Slurryp

John6610

Hi lads
Going renting some land out, some dairy boys interested some are a bit far away so I was wondering was it to do with nitrates, can slurry be over applied don't want it to be a dumping ground either should I be setting some sort of a limit on it or what do ye think. Thanks in advance

Hi lads
Going renting some land out, some dairy boys interested some are a bit far away so I was wondering was it to do with nitrates, can slurry be over applied don't want it to be a dumping ground either should I be setting some sort of a limit on it or what do ye think. Thanks in advance
Yes. Too much will kill worms and you'll end up with poorer soil that doesn't drain well.

Would you set a limit on them if so what
I don't know to be honest. Some slurry is great. A whole lot of it isn't. Could you ask them how much they intend to apply and how they intend to apply it. They you'll have to decide depending on what type of ground it is, what's being done with it etc etc. If they just dump slurry on it, it could cause pollution.

If I was to rent ground I would be trying my best to get that ground again and having it performing. I would say no more than 2500-3000gal/acre after each cut. I honestly don’t think it’ll be rented just to be abused, no financial sense imo. It’s prob just to keep the kgN/ha down for the dairy man.

Hi lads

Have a chat with your local land agent / agricultural auction house and see what their take on it is...
When you are renting "your" land out you would IMHO want a set of rules laid down what and when can be applied

Just think of your land as a hire car....... And we all know how well they are looked after...... Drive it like you stole it.....
Some parcels of land round here that get let out are flogged to death by veg growers......no body left in it

Back