Silage 2020

Thatll learn me to ask the price of a bale of silage:2guns:

Ive 5 months silage in the yard and 5 months silage in the pit and I could do with getting a good bit of pit ate this spring to make roon for first cut. I would be happy enough breaking even on selling them taking the NPK into account because I dont want to be making loads of bales again this year.
Thanks for the replies and sorry for starting the argument:smile:

I have no intention of changing mine this year or next but speaking to dealers and other contractors around the west the figure of a euro a bale seem to be the bench mark to work off.
I've heard it goes as far as 1.30.
Obviously the more bales you put on a baler in a season the less it will devalue but looking at second hands 10k seems to be the average put on them.
If you could put 25k bales on one on a season you might get 50 cent a bale depreciation
you will be suprised,if your baling north of 10k bales a year and you get offered a good deal its hard to refuse. say 3 years time you have a baler with 45 thousand bales on it needs a few bob spent on it and gonna cost you 30/35 to change it. 5 years time youve finished paying for the baler its wore out to a point its not reliable anymore you may bite the bullet and go again the way i see it your always gonna have repayments on a silage baler,they need to work everyday so need to be reliable.like the silage for sale at 20 everyone has a different idea on whats the right thing to do

you will be suprised,if your baling north of 10k bales a year and you get offered a good deal its hard to refuse. say 3 years time you have a baler with 45 thousand bales on it needs a few bob spent on it and gonna cost you 30/35 to change it. 5 years time youve finished paying for the baler its wore out to a point its not reliable anymore you may bite the bullet and go again the way i see it your always gonna have repayments on a silage baler,they need to work everyday so need to be reliable.like the silage for sale at 20 everyone has a different idea on whats the right thing to do
You are right the fusions here have high bale counts and aren’t worth much now I’d imagen, should have been changed last year or year before.

I think the issue is the figures are so inaccurate lads that make bales to sell every year get kind of revved up reading them.
It's a problem in general with agriculture the price never changed because there's too many willing to do it just to turn over a few quid.
I follow a couple of contractors that were near where I was in new zealand and there was a small operator about 4 miles from us he had a lovely outfit starting out and now he has serious gear.
Anyway that's beside the point I see he is selling bales at the moment for 90 dollars a bale.
This is around the money they constantly make.
Double the cost of making them
Ah Jasus they would be fierce dear bales by time you’d get em here. The transport would be very costly.
Just taking the piss to lighten the mood JD!!!!

Thatll learn me to ask the price of a bale of silage:2guns:

Ive 5 months silage in the yard and 5 months silage in the pit and I could do with getting a good bit of pit ate this spring to make roon for first cut. I would be happy enough breaking even on selling them taking the NPK into account because I dont want to be making loads of bales again this year.
Thanks for the replies and sorry for starting the argument:smile:

It's always good to have a surplus of feed imo. I do try and have a buffer of silage as an insurance against a bad spring or summer. It's worked out fairly well these past five years with the exception of spring 18 and the drought in the summer. Silage ground is limited here so I do buy in a good bit of feed. I much prefer to buy standing crops of grass and doing the work myself maybe that might be an option for you.

It probably doesn't matter if it is any good or not, it's possibly more the novelty factor than anything else

There is a
Pisten Bully
Keenan self propelled diet feeder
A self propelled slurry tanker and injector
Krone harvester
At least two Fendts
JCB Fastrac with loader
Two or three tri axle slurry tankers, Joskin and Herron
A couple of Scania's

That's what I know of, there is probably more, all top of the range stuff for a digester
A video of it all in action @DaDonegalLad @Mf 7715

How would a yoke that is specifically designed not to compact the terrain it is travelling on be any use for compacting silage or am I missing something
It's not a case of it being suitable for the job, it's a case of I want one and I have to have it, I think it might have originally been bought to spread digestate though forestry but it's more a case of I want one and I have to have it

I often wondered that myself, the amount of diesel that is burned must be colossal, they live on the road carting stuff
The powers that be are so much smarter than us, even the combustion of the biomethane for electric and heat result in CO, NOx and SO2 released into the atmosphere, Internal combustion engines run on biomethane release formaldehyde at higher rates than fussil fuels.

It's not a case of it being suitable for the job, it's a case of I want one and I have to have it, I think it might have originally been bought to spread digestate though forestry but it's more a case of I want one and I have to have it
where did the Grafham family go after it was sold when donegal creamery bought it back then

What’s in those white bags along the slab road just before Burnfoot? silage or whole crop? Noticed them last time I was over that road.
It's silage, I seen them filling them at second cut last year, the machine filling them was on tracks, I looked up the name on the lorry and the machine was from Scotland

It's silage, I seen them filling them at second cut last year, the machine filling them was on tracks, I looked up the name on the lorry and the machine was from Scotland
What’s the craic then, fill it with a loader into a artic during the winter?

Was it a bad job
It was a great job from a preservation point of view absolutely no waste.
It was a balls of a thing to move when the time came to using it.
By right it would want to be on concrete but then your as well have it in a silo.
It was nearly impossible get all of it when it was in the field.
We used a tellihandler first and the field was wrecked as well as plastic everywhere.
We used a track machine then but the field was still wrecked from the tractors in and out

It was a great job from a preservation point of view absolutely no waste.
It was a balls of a thing to move when the time came to using it.
By right it would want to be on concrete but then your as well have it in a silo.
It was nearly impossible get all of it when it was in the field.
We used a tellihandler first and the field was wrecked as well as plastic everywhere.
We used a track machine then but the field was still wrecked from the tractors in and out
I’ve seen them bags in the South Island in New Zealand ground was very dry and probably frozen when it was taken out of the bag, never seen one in Ireland, those fields in Donegal would have lakes in them during the winter.

What’s the craic then, fill it with a loader into a artic during the winter?
I'm not sure how they fill it, I never seen them doing it, I could be on that road a couple of times in one week and it could be a couple of months before I would be on it again. I would love to see them filling it, there would be some muck. I have seen them using a Fastrac and silage trailer and an artic on the road to move the silage. The digester and the cows at the start of the video is 30 miles away from the silage

Back