Silage 2024

was talking to a friend of mine up near @Emg12 country, they probably know each other but he was saying there a few minutes ago that there contractor had to pull out of mowing 3 different spots this morning, I'm not overly surprised as even what would be considered middling ground isn't dry.
picking me steps here on silage ground with slurry, and have plenty of silage war wounds to sort before the next plosh
The cold breeze doesn't suit our land.

Fellas have been shot for less🤣 We’re getting nice misty showers late into the evenings the last few days keeping things ticking along anymore than that would be disastrous, ground is still very tacky here. Would sicken your hole to have to be feeding silage in the next few weeks again, we’re all due some bit of respite the way last year or so has gone.
We are feeding a few bales every day for the past week.

Anything is better than cleaning cubicles! Cows are happy lying down in the cold dry wind! The rain will come never far away in this country

dries it out with the harsh wind and more or less burns the grass you mean.that north or north easterly does bring much growth alright
Ya that's it pretty much, sort of my own fault too really, I did too much baling and topping / pre mowing on this past round, grass is still growing but growth isn't super, we're in a mini hole and I'd rather be proactive now and feed rather than find myself in a bigger one in 10 days time.

First cut well below average here, will see how we go at second cut time and see do we need to offload some stock
I've a feeling that will be the case here too. Getting it dropped at the minute. Doesn't look heavy, but hourly we'll have something a bit better in terms of quality, even though it has seeded a bit.

Good looking crop of grass there👌

Reseeded September 21. Graz
Good looking crop of grass there👌

Thank you . It's a field that I've on a long term lease . Reseeded it with Glanbia "one cut and graze " in September 2021. Soil tests showed 2 for both p and k , but needing 14 ton ha of lime... I gave it 5 ton ha . It was disced and then sowed with one pass . There were lots of dandelions in the old old pasture , and they were still in the new grass . So I had to spray them , which killed the clover . Truth be told , I was a bit disappointed with the yields of silage off it in 22 and 23 . It was the driest field that I could send the contractor with dung last October, so it got a heavy coating. Crowned it . Let cattle out on it just after 17th of March , and they were left on it probably too long .

Here's another bit , same grass seed , sowed 1st October 22. Into stubbles , after 1 crop of spring barley , that was sowed into ran out meadow . Another leased bit.

Both are swathes are 8ft , so fair crop.

20240611_132806.jpg

Wouldn't be an expert on mowing, but any reason why they cut the outer headland after the first run? Most people leave it til last in case of surprises.

What way has silage been yielding around, most pits we did seem to be well back I know they were mostly empty to start but a lot of lads who don't do second cut are looking to stop it again. Little to no bales made early or in the pipeline for the near future with current growth

What way has silage been yielding around, most pits we did seem to be well back I know they were mostly empty to start but a lot of lads who don't do second cut are looking to stop it again. Little to no bales made early or in the pipeline for the near future with current growth
Mine is back a nice bit but I cut it early tod get quality instead of bulk.

I might aim for taking some bales as a second cut rather than waiting for paddocks to get ahead of the stock.

Good bit of stuff cut early yielded light but thats expected. As a whole though yielding fairly normal for most lads . But talking to a pit man he was saying same as you pit crops seem to be lighter .

Some vintage silage equipment

Some of my own is more vintage . Fine tractor powering harvester , far from vintage, but not a Fiat/ NH....
Maybe Your silage ground is near the yard , but i found going to an 18ft trailer a massive improvement . , as in 2 drivers with 2 big trailers , versus 3 smaller ones . The 14 ft wasnt yoked to either this year or last year . Ive an 18ft Thorpe , and a neighbour another . He gets mine , and i get his in return . I was using his until 2 o clock yesterday , and then he was using it from 3 o clock . What make is that buckrake ?

Back