Slugs

Bog Man

Downloaded the Axcela app and you can use it to check the application rate of the pellets. Not sure what the figures mean . I think it means I have 25 pellets and I should have 43 .
87AEF07E-D794-42C9-9CBF-DDDC31D1CFBF.png 9E218D26-D18B-4199-B3B9-6DA9CD8299D0.png 3F611223-D897-473F-BC08-EF9892C14B45.png

Will barley recover from slug damage? Have a nice bit of damage in one field after Rape. Plants have been eaten after emergence. Thanks

Will barley recover from slug damage? Have a nice bit of damage in one field after Rape. Plants have been eaten after emergence. Thanks

From my experience, barley seems to suffer worse than wheat. Wheat can compensate more with tillering and larger ears/grains.
Keep on them with pellets.

I know I go on a bit about slugs but this is a warning to growers, numbers appear to be really high around here.

Pelleted some ground after WOSR and oats yesterday. There were a lot of dead slugs within 4 hours.

All the ground had been disced weeks ago in dry weather, this would have helped also.IMG_2586.jpegIMG_2585.jpegIMG_2584.jpegIMG_2587.jpeg

Full rate of 5kg/ha and pellets are getting scarce in some parts this morning.
The bodies are being ploughed down as we speak.

Growers have had a hard enough year without having the new crop getting damaged already.

The slugs bet Christ , got a spin home from d pub there was a huge snail on d door of d car going home , got to d front door of d house der was a huge snail on the door

I know I go on a bit about slugs but this is a warning to growers, numbers appear to be really high around here.

Pelleted some ground after WOSR and oats yesterday. There were a lot of dead slugs within 4 hours.

All the ground had been disced weeks ago in dry weather, this would have helped also.View attachment 128649View attachment 128650View attachment 128651View attachment 128652

Full rate of 5kg/ha and pellets are getting scarce in some parts this morning.
The bodies are being ploughed down as we speak.

Growers have had a hard enough year without having the new crop getting damaged already.

The will to plant winter crops which was weak enough anyway is weaker after reading that post....

The slugs bet Christ , got a spin home from d pub there was a huge snail on d door of d car going home , got to d front door of d house der was a huge snail on the door

With the constant fog here, its worse than that. There was 9 of them on the pump house wall last night.

2 weeks since we spread pellets prior ploughing wosr stubble. Wheat plots were planted and loads of rain since.

I still have not seen a single slug, not one. They were present prior to pelleting and lots of bodies present after pelleting.

The approach seems to be very successful.

Will slugs still do much damage to wheat sown on 8th October at this stage?
I don't see any damage or slugs on the ground during the day but put out two slates on Saturday with some oat flakes(porridge) under them and had 7 slugs under each slate on Sunday evening.
I would have to hire someone in to pellet the fields so don't want to bother if i'm safe to leave it.

I don't see any damage or slugs on the ground during the day but put out two slates on Saturday with some oat flakes(porridge) under them and had 7 slugs under each slate on Sunday evening.
I would have to hire someone in to pellet the fields so don't want to bother if i'm safe to leave it.
Similar scenario here. There seems to be a nice bit of grazing going on. Definitely can't travel it myself with the tractor as will do too much damage so it will have to be hire work with a quad.

If there’s grazing going on then I’d say pellets would be the way to go.

Back