Seen for sale...

Like everything, modern dealerships are run by accountants now so the garage is run separately from the sales department. As a result, every hour a second-hand tractor spends in the garage is charged at the full rate of €80 per hour or whatever the going rate is and has to be added on to the sales price at the end. In the past, if the garage had a quiet day a second-hand tractor would be pulled in for tidying up. Now the lads in the garage could be twiddling their thumbs with a heap of work sitting outside the door on the forecourt.

Agreed. But the bean counters usually have it so tight that there wouldn't be those quiet days in the garage!

I've been in a lot of garages the last few days and there are a lot of machines that could be tidied up with minimal cost and labour but no we will leave them out to rust.

Agreed. But the bean counters usually have it so tight that there wouldn't be those quiet days in the garage!

I've been in a lot of garages the last few days and there are a lot of machines that could be tidied up with minimal cost and labour but no we will leave them out to rust.
Id agree plenty of yokes, and even a few machines that wouldn’t take much sitting in yards that haven’t even been washed from the day they were brought in.

I think there’s to many bean counters in some places now and no one actually paying any attention front of house now. Stood in one fancy new show room the other day without so much as a “hello I’ll be with you in a few minutes” for about 15 minutes, even walking out with someone else and coming back on the phone, finishing one call and making another before saying anything, whilst 2 or 3 other sat in the back behind glass looking out. We could have been customers standing there looking to buy a brand new combine for all they knew and it would have put me off. Walked into another and even though the guy behind the counter was busy a quick hello and as soon as free asked what could be done.

I get the impression that they will not spend on them unless someone shows an interest and then its a case of what they might want sorted and what sort of warranty and that is then costed before a price is given, possibly makes more sense from a dealer point of view than putting money into a machine for it to continue to sit there because the price then appears too high.

Id agree plenty of yokes, and even a few machines that wouldn’t take much sitting in yards that haven’t even been washed from the day they were brought in.

I think there’s to many bean counters in some places now and no one actually paying any attention front of house now. Stood in one fancy new show room the other day without so much as a “hello I’ll be with you in a few minutes” for about 15 minutes, even walking out with someone else and coming back on the phone, finishing one call and making another before saying anything, whilst 2 or 3 other sat in the back behind glass looking out. We could have been customers standing there looking to buy a brand new combine for all they knew and it would have put me off. Walked into another and even though the guy behind the counter was busy a quick hello and as soon as free asked what could be done.
found the same last year buying a tedder.called into a dealer in longford, had a new tedder in yard and went into the sales office.sales man was behind the desk wouldnt give me a price, " ah I don't know , I have to look it up." I replied sure ya must have an rough idea.
Rang McCullaghs and had a price back in 20 mins.dealt with them instead and no messing about.
total different attitude to doing business

It may surprise you but I agree with everything you have posted here today on this topic, It's what I have seen myself when I was looking.

It's much easier to get the nice example at or below 100hp but go above 125hp and It's as you say for older tractors, pay a low amount and spend on repairs and hope to God it won't break you or try and buy as mint an example as you can.

On your post above, I don't think It's the case here but I've heard several dealers say bar washing, they don't do much with tractors now (unless they are that bad), some customers might buy that example as is while others won't touch unless mint and get the garage to deal with it. 2 very different deals.

I know in either case I'd prefer to see it warts and all rather than lipsticked.
I think there's a case somewhere for having them going out perfect.
Even if not tarted up but just mechanically right.
If you look after a customer he will be back.

In the current climate, are the dealers that tend to have a 'the price is the price' no matter how long it takes to sell attidude, finally shifting the long term residents?

It just shows what they are making out of new stuff when they let the trade ins waste away .
Don't know about tractor trade ins but a friend of mine traded in a harbour, one of them nee model pzs not sure of the name and he got more than what he bought it new for 3 years ago.

In the current climate, are the dealers that tend to have a 'the price is the price' no matter how long it takes to sell attidude, finally shifting the long term residents?
Seems to be. A lot more people around me are keener to but a tractor privately now even if it implies the tractor is sold as seen with no warranty. Only thing that really attracts lads to the dealers is if they're buying brand new, want to finance their purchase or claim vat.

