shed painters?

James

do many of you get these guys calling round offering to paint your shed?
had one calling here the last few days.
last time we got one done we were the ones that got done as it washed off in the rain to the point now that it looks like it was never painted.

Yeah get those too:no: I wouldn't trust them either, they did my uncles farm a few years ago, put more on the walls and floor than on the sheeting, a real dark gray then, almost black, he wasn't impressed:no: I'm fit and stupid enough to do ours here anyway

A new one is lads selling security and calving cameras, which is apt and ironic:001_rolleyes:, had two different lads in last few weeks. Best not to give them any hint you're interested, plenty of legit guys around.

Havent had them call here in ages, the pvc coated sheeting is a great deterrant :thumbup1:

Last crowd that were here (prob 15 years ago) promised the moon and stars, they would clean the roof thoroughly and treat any rusty patches. My ass, they just blasted it with watery paint, and didnt even bother to paint the last place they were standing. :sneaky2:

I wouldnt let the 'travelling' painters inside the gate now. :thumbdown:

Used to call here all the time before, not with the last year or so now. Dad got them once to paint the sheds years ago and they made a right balls of it. Thinned down the paint to nothing. All peeled off within a few years.
Got a local lad to do them about two years ago. He wasn't cheap, but is known and did a good job :thumbup1:

We cleared any unknown fellas who started calling, some would keep calling a second or third time. Couldn't get rid of them.:thumbdown:

You forgot to mention the diesel lads :whistling:

We got a localish man also after we had seen his work - we supplied paint and thinners and he did the rest. A very good job and we were and are very happy.

The key with these guys is not to buy anything off them and be very short and sharp with them. Can't remember when we had the last one in the yard. We have a "No Entry" sign on the gate and Dad asked him Did he see the sign - gone in 20 seconds. And that is not to say there isn't enough of them around here :whistling::001_rolleyes:

Had one paint the barn roof here near on 20 years ago, promised to give it 2 coats. The 2 coats were spray over it the one way, 1 coat then over again as he swung back, 2 coats.

Not only did he spray the roof but he splattered all the legs and the yorkshire boarding. We made him do the legs in red oxide to tidy them up and took all the yorkshire boarding off and reversed it ourselves as it looked that bad.

The roofs will never be painted again, don't want cowboys and i value my safety too much to do it myself. If and it is an if the roof rusts through it'll get replaced, not that much deare than they charge to paint it.

ive had my fair share of them here too.
last yr one called in, he did a shed locally and i had looked at it and to be fair it was well done.
but thats one of the tricks, do the first one well, leave for a while til the word goes round and then return with a different paint:whistling:.

neways, deal done, worker landed to wash sheds, spent 1/2 day washing one side of the slatted shed, boss man landed and they washed the rest of the shed's in the other half of the day:001_rolleyes:.
i wasnt happy with result next morn so i got him back to do it right, deal was 100% job or no money.

he sprayed sheds one day i was away, when i landed back everything was sprayed, inc walls and skylights.
they run out of brown paint on the last shed and mixed black n green together, not exactly good at colour matching either...:whistling:.
it was brown, and looked fairly ok but i wasnt happy with the overall job so i cut him in his money, he wouldnt answer the phone nor call to see me, instead he sent his worker to collect, he went home with half of the money and a warning not to be cummin lookin for the rest.
4 mths later and the sun changed the vandyke brown to coco brown, its damn near black really.

sooo, another one landed 6 mths ago,
he says, i see ya got a bad paint job done,
thats right says i.
ill spray it right for you he says.
i said id like to see the paint,
no bother he says, its the best of the best, comes out of harland and wolf:001_rolleyes:
opens trailer, lid off the barrel and sure enuf its the same feckin paint the last man used...
says i, ill tell you what, do one shed for me, ill pay you with a dated cheque for 60 days now, if its ok by then you cash away, if the paint isnt right ill cancel the cheque.
he says no bother at all, he was promising the sun moon and stars re the paint and the workmanship so seemed willing enuf to put his money where his mouth was.
he says ill start right now, but i need to go into town to get petrol for the sprayer.

havnt seen him since....

only way to paint sheds imo is to do it yourself.

