Silage 2020

Picking up behind a 4 rotor last week and it just didn’t flow would have been better with a twin spinner rake,shame they don’t make a 12m twin spinner.

I don’t like high speed foraging as the drivers usually end up spinning round on the headland and tear it up in the process.:tdown:

Regards a merger I talked with a man who owns one and he said it doesn’t suit damp grass,same chap had a 6 rotor and got rid of it.
Is it HW has the merger .

And a new Mark Troy Grassmen vid

I caught up with The Beast In The East today :ohmy::Thumbp2:

Thanks to Mark & all the crew today :smile:

0114- Mark Troy.jpg

0134- Mark Troy.jpg

0141- Mark Troy.jpg

0151- Mark Troy.jpg

0166- Mark Troy.jpg

0183- Mark Troy.jpg

Having seen Troy in action this year it is madness what he’s at, travelling far to fast for the trailers to be safe (as far as I know they flipped one!), but aside from that are spinning around on headland way to fast for my liking, pressure the drivers are under must be huge, two loaders on pit and grass pouring in, the reality is most yards aren’t able for a setup like his.
Mower was sent back to a few places to remow after 1st cut was picked as it was so badly mown.
Seriously impressive to watch, but from a farmers perspective I wouldn’t let him in the gate

Having seen Troy in action this year it is madness what he’s at, travelling far to fast for the trailers to be safe (as far as I know they flipped one!), but aside from that are spinning around on headland way to fast for my liking, pressure the drivers are under must be huge, two loaders on pit and grass pouring in, the reality is most yards aren’t able for a setup like his.
Mower was sent back to a few places to remow after 1st cut was picked as it was so badly mown.
Seriously impressive to watch, but from a farmers perspective I wouldn’t let him in the gate
On the poor mowing when the grass gets very dry like it did when we had the awful warm weather it's very very hard get under it it's like trying to mow wire.
There's one place we do and it's all 5 acre paddocks.
There was 4 next to eachother and the first one was shockingly bad mowed and it shaved the next 3.

Ya can see the difference in the way contractors drive if there farmer contractors or just pure contractors.
The 2 local lads with sph are dairy men , one milking and the other man due to health went contract rearing last yr.
They treat the ground and your farm like there own.have seen non farming contractors not that far away and personally i wouldnt let them in the gate especially when ground would be tricky.heavy machines at speed destroys headlands and like alot of pits are not been rolled properly.
A man once said the best additive for silage is plenty of diesel to roll the pit

And sure on other end of the spectrum is the king with his 22ft/24ft trailers which he somehow makes it work. Saw them working next door to us during 1st cut. Was impressive, granted not travelling as fast round the field and could see why the bigger trailers are wanted even if it was a short draw

There's a lot to be said for 2 or three farmers working together.
we ran like that for years until dad and the neighbours got sick of the 695. still kind of do it. how we do it now is us and the neighbours mow ourselves. if its dry, autoswarthed. if not get the contractors rake in. and contractors bring their forager and loader. us and the neighbours do the drawing. get an extra trailer or 2 from the contractor for the longer draws. works well

we ran like that for years until dad and the neighbours got sick of the 695. still kind of do it. how we do it now is us and the neighbours mow ourselves. if its dry, autoswarthed. if not get the contractors rake in. and contractors bring their forager and loader. us and the neighbours do the drawing. get an extra trailer or 2 from the contractor for the longer draws. works well
What does the contractor do on those days - stand down his tractor drivers?

What does the contractor do on those days - stand down his tractor drivers?
contractors we get are farmers first. drivers be family members and 1 or 2 neighbours/friends. with them i think it gives space to get other jobs done like mowing and baling. last year i was asked to do a couple days over the 2nd cut with them to alleviate the pressure a bit

On the poor mowing when the grass gets very dry like it did when we had the awful warm weather it's very very hard get under it it's like trying to mow wire.
There's one place we do and it's all 5 acre paddocks.
There was 4 next to eachother and the first one was shockingly bad mowed and it shaved the next 3.
I remember mowing 20 acres of crabgrass in d states that was dry and wirey like that i had to hold d covers open with wire to let d wind out and it done a better job. I slowed down d header speed about 150 or 200 rpms if I remember right

