Skipping fertiliser for a round

tombrowne

I'm finding it very hard to keep grass quality this year. Did a lot of reseeding the last few years coupled with the fact I have less stock this year I have a bit too much grass. I have only been putting out about 15 units after a grazing up to now. I already have a heap of bales since last year and made a few this year so don't want to go down that route either. I have been pre mowing but I need to get through the rotation faster as I'm getting tired of this pre mowing now.

Do I just cut out the fert completely to get them around faster or reduce it down to maybe 10 units per acre after a grazing ? Can you still have very good quality lush grass with no fertiliser ?

If you have a good crop of clover in your reseeds then you can skip fert on a few rotations. I have fresh reseeds that have got no nitrogen since March. Clover becomes lazy if you put out nitrogen in May and June.
The majority don't have clover except the very last reseed.

Sounds like your grass is under stress from a lack of fertiliser. Newly reseeded grass hates stress and only wants to head out in that scenario. I think the best option would be to let the animals graze first and eat the nice grass. Then go in and top what's left and fertize. You can speed up the rotation that way and topping will slow the regrowth.

Back