Silage 2021

Bales making 25 to 30 around here. Dairy men buying all they can to save pit silage.
Never sold a bale for less than 30 in last 10 years. Anything below that i just keep for next year. I will probably adjust that closer to 40euro next winter depending on costs. But there has been bales delivered locally for 25 that aren't worth 20.

When fodder is scarce we’ll get by, when fodder is plenty it’ll all be wanted, there’s a slightly more catchy version of it I can’t think of but it normally rings true.

In 18 we thought we had plenty and let off some only to end up having to draw in a few bales from next door, he’d normally have around 100 spare most years but that year I think between the few we needed and 2 other lads the yard was cleared out.

I was feeding bales I had left over from early June 2020 up until Christmas, the bales I was putting in were lasting 4 days, now I'm feeding bales from early June 2021 and the same number of bales are only lasting 3 days, the 2021 stuff is not as dry as the 2020 stuff so maybe there's not as much in a bale.

When fodder is scarce we’ll get by, when fodder is plenty it’ll all be wanted, there’s a slightly more catchy version of it I can’t think of but it normally rings true.

In 18 we thought we had plenty and let off some only to end up having to draw in a few bales from next door, he’d normally have around 100 spare most years but that year I think between the few we needed and 2 other lads the yard was cleared out.
its never sent but its wanted, thats the saying round here

I was feeding bales I had left over from early June 2020 up until Christmas, the bales I was putting in were lasting 4 days, now I'm feeding bales from early June 2021 and the same number of bales are only lasting 3 days, the 2021 stuff is not as dry as the 2020 stuff so maybe there's not as much in a bale.
nutritionist was saying that energy and protein levels in silage was well back in 1st cuts last year.too much rain and no sun in May and start of June didnt help.less power in the silage this winter so more been aten

Back