Ya can see the difference in the way contractors drive if there farmer contractors or just pure contractors.
The 2 local lads with sph are dairy men , one milking and the other man due to health went contract rearing last yr.
They treat the ground and your farm like there own.have seen non farming contractors not that far away and personally i wouldnt let them in the gate especially when ground would be tricky.heavy machines at speed destroys headlands and like alot of pits are not been rolled properly.
A man once said the best additive for silage is plenty of diesel to roll the pit
That's a sweeping statement I think and tbh I can't agree.
I know there's some lads on here farming and contracting and I don't want to offend them.
Anyone around here that's milking cows and at hire work the gear is hanging constantly getting broke down and in general doing what I'd class as bad work.

Utimately the farmer pays for the service , while theres nothing in it for the contractor to do it for what there probaly charging and the farmer isnt getting enough to be able to pay per acre what might be needed but what i cant understand the prices been charged down the country for lifting silage.
Cousin 2 mile across the border got a lad beside him this last loch of yrs.
Know he said last yr it was 65 pounds stg plus 20 %vat for mowing tedding raking and in the pit
65 + 20% is 78 stg if im right and at current sterling exchange is round 90 cent in the pound is around 86 euro including vat in the pit.probaly hasnt changed much for this year.
100 euro generally
As they say he who plays the music calls the tunes but normally there wouldnt be a big pile on as there be only a loch of dairymen going early and the beef men would be going for bulk

That's a sweeping statement I think and tbh I can't agree.
I know there's some lads on here farming and contracting and I don't want to offend them.
Anyone around here that's milking cows and at hire work the gear is hanging constantly getting broke down and in general doing what I'd class as bad work.
Why run down the contractors who are dairy farmers too just because you're not? That's an instant ignore from me if you were local.
There is no correlation between having a farming background and the work you do.

You are in your fuck, do you think contractors come from nowhere once a year or what, farm contractors are mostly part of the local community the same as the farmers themselves, we do the small jobs as well as the big jobs as they come in..
We get great service despite a relatively small size because we pay going out the gate, Ying and Yang and wide gaps.

There are no 50ft rakes south of the river Lee as far as I know .grass would be heavy down here too as most dairy herds would be spring calving and it's mostly dry cow silage being made
Get the heaviest of grass around here in 30ft's with 570hp, something wrong if 900hp isn't able to take 50ft's, 17 tons of harvester belting down the field at high speed and tractor trailer combos at the same and doing 40% more idle headland travel doesn't make for efficiency.

Picking up behind a 4 rotor last week and it just didn’t flow would have been better with a twin spinner rake,shame they don’t make a 12m twin spinner.

I don’t like high speed foraging as the drivers usually end up spinning round on the headland and tear it up in the process.:tdown:

Regards a merger I talked with a man who owns one and he said it doesn’t suit damp grass,same chap had a 6 rotor and got rid of it.
Always found if grass had been raked a second time it makes a lumpier row, a few manufacturers make bigger 2 rotor rakes, Claas and Lely exceed 10 metre, Lely one is probably discontinued now

Your right there Arthur, flying around the field with 900 hp picking up 30ts doesn't give you output, the big swathe is the answer for the big hp harvester..

Why run down the contractors who are dairy farmers too just because you're not? That's an instant ignore from me if you were local.
There is no correlation between having a farming background and the work you do.
Because the ones that I know are badly set up and organised.
They use the cows to fund there machinery addiction.
Like I said I'm not saying there all like that I'm sure there some brillant operator's that are milking cows too.
I know of one very professional outfit that are at cows but as far as im aware.
I actually think troy milks cows?

Get the heaviest of grass around here in 30ft's with 570hp, something wrong if 900hp isn't able to take 50ft's, 17 tons of harvester belting down the field at high speed and tractor trailer combos at the same and doing 40% more idle headland travel doesn't make for efficiency.

Always found if grass had been raked a second time it makes a lumpier row, a few manufacturers make bigger 2 rotor rakes, Claas and Lely exceed 10 metre, Lely one is probably discontinued now
From previous experience using a 4 rotor rake some grass just flowed nice and it didn't lump it other grass it made a balls of it

Back