Seen for sale...

I never though there was such a thing, my Grandfathers brother used to say they had one aswell as a chaseside for filling trucks when they used to draw stone for the council with an AEC Mammoth Major and a Guy j6 in the early 70s, had the 2 loaders in the beginning but got rid of 1 of them later on as one was doing the job, grandad on the other hand always maintained they had the chaseside and that the other loader was a weatherhill, I used to take grandads account of things as the most accurate but now I'm having second thoughts😅

There was hardly that many county loaders built.
There were a couple of firms basing a loader on a county skid unit, think one was scandinavian. That type above were dutch, built for work on the polders, 9 built seems to be the figure from a guy i've spoke to over there. The one here also came from the Netherlands but can't find any history about it.

There were a couple of firms basing a loader on a county skid unit, think one was scandinavian. That type above were dutch, built for work on the polders, 9 built seems to be the figure from a guy i've spoke to over there. The one here also came from the Netherlands but can't find any history about it.
I'd say more than likely the other loader was more than likley a weatherhill, grandad would go a fair distance to get something but I don't think he'd go as far as the Netherlands for a loading shovel😅

Bord Na Mona must have not been fussy about blue or terracotta but as you say it's been for sale for a good few months now!

@Nashty I think has a 4wd L65 and had said something similar about his.

I was told of a 4835 being traded in and will be bought for between 14 and 15k, I think it was. Its definitely 4wd but not sure if it includes a loader too. Trade sale I think too. It's the same as a L65.
Ya thats it, mostly just used on a log splitter, power washer, bale wrapper and sprayer nowadays, a bit small and light for anything else really. Remarkably reliable tractor though, still on original clutch and one of the guys who put a lot of the hours on it was a rough rough operator

Ya thats it, mostly just used on a log splitter, power washer, bale wrapper and sprayer nowadays, a bit small and light for anything else really. Remarkably reliable tractor though, still on original clutch and one of the guys who put a lot of the hours on it was a rough rough operator

To be fair, they really are only a Fiat with updated cab and styling!

Another bord na mona special
I'd say there's plenty more to follow, alot of lads must have bought them with the mindset of giving them a quick lick of paint and flogging them on with the intention of making a few Bob, they must all be done their resprays now and are all selling them at once, not a very encouraging sight on the last 2 that I've seen so far with both of them not taking much time to clean the old peat dust out of the inside of the cabs, would make you wonder how much was done to the rest of the tractor🤔

Last edited:
Another bord na mona special
also like the fact there's no clear photo of the backend of it, they must think people will be oblivious to the fact it has no pick up hitch when they go to view it. They're away with fairy's looking 25k for it anyway, I would think 16-18k would be a generous offer for it.

I don't know, presuming that the hours are genuine it's got a lot of work left in it and is straight looking.
A seat and a hitch,3 or 4 k and you have a capable tractor
I agree, fine tyres on it too, and a seat cover would get you away for a while at least.
Do we know for a fact that it doesnt have a PUH?

There is a pic showing no PUH alright
eyJidWNrZXQiOiJkb25lZGVhbC5pZS1waG90b3MiLCJlZGl0cyI6eyJ0b0Zvcm1hdCI6ImpwZWciLCJyZXNpemUiOnsiZml0IjoiaW5zaWRlIiwid2lkdGgiOjEyMDAsImhlaWdodCI6MTIwMH19LCJrZXkiOiJwaG90b18yMDU0ODkwNzQifQ==

I don't know, presuming that the hours are genuine it's got a lot of work left in it and is straight looking.
I have to wonder about these Bord na Mona tractors. The hours are small on them but what care and servicing did they actually get ? The general state of them when auctioned always put me off. They look like they had zero care and they seem to make silly money.

I have to wonder about these Bord na Mona tractors. The hours are small on them but what care and servicing did they actually get ? The general state of them when auctioned always put me off. They look like they had zero care and they seem to make silly money.
Anyone that worked in BNM in the mechanical department would say that they were serviced at half the specified hours with the best oils and genuine parts. The problem was not the servicing, but the array of drivers that these machines usually had. As you say, they got zero care and often had a different driver every day. In the last few auctions, many machines went through with several parts missing - starters, pumps, lights, seats, etc. etc. When lads knew that they were not going to be worked any more, there was a free for all. I'll bet if you could get into some farm sheds in these bog areas, there's sheds of spare parts for whatever model tractor is on the farm.

I suppose but you just never know. One rough operator can ruin a tractor in no time. They didn't get rid of any of them bord na mona special features like the keg or big air breather, not a bad tractor but I certainly wouldn't give 25k for it.

I agree, fine tyres on it too, and a seat cover would get you away for a while at least.
Do we know for a fact that it doesnt have a PUH?
I'd bea fairly confident it hasn't, only ever seen one bord na mona machine with hitch and even at that I think yourman that bought it put it on it. I wouldn't mind the seat so long as it still has a bit of spring in it:lol:

Anyone that worked in BNM in the mechanical department would say that they were serviced at half the specified hours with the best oils and genuine parts. The problem was not the servicing, but the array of drivers that these machines usually had. As you say, they got zero care and often had a different driver every day. In the last few auctions, many machines went through with several parts missing - starters, pumps, lights, seats, etc. etc. When lads knew that they were not going to be worked any more, there was a free for all. I'll bet if you could get into some farm sheds in these bog areas, there's sheds of spare parts for whatever model tractor is on the farm.
I've a friend who got a rake of old ford sims pumps out off one of their workshops some 30 years ago when they were scrapping their old fordson based machines. Still has them in drawers scattered throughout his workshop. They were meant to be very self sufficient on the bog.

I’ve a ex bord na mona Massey 4260 it’s a 12 12 power shuttle which is very rare, but just bord na mona saving a few 100 euro when ticking the option list, didn’t go through a auction the driver bought it privately off bord na mona and sold it again a few years later. I’ve it over 9 years and it’s been flawless needed a new ECU but that’s common enough on the power shuttle models anything else was just general wear and tear. It has a pickup hitch from new.

I’ve a ex bord na mona Massey 4260 it’s a 12 12 power shuttle which is very rare, but just bord na mona saving a few 100 euro when ticking the option list, didn’t go through a auction the driver bought it privately off bord na mona and sold it again a few years later. I’ve it over 9 years and it’s been flawless needed a new ECU but that’s common enough on the power shuttle models anything else was just general wear and tear. It has a pickup hitch from new.
that's the only other place I seen one, a 6190 massey a friend of a friend bought. Think he sold it there last year. Hadn't mant complaints about it other than a few panels missing inside the cab.

While tyres are almost 200 percent tread , they are 20 plus years old. Could start giving trouble any day.

Would the tms be a Safeish bet? The range command gearbox would be hard to dog as you can't go from top gear to bottom gear without going through each gear.
Everything can be dogged. But range command is just about a safe a bet as you can get. Syncros are their biggest weakness bit not the end of the world either.

Reactions: c4l
While tyres are almost 200 percent tread , they are 20 plus years old. Could start giving trouble any day.

Would the tms be a Safeish bet? The range command gearbox would be hard to dog as you can't go from top gear to bottom gear without going through each gear.

Everything can be dogged. But range command is just about a safe a bet as you can get. Syncros are their biggest weakness bit not the end of the world either.
and if at around 10-12k hours, people tend to do the engine head as a precautionary

The only other local man around me who'd do up tractors is selling his baby. I almost can't believe he is. He must have every tiny thing you could think of. One of the finest ones in the country.
The 3350 is on its way to Cork. Went for 27k.
Must have been a change of plan somewhere
https://www.donedeal.ie/view/30091583

Back