Silage testing

I am looking at getting a silage mineral test done what crowds are the best to go to for this ?

If you buy meal from a merchant or from a co-op they normally test it for free. Got ours done the last few years with aurivo. 4 samples for free.

Fba...ias or local mill/merchant. It's worth it alright but are u going to change anything with the results. Either way u will have to get someone who knows wat there looking at to read it, analyse it and inform you.
If it comes back ur low on this, this and that will you follow what they say to and get a "special " mineral make up. If not there's no point in spending e100 euro on a mineral test

Prob won't change anything carrigogunnell because i have got the pre calver minerals already neway.no real problem that way with cleanings and things.

The biggest problem I had last year was displaced stomachs it's very sickening when a cow has to be operated on twice..

The biggest problem I had last year was displaced stomachs it's very sickening when a cow has to be operated on twice..
Prevention should be aimed at ensuring dry matter intake is maintained in early lactation:

• Ensure cattle are not too fat at calving (i.e. >3.5 BCS);
  • Feed high quality feeds, with good quality forage;
  • Feeding a total mixed ration as opposed to concentrates;
  • Ensure plenty of space at feeding sites;
  • Minimise changes between late dry and early lactation ration;
  • Prevent and promptly treat, diseases such as milk fever, metritis, toxic mastitis and retained afterbirth which reduce feed intake;
  • Maximise cow comfort, minimise stress.
It is likely that a farm with numerous DA problems is feeding the late dry and/or early lactation cows wrongly.

Yes it could be possible alrite charlious

1. I am tight enough for feeding space

2. it is strictly silage I feed when cows are dry. Ration with silage when they calve obsivosuly enough.

Do many of ye feed straw right through dry period ?

Ya it's well down alright . The iodine looks very low as well doesn't it ?
Yes it was racked silage...

Surprising to see your copper low considering your silage is very low in molibnium.
I just wish our molibniem was as low.creates all sorts of problems with copper locked up.
Dont think excess iodine does any harm provided its not picked up in the milk

You will have to supplement Phosphorus as it's on the floor in that sample, also get a trickle of copper included. strange to see selenium and cobalt so high. Was it raked silage by any chance?

Just wondering when you asked was it raked. Does raking have an affect on it

Surprising to see your copper low considering your silage is very low in molibnium.
I just wish our molibniem was as low.creates all sorts of problems with copper locked up.
Dont think excess iodine does any harm provided its not picked up in the milk

It's a misconception that much of the country is in excess for molybdenum. Every field is different in nutrient, and how advisory just look at a map and say yeah you have high molybdenum. I'm supposedly high area, but just below adequate and apply a little

The high iron figure, assuming there was some bit of earth raked in. The cobalt one is strange, so high

No high iron occurs naturally in the ground in certain parts.not sure where your from but if your lucky enough not to need land drainage pipes ya wont notices it as much.
If your hi in iron pipes will get clogged at the outlets with a thick rusty brown type sludge.ya will see it in the drains aswell.
Molibnium affects some parts particulary hi rain fall areas.
It locks up copper to a fierce degree affecting production milk yield and fertility.we give a half a teaspoon of bluestone to the cows at bulling and especially coming up shortly as with autumn calvers your dumping milk.no fluke and withdrawels.low levels of copper leave the animal more prone to fluke damage.there is research in the states and australia to prove it.
If your not careful bluestone will kill
Eu laws demanded that copper and cobalt and iodine levels in mineral packages and meals be reduced which is ok if your not in an already challenged position.

Plenty land drainage pipes here with me anyway bencroy but where the silage is taken off has no drains ..
I am not great at reading these silage testing figures but basically I need
Cooper
Zinc
Iodine
Molybedum ...

Back