Slurry spreading

FIAT 450

A question for you lads. We normally splash plate spread slurry but we have alot of grass on fields at present and plan to grazing in 3 weeks if the man above allows us. The thing is we will have to get the contractor in to do the slurry and he's after buying a dribble bar. How do lads find cows graze the paddocks after the dribble bar over the trailing shoe.? Bare in mind we will be grazing shortly after grazing. The trailing shoe is on a tanker and the dribble bar is just attached to the tractor and pumped from the pit

Lads what's the highest grass cover ye would spread 2.5k gallons of slurry to the acre? Picking out silage ground last grazed early November. Cover of 700 on it. Won't be grazing it till mid March all going well. Splash plate job

Lads what's the highest grass cover ye would spread 2.5k gallons of slurry to the acre? Picking out silage ground last grazed early November. Cover of 700 on it. Won't be grazing it till mid March all going well. Splash plate job
800-900 id say but it would want to be out a month to 6 weeks and get a nice washing.
As for the dribble bar question it leaves it in rows on/between the grass but still doubt you could graze it for 3-4 weeks tho, a lot better than a splash plate and not as good as the shoe but should be fine, I'd be watching the weather a bit tho, some soft wet weather within a few days will help rather than dry and cold of you get me. These dribble bars on the pipe systems are getting popular, lad near me about to buy a 12m, it has 2 macerators on it so when you are turning on the headland you can switch off one side to avoid putting out a heap of it in a triangle if you get me, sounds a super job ahead of cereals etc.

800-900 id say but it would want to be out a month to 6 weeks and get a nice washing.
As for the dribble bar question it leaves it in rows on/between the grass but still doubt you could graze it for 3-4 weeks tho, a lot better than a splash plate and not as good as the shoe but should be fine, I'd be watching the weather a bit tho, some soft wet weather within a few days will help rather than dry and cold of you get me. These dribble bars on the pipe systems are getting popular, lad near me about to buy a 12m, it has 2 macerators on it so when you are turning on the headland you can switch off one side to avoid putting out a heap of it in a triangle if you get me, sounds a super job ahead of cereals etc.
Dose the wetter time make it easier for the shoe to cut the track? Does the shoe generate docks? A guy not far away used the shoe 1side of the road and plate the other and fuck the docks that came after the shoe was unreal

Dose the wetter time make it easier for the shoe to cut the track? Does the shoe generate docks? A guy not far away used the shoe 1side of the road and plate the other and fuck the docks that came after the shoe was unreal
The shoe should just run on the surface just under the grass
An injector will cut slots

Did he have lots of docks in the shit?

Wouldn't it be great to be able to tell the future, what happens in the next few weeks weather wise will have a big effect where slurry is spread, low trajectory splashplates are great yokes to flatten any bit of a cover so you loose a lot of grass irrespective of what weather comes, the Moscha would be a better job if splashplating. not much between dribble bar and a shoe but they would be preferable in any bit of cover, dribble bars are preferred with a drag hose as they can cross the hose so less issues with field layout.

Yes naturally the softer the ground the easier the track the shoe can cut. As for the docks story, that makes no sense barring their was a huge infestation of dock seeds on the top of the ground and the shoe slightly disturbed them and they grew but wheels or foot prints from animals would do the same so that sounds a bit far fetched.

A question for you lads. We normally splash plate spread slurry but we have alot of grass on fields at present and plan to grazing in 3 weeks if the man above allows us. The thing is we will have to get the contractor in to do the slurry and he's after buying a dribble bar. How do lads find cows graze the paddocks after the dribble bar over the trailing shoe.? Bare in mind we will be grazing shortly after grazing. The trailing shoe is on a tanker and the dribble bar is just attached to the tractor and pumped from the pit

Probably s stupid question but would the umbilical system end up smearing the slurry over the grass from dragging the pipe?

Yes naturally the softer the ground the easier the track the shoe can cut. As for the docks story, that makes no sense barring their was a huge infestation of dock seeds on the top of the ground and the shoe slightly disturbed them and they grew but wheels or foot prints from animals would do the same so that sounds a bit far fetched.
Its a typical farmers response to the problem tho the docks grew because of someone's machine nothing to do with the fact the slurry was full of seed.
Not a go at the OP or you just how the word spreads some lads are never wrong and everyone else is .
On the trailing shoes there was one here and it's gone although a few further north on umbilicals.
Depends on the slurry the man wants to put out .
If it's well watered down it will be no problem if it's tick stuff you could still have bits in 6 weeks.
Usually dairy farms have nice slurry to work with.

Probably s stupid question but would the umbilical system end up smearing the slurry over the grass from dragging the pipe?
not realy . think because the slurry is under the leaf the pipe just pulls the grass over it and smearing is minimal . we spread slurry on a dairy farm every fortnight in the summer onto the cows grazing fields . they have the run of 60 odd acres and there never off it and they dont seem to bother . theyll be back over the field we spread the next day

The shoe should just run on the surface just under the grass
An injector will cut slots

Did he have lots of docks in the shit?
Well from the outside looking in its not a docky Farm. This patch of ground had been reseeding a year prior and we'll maintained and after slurry the docks seemed to come fast and quick.

Would it be better to leave those fields till after grazing if it's that close to being grazed?
Well I would like to but the rest of the land would be too wet to spread in a weeks time and Iam trying to use the slurry abit better on the early ground to save on the p and k

No matter how heavy you spread slurry with a splash plate in janurary ,it will be well washed in by the time you get to graze it .you do not get drying weather this time of year for the slurry to stick to grass too long.
I did it once before and never again. Cows would not eat the grass. It lay on the grass. The cows would just go out and lie down

Its a typical farmers response to the problem tho the docks grew because of someone's machine nothing to do with the fact the slurry was full of seed.
Not a go at the OP or you just how the word spreads some lads are never wrong and everyone else is .
On the trailing shoes there was one here and it's gone although a few further north on umbilicals.
Depends on the slurry the man wants to put out .
If it's well watered down it will be no problem if it's tick stuff you could still have bits in 6 weeks.
Usually dairy farms have nice slurry to work with.
Non taken it was just a observation from looking over the ditch. Maybe the docks were there all along and the shoe tickled them and off they grew or maybe it was in the slurry. They just seemed to come outa no were after spreading on a fresh pasture

This is the lightest cover we have cows were on this up to the 1st week in Nov and it was down to the clay wen they came off it. Shoe or dribble bar

Attachments

• 14837933634991608774608.jpg
    14837933634991608774608.jpg
    303.5 KB · Views: 162
Well from the outside looking in its not a docky Farm. This patch of ground had been reseeding a year prior and we'll maintained and after slurry the docks seemed to come fast and quick.
I wonder did that re seeded field get a post emergence spray-if it did not then that would explain it. Slurry is like cocaine to seedling docks

Back