Silage outfits of the past

I remember back in the mid 90s Bailey's of craan with a fiat 160-90 and a mex 10. Could have had a JCB 412 on the pit

It might be a struggle to cope with that power, 75 hp was the norm at that time. The Jag 62E had a 6 cylinder FORD engine on them 110 hp ? it was quite a well balanced yoke for power.
Wasn’t the 61 a bit soft?
Seem to remember them not being highly regarded,I bet spares are getting hard found for these old choppers now.

Good to see you back mate.

Sell it and get urself a Menhele sh40n for that power.
You going pit contrscting now?
Ah I wouldn’t say we’re going contracting but we’ve probably got a bit to do this year. Way the weather is going pressure is gonna be on.

Reactions: AYF
I remember suggesting a JD when we were after a chopper.
Dad had a shiver down his spine with the sugestion of such a machine.
Not the best reputation apparently!?
Used a 3760 for 2 seasons, power hungry trying to force crop through a limited space, the noise off it would stay in your head long after the day was done. Moved on to a 30 Mengele and it would do 10 acres more in the day on less diesel.

Unless you are getting something for recreational purposes then you are best buying a tidy machine , and a brand with a good reputation.
If a machine wasnt great 20 or 30 years ago, it’s not going to be any better today.

Last edited:
The man who picked up our silage for years in the 1990s used to run a 3765 on a 3650 and then a Steyr 9145. He ran it with a half set of knives as it took less power and didn't block as easily. He even added extra vertical extensions in the chute do it could fill the 18ft Redrock.

The man who picked up our silage for years in the 1990s used to run a 3765 on a 3650 and then a Steyr 9145. He ran it with a half set of knives as it took less power and didn't block as easily. He even added extra vertical extensions in the chute do it could fill the 18ft Redrock.
And he didn't realise how bad the JD was until he got the Mex 6!

Back