Silage testing

Plenty land drainage pipes here with me anyway bencroy but where the silage is taken off has no drains ..
I am not great at reading these silage testing figures but basically I need
Cooper
Zinc
Iodine
Molybedum ...

High phosphorus mineral is number 1, then add bit of copper and zinc.

Is important to look at the excesses

Plenty land drainage pipes here with me anyway bencroy but where the silage is taken off has no drains ..
I am not great at reading these silage testing figures but basically I need
Cooper
Zinc
Iodine
Molybedum ...

Any reason why your p and k is so low. Is there enough been sowed for the silage.copper selium iodine and zinc you need for thrive and the other 3 for fertility udder and feet health.ya cant buy molibnium but ua dont want it.your lucky it is as low as it is.if it was higher ua woild be getting problems.
Seen in a previous post that you had da problems.sub clinical milk fever was probaly the case and seeing low iodine and selium would leave retained cleanings that guarantees d a's....a good d cab mineral is what you need but check out why p n k are low

What do you mean by d a's nd a good d cab mineral ?...
And silage ground gets 3 rounds of slurry at 2,500 gallons to the acre .

The biggest problem I had last year was displaced stomachs it's very sickening when a cow has to be operated on twice..

Displaced stomachs.....its the abomasum that swings to the left which is very treatable but if it goes to the right unless your very sharp and have your own stethoscope to pick it up early by the time an rda is really showing sign the sucess rate is usually poor.factory job if no antibiotics

What do you mean by d a's nd a good d cab mineral ?...
And silage ground gets 3 rounds of slurry at 2,500 gallons to the acre .
D a's are displaced abomasum can be left ( lda ) or right (rda)
P and k levels look low in the silage.i persume your going with 3 to 4 bags of cut sward as well cause 2500 gals to the acre wont replace p n k levels after a crop of silage on there own
D cab stands for cation anion balance but ya want some better than me to explain the science.to do with basically sub milk fever job

Would not enough of some minerals cause D,as ?..
No just 2,500 gallons of slurry we are not allowed pur out any cut sward because we are in deragation.
So basically I need to supplement with something like a bolus that has a good bit of iodine selenium etc along with the bagged pre calver minerals of course ?..

Indirectly yes lack of some minerals will.low seliumum and iodine can cause them to hold cleanings which when they may get sick and put them of feeding.
To much of potassium (k ) in the silage will be a nightmare as it can cause sub clinical milk fever which can lead to displacements when have to feed a d cab mineral to counteract the (k).
And then low energy intakes after calving will cause ketosis or sub subketosis ( almond smell of the breath ). At home here copper is our main issue because of very high molibniem but theres not alot we can do about it only to keep copper to them.
Cosecure boluses are supposed to be the best boluses for copper.its a glass like bolus for want of a better word to describe it. They are ecpensive but worth it

Yes it could be possible alrite charlious

1. I am tight enough for feeding space

2. it is strictly silage I feed when cows are dry. Ration with silage when they calve obsivosuly enough.

Do many of ye feed straw right through dry period ?
Ya we feed a mix of 4kg straw, 20kg silage, 3kg maize, .5kg of premix and .3kg soya and .1dry cow minerals. We feed that to cow at least 8weeks prior to calving. Just wondering you were saying you were getting hassle with displaced stomachs after the cow has calved would she have access to food? Vet was saying to me access to food right away will help to lower displaced stomachs

Ya we feed a mix of 4kg straw, 20kg silage, 3kg maize, .5kg of premix and .3kg soya and .1dry cow minerals. We feed that to cow at least 8weeks prior to calving. Just wondering you were saying you were getting hassle with displaced stomachs after the cow has calved would she have access to food? Vet was saying to me access to food right away will help to lower displaced stomachs
Can you get them to eat that amount of straw? That’s a massive amount, do you have to leave them hungry for a bit to get them to eat it all

They would normally eat 5kg but as they get closer to calving intakes drop so over all prob average at 4 kg. They are fed once a day around half 5. The key is chop length and mix quality really
Any issues with scrapers or getting dungs through the slats,?

