Sheep Orf

Hi Lads. Any tricks on treating orf in lambs apart from separating them, anti B spray, ovaloid tablets (old motor vehicle oil on scabs is one I’ve heard) and other usual precautions?? Or from experience is it just better to keep an eye on mouth scabs and mothers udders and let it off unless it gets bad and then do something about it?? Thanks for your help. Leigh

Very little you can do really. Tried all sorts in pet lambs here and appart from making us feel better that we tried, it never did much!

Be careful though. A young girl I know has recently landed in Hospital with suspected Sepsis after contracting Orf!

We vaccinate for it,got it very bad in lambs years ago and had to put down some lambs because of it.

Wife got it bad on her hand and up her arm after giving lambs ovaloids,neighbour got it around his mouth he ended up growing a beard,probably still has it.😂

Wife got it bad on her hand and up her arm after giving lambs ovaloids,neighbour got it around his mouth he ended up growing a beard,probably still has it.😂

The Orf , or the beard ? That your neighbour still has .

B#stard of a dose .
Used to rub petrol on lambs mouths where they had it . I don't know if it helped , but made us feel as if we were trying .

Hi Lads. Any tricks on treating orf in lambs apart from separating them, anti B spray, ovaloid tablets (old motor vehicle oil on scabs is one I’ve heard) and other usual precautions?? Or from experience is it just better to keep an eye on mouth scabs and mothers udders and let it off unless it gets bad and then do something about it?? Thanks for your help. Leigh
Antiseptic spray we used use when they got it but that's more for secondary infection than the orf. It dies out and they become immune to it unless you bring in sheep from elsewhere and they can pass on a new strain or pick up the farms original strain, I think?

Vaccinate them if it becomes a problem but we haven't had a bad dose since we last bought in ewes.

Might look at vaccinating pet lambs here next year. Always get it terribly in the later lambs.

The big chief used to put peppermint udder cream on lambs with orf. With his gloves on... Used to keep a separate tub just for orf.

I've always used petrol on lambs seems 2 work even in bad cases it.

Back