Silage 2020

At 200 acres a day. I’m wondering what kind of a plaster is made of the pits with grass being horsed in at that speed.
If I was looking for a contractor for silage I think I’d rather someone with a slightly more sedate pace.
2 loaders going on the pits then

2 loaders going on the pits then
Great in theory but yards haven’t kept pace with the output from these latest outfits,its when your cornered trying to squeeze the last ten acres into a pit designed originally to take forty or fifty acres but your expected to put double that into it that the fun starts.

Great in theory but yards haven’t kept pace with the output from these latest outfits,its when your cornered trying to squeeze the last ten acres into a pit designed originally to take forty or fifty acres but your expected to put double that into it that the fun starts.
Some yards are so crap the loader has to be down off the pit before the next load can be tipped so more pressure on the loader driver to get it rolled off and down then sit watching while the load is being tipped.

Some yards are so crap the loader has to be down off the pit before the next load can be tipped so more pressure on the loader driver to get it rolled off and down then sit watching while the load is being tipped.
I put up silage in one yard where I had to back out onto a public road to let in the trailer.

If it keeps going this way it will be all done for the june weekend and no shows or pubs to go to!!
Not wanting to be a killjoy but I'd be afraid of a wet fortnight, around here we have had f all rain since 20th March, grass frost at night on silage crops is usually the late bits in October, TBH I'd like to see a wet week by next midweek and a dry spell after sooner than a continued dry spell then a dose or rain.

Knocking my own tomorrow afternoon, picking Friday, another one on for Saturday and more for Monday, strange year really, land too wet even Patricks day yet never knocked grass as early, yellow stubble too !!!!!!!

i noticed that stubble is very yellow, i suppose allot of the ground was never grazed, so quality will be only so, so

Not wanting to be a killjoy but I'd be afraid of a wet fortnight, around here we have had f all rain since 20th March, grass frost at night on silage crops is usually the late bits in October, TBH I'd like to see a wet week by next midweek and a dry spell after sooner than a continued dry spell then a dose or rain.

I mowed a bit today for a lad and it was light enough. Im holding off until next week myself.

got offered grass by a neighbour yesterday. he was thinking of cutting and baling next week or week after but my old man is thinking this week while weather is good

Help needed with a deutz gp 2.30 net binding system??????? How to set cutter bar to anvil??? Help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks..

Attachments

• DSC_0059.JPG
    DSC_0059.JPG
    122.4 KB · Views: 128
  • DSC_0063.JPG
    DSC_0063.JPG
    145.4 KB · Views: 121
  • DSC_0056.JPG
    DSC_0056.JPG
    177.2 KB · Views: 127
  • DSC_0057.JPG
    DSC_0057.JPG
    157.8 KB · Views: 133
  • DSC_0058.JPG
    DSC_0058.JPG
    165.7 KB · Views: 136
  • DSC_0060.JPG
    DSC_0060.JPG
    199.1 KB · Views: 126
upload_2020-5-13_23-21-17.png

Tony o mahony cutting grass next to us today. has 200 acres to cut in that farm and has a 13 mile round trip to another. be there for next day and a half to cut it all

Last edited:
Christ. Must’ve some power to be only doing those revs
From the brochure...
Low engine speed concept

The John Deere 9000 Series Self-Propelled Forage Harvesters (SPFH) have been developed with a clear focus on machine performance: more throughput and less fuel consumption while providing maximum uptime and low cost of operation.

A key success factor is the concept of lower engine rpm at higher harvesting component speeds.

V12 – 24-L concept: The Liebherr® D9512 engine

The top-model 9700, 9800, and 9900 SPFH are equipped with a Liebherr 12-cylinder V-engine with 24-L displacement. The Liebherr D9512 is a state-of-the-art engine and delivers what a high-performance forage harvester requires:

• High power density and great fuel efficiency
  • Constant maximum power down to lower engine rpm
  • Torque curve designed for forage harvesting applications
The broad maximum power range of the Liebherr V12 engine cuts off the less-efficient rpm area above 1800 rpm. The rising torque curve down to 1300 rpm enables efficient operation of the machine in the lower rpm range.

Revised driveline with optimized component speeds

To reach maximum efficiency and performance, all machine component speeds are re-worked and laid out for best function in the 1400 to 1800 engine rpm range. This also leads to better fuel efficiency with an optimum range from 1250 to 1600 rpm, where the engine has its lowest specific fuel consumption (g/kWh).

Am i the only one who wouldnt allot a lorry running on SS at 120psi on my land for hauling silage :scratchhead:
If my silage was a few miles away, i would prefer an experienced truck driver that knows what he's doing, rather than some inexperienced fella a huge tractor. Makes no difference on dry ground. Got my fill of inexperienced drivers on roads around here

Back