Any issues with scrapers or getting dungs through the slats,?
Not really we have a channel system that flows to a open tank. Only a matter of taking out a load of water from the open tank and let it into the channel every now and then, keeps it moving. Also if dung is getting very dry just up the soya a small bit

They would normally eat 5kg but as they get closer to calving intakes drop so over all prob average at 4 kg. They are fed once a day around half 5. The key is chop length and mix quality really

Are they british friesian type cows that your restricting there intake with all the straw to just keep them it.savage amount of straw.lucky your in a good straw area.christ if ya had to haul it all up the country it would be a fair bill.i personally wouldnt be giving more than 1.5kgs of it.....its working for you so no point in changing

Are they british friesian type cows that your restricting there intake with all the straw to just keep them it.savage amount of straw.lucky your in a good straw area.christ if ya had to haul it all up the country it would be a fair bill.i personally wouldnt be giving more than 1.5kgs of it.....its working for you so no point in changing
Pedigree Holstein fr. It wouldnt be restricting feed at all. Once cows are at ideal BC at dry off that mix will maintain and add about .5 or so to condition. We calved 145 cows last year and used the jack less than 10times and some of those times it was dinner time as hunger was at me. We use our own straw and I can see your point alright

So the bottom line is I need to feed a fairley good pre calver and supplement with iodine and zinc going by the mineral silage test I done last year ..

So the bottom line is I need to feed a fairley good pre calver and supplement with iodine and zinc going by the mineral silage test I done last year ..
Don't forget be careful with iodine usage and amounts as the co ops can pick it up

Aye if your co op or your a glanbia unfortunate where there putting powder into infant formula it will be definatley tested.
Might be no harm to get a milk mineral analysis done.you will have a good idea them wheither theres enough going in of all minerals

Would any iodine showing up in the milk be from iodine based teat dips and detergents.
Would they pick up dietary iodine .

Would any iodine showing up in the milk be from iodine based teat dips and detergents.
Would they pick up dietary iodine .

Know a man that had to move away from iodine dip locally .i myself find that iodine based dips hard on teats.
As you ask about dietary iodine if your using both an excess may show up but i wouldnt know for certain.just will show up an excess

Got results back for 1st n 3rd cut bales and 1st and 2nd cut pits.
1st cut bales and pit were tested for nitrogen in oldcastle lab on may 11th and both had clear samples for nitrogen.
Silage tested in fba and showing nitrogen in results .not excessive but enough.
Seen the same last yr.just wondering does many do or have much belief in testing grass before cutting.bar the 2nd cut it tested well.thankfully enough of 74 dmd silage to bring the milkers right tru til probably next april.

Got results back for 1st n 3rd cut bales and 1st and 2nd cut pits.
1st cut bales and pit were tested for nitrogen in oldcastle lab on may 11th and both had clear samples for nitrogen.
Silage tested in fba and showing nitrogen in results .not excessive but enough.
Seen the same last yr.just wondering does many do or have much belief in testing grass before cutting.bar the 2nd cut it tested well.thankfully enough of 74 dmd silage to bring the milkers right tru til probably next april.
"Had clear samples for Nitrogen" - was there not an actual figure given? Did you manage to sample anywhere you overlapped, headlands, younger leaves?

"Had clear samples for Nitrogen" - was there not an actual figure given? Did you manage to sample anywhere you overlapped, headlands, younger leaves?
Was down to almost "100 " on the test in oldcastle lab .Anything below 250 is ok to cut and above that needs a wilt up to 300.
above that they say wait and test again.
It may be possible but highly unlikely as i took numerous samples and mixed all up and sent it off.its well perserved so isnt an issue as such

Was down to almost "100 " on the test in oldcastle lab .Anything below 250 is ok to cut and above that needs a wilt up to 300.
above that they say wait and test again.
It may be possible but highly unlikely as i took numerous samples and mixed all up and sent it off.its well perserved so isnt an issue as such
Would never cut until down below 50 here, but I dont bother testing anymore as my N levels are always low and allows me cut if any sort of weather appears early

Back