being told how to get back to the jeep when finished looking at it without even mentioning getting someone to look it over with you was a serious f up and gave no impression of even wanting to try sell something.

Ah here, Covid or not, there is no excuse for that.

MeathMassey3

I know It's a general statement but most main dealers are now a waste of time for anything over 15 years old and certainly for the average/smaller farmer that is not much good with the price of machines today.
We were looking at a 2850 out of meath farm there last year. It was no oil painting but was straight and genuine enough. It was all there and wasn't tarted up, I would have put a value of 10000 on it at the time. The dealer wanted 15000 so that ended that expedition. Don't know if it's still sitting there.

Arthur

Are dealers too busy selling new to bother fixing older stuff?
If you value time at 80/hr it will be easier to sell the machine as is to someone who doesn't value their time,which describes many machinery lovers and farmers
As an example the SPFH I traded was sold as seen, it needed some fairly basic stuff that involved a bit of time and 2 lads but no great mechanical experience, the chute would have to come off and the tower between it and the blower replaced, the garage would have charged the parts at full cost plus the labour whereas the man that bought it could tipp away at it in his spare time and shop around for the best deal on the parts.

nashmach

Are dealers too busy selling new to bother fixing older stuff?
If you value time at 80/hr it will be easier to sell the machine as is to someone who doesn't value their time,which describes many machinery lovers and farmers

Not everyone can afford new, surely it's better to have as wide a customer base as possible to insulate your business in the case of a downturn.

Last year was probably a golden year for most dealers, it would be reckless to think that it would continue this year or next for that matter.

It's not all about sales either what about parts down the line for these machines.

Barrowsider

Last year was probably a golden year for most dealers,
Would you think this was the case? I'm sure the FTMTA or whoever will claim another mad increase in sales but were dealers that busy? Perhaps it's a regional thing but given most sectors had a good year I would have expected to see more shiney metal move into farm yards. Certainly compared to previous vintage years (e.g. 08 and 13) there's less business done around here.

indecisive sort