In fairness to the man who did ours, he did a good job depite annoying us every second half hour to get this and that for him. He's well known and does a good job even if dad thought he was dear. The big 'A' roof shed is now re-roofed with the colour coded sheeting. No more painting for that :thumbup1:

Re-roof the lean too's now the next time, no more painting them.

In fairness to the man who did ours, he did a good job depite annoying us every second half hour to get this and that for him. He's well known and does a good job even if dad thought he was dear. The big 'A' roof shed is now re-roofed with the colour coded sheeting. No more painting for that :thumbup1:

Re-roof the lean too's now the next time, no more painting them.

Same here, there is only one lean to left with painted tin.
Is anybody actually putting up uncoloured galvinized nowadays?

Don't think so :001_unsure:, unless they are repairing gables or lowering or something.
The colour coded sheeting is the job. Worth it after. Made a fine job of the shed. :thumbup1:

very few, all coloured.

however, the sheeting game is a mine field of thickness's and paint types.

Most of the stuff around here is .7mm with the plastic coating.
there is .5, .55, .62 and .7.
there also is polyester painted ones and pvc ones.

you would want to sit down for the price per mtr of .7 pvc.

there is .5, .55, .62 and .7.
there also is polyester painted ones and pvc ones.

you would want to sit down for the price per mtr of .7 pvc.

Last time I bought some (.7) was about 5 years ago and it wasnt TOO bad.
How much is it nowadays?

That was the last painting on ours - everything will be replaced with coloured next time. Could be a while though - last galvinised went up in 1995.

Spraying the skylights cost one man near here very dearly :crying::no:

Tinman,

Don't take this the wrong way but I really do not know why you are entertaining these cowboys - once bitten twice shy.

Prices - 20ft x 26ft - €550 pre coated inc VAT is a quote we have got - that is PVC coated I think but not sure on that.

Tinman,

Don't take this the wrong way but I really do not know why you are entertaining these cowboys - once bitten twice shy.

Prices - 20ft x 26ft - €550 pre coated inc VAT is a quote we have got - that is PVC coated I think but not sure on that.
well after the first one i didnt entertain the last one.
there used to be a crowd about, they did a good enuf job but it didnt dry for months, diesel, but it never rusted either.

its ok if you only have one roof to do, when you have a dozen its a different story re the money.

its ok if you only have one roof to do, when you have a dozen its a different story re the money.

Only one roof - the famous dripping garage :001_rolleyes:

Side panels going over the barges is quite an expensive extra.

thanks for all the replies guys
wouldn't want them near me tbh - if i want someone to paint shed i'll get phone book out
reckon reroofing shed with coated stuff when the time comes will be a better job anyhow

Spraying the skylights cost one man near here very dearly :crying::no:
Same here :crying:.

We used to get an outfit appear in caravans every 2/3 years & a local farmer would rent them a small field...would stay for about a month each time...had to keep everything nailed down while they were about:whistling:...

First time they were here they talked the uncle into doing his shed....first we knew about it was when we got a phonecall to go over, as he was having "problems"...must be 20 years ago now, they thought they had got a soft touch as he was in his early 80's.

They started off looking £800 for the really top notch job they had done, & the time they had spent cleaning it....had painted over the cobwebbs...kept showing us this empty paint barrel & ranting about how good it was....they ended up getting £200 as that's what they "needed" for the paint, & they were getting the boat that night.....this for a 60' x 22' round roof shed.....got rid of them for good a few trips later after many attempts without sucess....they made the mistake of using the sheugh as a toilet:angry: & environmental health or similar outed them.

My views on them wouldn't really be fit for print ;).....

If they call offering to paint your sheds you know they are cowboys as genuine painters will advertise and let people that want their sheds painted contact them. Saying that a neighbour of mine rang some painter off the farmers journal to paint his sheds and he turned out to be a cowboy. I had a fella call years ago offering to paint the sheds he said that he would do the job a bit chaper if I gave them a field for the horses :001_rolleyes: They called to another farmer and he asked them if they had insurance "sure boss" was the reply. The farmer asked him for the insurance cert and he gave it to him so the farmer said he would have to go into the house to ring the insurance company and check it. He rang the insurance company and they told him that the policy didn't exist, when the farmer went outside yourman was gone :001_rolleyes:

Back