silage nutrient takeoff/requirements

I got the price of half a dozen fertilisers so i can wreck my head calculating permutations tonight

Feckin tapatalk boss

Always heard that Urea isn't the best after spring and I've always operated on that principal although in recent years I've gone away from it altogether.
2nd cut isn't something I'd do much of but I would probably go with something like 2 bags 10:10:20 and a bag or bag and a half CAN depending on how much extra silage I needed. 0:7:30 would be another option but I prefer something with N in it at this time of year.

what about 4 bags of 18:6:12,be similar to the above but only one driving.

I'm back thinking about fert again.

and too late again really!!!!

for first cut I normally go with 4 bags cut sward per acre

In units per acre that comes to 100-10-40 and at todays prices from the co-op that costs €91 plus €6 for spreading.

I need to put out more K as we're depleting indices there so I'm looking at options.

2 bags Urea + 2 bags 0-7-30 would give 92-14-60 for €85 plus €12 for spreading.

So my costs are the same but I get a bit more P and a lot more K in lieu of losing 8 units of nitrogen.

Am I missing something? Is Urea N as good as any other N?

I'm back thinking about fert again.

and too late again really!!!!

for first cut I normally go with 4 bags cut sward per acre

In units per acre that comes to 100-10-40 and at todays prices from the co-op that costs €91 plus €6 for spreading.

I need to put out more K as we're depleting indices there so I'm looking at options.

2 bags Urea + 2 bags 0-7-30 would give 92-14-60 for €85 plus €12 for spreading.

So my costs are the same but I get a bit more P and a lot more K in lieu of losing 8 units of nitrogen.

Am I missing something? Is Urea N as good as any other N?

On average you can only count on 40 units out of the 46 when using urea, and a lot of variables can reduce that further.
It usually will work well this time of year if the ph isn't too high or if lime hasn't been spread lately.
A lot of silage men forget about Sulphur and it can cost them dear, the lighter the ground and the more cuts you take the worse it is needed.
In general silage ground isn't getting enough K.
I would suggest 3cwt of 15-3-20+S and 1.25cwt of urea
It will end up a little dearer than your urea and 0-7-30 but that will be short on N and will not have any S.

This year I've spread 3 bags acre of 0:7:30 on the silage ground and whenever I decide to close it up it'll get 3 more bags of CAN. No second cut planned either.

On average you can only count on 40 units out of the 46 when using urea, and a lot of variables can reduce that further.
It usually will work well this time of year if the ph isn't too high or if lime hasn't been spread lately.
A lot of silage men forget about Sulphur and it can cost them dear, the lighter the ground and the more cuts you take the worse it is needed.
In general silage ground isn't getting enough K.
I would suggest 3cwt of 15-3-20+S and 1.25cwt of urea
It will end up a little dearer than your urea and 0-7-30 but that will be short on N and will not have any S.

I'd been thinking about the suphur alright, neither urea or 0-7-30 seem to come with a +S option

God dammit I priced about 10 fertilisers today, but not 15-3-20+S :)

But it's gonna be around 450 a tonne I'm guessing.. for the sake of calculations anyway.....

going off your 40 effective units then that would be 95-9-60+S for €108 spread

This year I've spread 3 bags acre of 0:7:30 on the silage ground and whenever I decide to close it up it'll get 3 more bags of CAN. No second cut planned either.

that's 81-21-90 for €125 spread by my maths. :eek:

our business is growing silage for sale to dairy farmers, so two cuts are the way to go for us. There's a limit to what the market will pay (and we're fairly well up there tbh), so what we want to do really is treat our ground a bit better but for less than a hundred euro if possible, otherwise we're eating into our margin

Just working off the prices I have.....

3 bags of sulpha cut (23-2.5-10-4S) and 1 of 0-7-30 would give 69-14.5-60+12S for €103 spread

[MENTION=1843]gone[/MENTION] that makes your suggestion not look too bad.

If I go with your suggestion which has two nitrogens in it is there merit in spreading out the spread dates given it's two passes of the spreader anyway? If so, which should go on first?

You could try sop its 42% k with sulphur.

P is the dearest per unit and it seems to be k that you need.

Any body have a price for 15 3 20 + s or sop??

SOP is 0-0-42-16S and is €560/t

Fook it thought it would be around 400.

Did you price mop at 50k and 0 sulphur.

Lot of my silage ground is 4 miles away and as a result doesent get enough slurry.

Its starting to dawn on me just how much its costs to keep up p and k in silage ground and ita frightening.

Slurry gone to silage ground here so this year I'm trying 4 bags 18-6-12 on top of that, reasons are high nitrates have stopped 20th May harvest previously so dropping from 95units, need to up my P input having been tied by Reps for the past while. whether to split the application is the only question.

15-3-20+S is €430/t

which makes [MENTION=1843]gone[/MENTION]'s suggestion come in at €105

I'm gonna go for it.

So just the question of should I split the application dates or do we put the urea out at the same time as the compound?

I'd been thinking about the suphur alright, neither urea or 0-7-30 seem to come with a +S option

God dammit I priced about 10 fertilisers today, but not 15-3-20+S :)

But it's gonna be around 450 a tonne I'm guessing.. for the sake of calculations anyway.....

going off your 40 effective units then that would be 95-9-60+S for €108 spread

that's 81-21-90 for €125 spread by my maths. :eek:

our business is growing silage for sale to dairy farmers, so two cuts are the way to go for us. There's a limit to what the market will pay (and we're fairly well up there tbh), so what we want to do really is treat our ground a bit better but for less than a hundred euro if possible, otherwise we're eating into our margin

Just working off the prices I have.....

3 bags of sulpha cut (23-2.5-10-4S) and 1 of 0-7-30 would give 69-14.5-60+12S for €103 spread

[MENTION=1843]gone[/MENTION] that makes your suggestion not look too bad.

If I go with your suggestion which has two nitrogens in it is there merit in spreading out the spread dates given it's two passes of the spreader anyway? If so, which should go on first?

Target are doing a 40 unit urea + 3 sulphur this year, in or around 350/ton around here.

15-3-20+S is €430/t

which makes [MENTION=1843]gone[/MENTION]'s suggestion come in at €105

I'm gonna go for it.

So just the question of should I split the application dates or do we put the urea out at the same time as the compound?

€430 is too high a price for 15-3-20+S.
Ring around, you should be able to get it at €400 or less.
At the start of Feb I bought 6t for €367 in Big Bags collected, prices have gone up since, but not that much.

Back