Silage 2020

Real test for those machines wont come for a few weeks yet. Crops need to be bulked up a bit to really test them or go for the real test 50ft of late thick wiry damp 1st cut. As one man said to me this evening, all your picking up now is glorified lawn clippings.

View attachment 77424
I don’t think it was much to do with the new harvester, more so just so many people living local and cannot travel far with small kids who love machinery and the silage was a welcome break from the norm for parents, lots of the fields are around the town so it’s allways popular with town folk as spectators.
I was only over the road from there today, only had 6 cars in the field, bit of a disappointing turn out in comparison :laugh:

Come to think about it, locally I've only seen 1 Claas Jag put through 40/50ft swaths and that was a 2003 Claas Jag 890. All others up to now have been John Deere or New Holland. No Krones locally were putting through 40/50ft swaths until now so it will be interesting to see if they perform to the same level.

Come to think about it, locally I've only seen 1 Claas Jag put through 40/50ft swaths and that was a 2003 Claas Jag 890. All others up to now have been John Deere or New Holland. No Krones locally were putting through 40/50ft swaths until now so it will be interesting to see if they perform to the same level.
There was a 900 around here that used pick 50's, it's tongue would be out in late first cuts, still it make sense to run the harvester slowly on a big row sooner than chasing a small row, easier on all operators and more fuel efficient.

There was a 900 around here that used pick 50's, it's tongue would be out in late first cuts, still it make sense to run the harvester slowly on a big row sooner than chasing a small row, easier on all operators and more fuel efficient.
In NZ we picked up proper heavy 40ft rows, as heavy as any normal cut here (not including the end of June one cut man) that was only with a 950 & 870 and they handled it fine, you might be only snailing around the field at times but I'd much rather that and be getting it in the trailer than absolutely lifting around the field chasing small rows at 17km an hour like the snapchats I get. The same as you said about a smaller harvester, if you can keep everybody moving at a nice pace all day you will shift grass, being parked waiting for trailers while they all try to cram into the yard at the exact same time is a bit of a pointless exercise.

In NZ we picked up proper heavy 40ft rows, as heavy as any normal cut here (not including the end of June one cut man) that was only with a 950 & 870 and they handled it fine, you might be only snailing around the field at times but I'd much rather that and be getting it in the trailer than absolutely lifting around the field chasing small rows at 17km an hour like the snapchats I get. The same as you said about a smaller harvester, if you can keep everybody moving at a nice pace all day you will shift grass, being parked waiting for trailers while they all try to cram into the yard at the exact same time is a bit of a pointless exercise.
contractor i was with for a few days last year working with 20ft. nh fr from 2011/12. they much prefer those size swarths compared to 30ft and beyond (something to do with how lumpy the bigger swarths can be). we were still going a handy pace. maybe 5mph, be still racing back to the field the rate they were filling. and when i was doing the long draw for friend of ours with his jf 900, i enjoyed drawing silage from that compared to the self propelled more. going at a steady pace in the field. only time we were racing on the road was so that we could beat the next trailer before the roads narrowed after leaving the pit. that pace allowed me to take in the view over myrtleville a bit more

Meadows are good for the time of year I think. I got 8plus fusion bales today on stuff that was tedded out on great drying conditions yesterday

Are more lads moving towards the 50ft takes now? I know they were common up north but seems to be more and more down here now? Or is it just my imagination

Ready to go for tomorrow

7A86BAAF-689D-478E-A067-BB4A5909EF06.jpeg

It was brought to my attention earlier on about grass growers with big willies, and we dont even grow grass, only cut it....:lol:

This lad is one of those ha. He been talking about it got days :sneaky: My grass won’t be mowed for another 6 weeks for hay :undecided:

Back