I get the impression that they will not spend on them unless someone shows an interest and then its a case of what they might want sorted and what sort of warranty and that is then costed before a price is given, possibly makes more sense from a dealer point of view than putting money into a machine for it to continue to sit there because the price then appears too high.
I can understand not spending money but a simple thing of not giving it a quick blast of the washer or pumping a soft tire before taking pics to put up ads on dd gives a fairly poor first impression imo
found the same last year buying a tedder.called into a dealer in longford, had a new tedder in yard and went into the sales office.sales man was behind the desk wouldnt give me a price, " ah I don't know , I have to look it up." I replied sure ya must have an rough idea.
Rang McCullaghs and had a price back in 20 mins.dealt with them instead and no messing about.
total different attitude to doing business
If you were buying straight I really can’t understand not having a price for a machine that’s already in the yard. When trading in something I’d allow that it’s fair enough if they won’t give you an exact price but they can give you what the machine is worth and possibly a ball park for your own if they wanted too

I can understand not spending money but a simple thing of not giving it a quick blast of the washer or pumping a soft tire before taking pics to put up ads on dd gives a fairly poor first impression imo

If you were buying straight I really can’t understand not having a price for a machine that’s already in the yard. When trading in something I’d allow that it’s fair enough if they won’t give you an exact price but they can give you what the machine is worth and possibly a ball park for your own if they wanted too
The slow puncture one won't cost much to sort and a lame yoke does not look well not to mention the damage to a tyre wall if over a prolonged period.

Are you following me around!! That's an instant turnoff for me. Maybe It's no wonder that the vast majority of my business is done with owners of their small business which has the personal touch.

One place the owner had about six things going on but made time to talk through a machine with us etc, that is appreciated. Should not beholding to anyone.

These were more sold as seen. Simple things which in my eyes would improve their marketability.

You might have to travel abit further to get a right drill.😎

I've travelled enough the last few days and seen so much expensive scrap that any reason to indulge for 2021 is seriously gone away and any enthusiasm equally gone. I've wasted enough time at this stage down in the south east.

I think I'll be back to the trusty MF30 at this stage, how fast can it go on the Legend!

Seems to be. A lot more people around me are keener to but a tractor privately now even if it implies the tractor is sold as seen with no warranty. Only thing that really attracts lads to the dealers is if they're buying brand new, want to finance their purchase or claim vat.

I know It's a general statement but most main dealers are now a waste of time for anything over 15 years old and certainly for the average/smaller farmer that is not much good with the price of machines today.

The slow puncture one won't cost much to sort and a lame yoke does not look well not to mention the damage to a tyre wall if over a prolonged period.
I’d agree completely, when I said spending money I was more thinking in terms of bigger ticket spends like for example replacing a cracked mudguard, if a buyer wants it done then it can be factored in, but stuff like an inch of clay on top off a machine or a flat tire is small and easy to sort.
Are you following me around!! That's an instant turnoff for me. Maybe It's no wonder that the vast majority of my business is done with owners of their small business which has the personal touch.

One place the owner had about six things going on but made time to talk through a machine with us etc, that is appreciated. Should not beholding to anyone.
Isn’t there some saying about ships passing in the night 😂, I think we’ve walked similar ground a good few times the last while!
I don’t mind having to wait a bit if they are busy dealing with someone but to pretty much feel ignored, then eventually get pointed in the direction of where something is and left by being told how to get back to the jeep when finished looking at it without even mentioning getting someone to look it over with you was a serious f up and gave no impression of even wanting to try sell something.

I’d agree completely, when I said spending money I was more thinking in terms of bigger ticket spends like for example replacing a cracked mudguard, if a buyer wants it done then it can be factored in, but stuff like an inch of clay on top off a machine or a flat tire is small and easy to sort.

Isn’t there some saying about ships passing in the night 😂, I think we’ve walked similar ground a good few times the last while!
I don’t mind having to wait a bit if they are busy dealing with someone but to pretty much feel ignored, then eventually get pointed in the direction of where something is and left by being told how to get back to the jeep when finished looking at it without even mentioning getting someone to look it over with you was a serious f up and gave no impression of even wanting to try sell something.

Ah here, Covid or not, there is no excuse for that.

I know It's a general statement but most main dealers are now a waste of time for anything over 15 years old and certainly for the average/smaller farmer that is not much good with the price of machines today.
We were looking at a 2850 out of meath farm there last year. It was no oil painting but was straight and genuine enough. It was all there and wasn't tarted up, I would have put a value of 10000 on it at the time. The dealer wanted 15000 so that ended that expedition. Don't know if it's still sitting there.

Back