Slatted shed

Lads anyone here got a double tank slatted shed feeding on both sides . Talking to someone yesterday thinking of building on . Only issue he has is feeding passages are on the east and west sides of the shed . Shed would be a clear span A frame shed with a canopy over the feeding passages .
feeding north and south here. open on north. i would consider east/west a disaster for an exposed site.

Lads anyone here got a double tank slatted shed feeding on both sides . Talking to someone yesterday thinking of building on . Only issue he has is feeding passages are on the east and west sides of the shed . Shed would be a clear span A frame shed with a canopy over the feeding passages .
Ours is sort of set out to do it for meal feeding, it’s a 20ft tank in a 24ft shed, we just feed one side with silage and meal through the diet feeder but there’s a trough along the back for meal. If it was easier to do I’d definitely feed it from both sides with the feeder.
I was in a yard though with a tank done out to feed both sides, had a 10 or 12ft pen either side but he had a 6ft wall up the centre as a wind break and there was a bank the height of the shed at one side too, it seemed a great way to go to me

Have seen similar jobs done and still standing, I wouldn't be a fan of them myself, but on saying that, I have a shed on a rented farm and the builder of it 40 or 50yrs ago was creative to say the least

They had room enough to gid round an extra few ft to do it proper surely?

Saying that, it will probably do just fine for a lifetime!
I presume there's cubicles going round the outside?

Whatever about that the one thing I can’t get my head round is tom pemberton blocking and plastering slurry channels then pouring concrete into any bits they have to drive over. Surely a set of shutters would have been a better job and hardly that much extra in cost compared to a go of lads having to block and plaster them

Whatever about that the one thing I can’t get my head round is tom pemberton blocking and plastering slurry channels then pouring concrete into any bits they have to drive over. Surely a set of shutters would have been a better job and hardly that much extra in cost compared to a go of lads having to block and plaster them

I agree, it's no different than building block walls in a shed versus mass concrete walls. I know which I'd prefer all day long.

I do think though that readymix is much much more expensive than here so the economics may be very different.

Have seen similar jobs done and still standing, I wouldn't be a fan of them myself, but on saying that, I have a shed on a rented farm and the builder of it 40 or 50yrs ago was creative to say the least
There is a shed on the next farm to us built 40+ years ago. In the early years there was an incident where slats collapsed and cattle died. More recently the tank has developed a leak - they have lifted slats and loaded a side spreader with a mini digger. It would be interesting to know how much steel went into the tank.

Back