small hedge cutter

mtb

Hi all.
Has anybody any experience with these small hedge cutters. I was thinking of getting one for a cabbed 135 for keeping the electric fence in good order. Would also be handy for trimming hedge around the house as the 135 wouldn't mark too much. The fence is a full time job especially during the summer as I am working outside the farm as well. My back is getting tired from the strimmer!!

Attachments

• 0.8m hedge cutter.PNG
    0.8m hedge cutter.PNG
    454.1 KB · Views: 378
Looking at the pictures the one problem I have with it is the cutting head is attached so much to one side it will be difficult to get behind fence posts, also its RH side build so would be putting you against the traffic if on a roadside.

1070 hedger.jpgFbar 1.jpgWe have one of each tidy machines,
The flail machine has limited reach but is fine on a small tractor, It will never do the work of a big machine but still as handy as a small pot, It has grass flails fitted so only really useful on current years growth, The flail also has Casappa cast iron hydraulic pumps.
https://www.google.com/aclk?sa=l&ai...=2ahUKEwj0yPGRsNnsAhVzuHEKHdQbC4MQ0Qx6BAgbEAE

Fingerbar hedger is lighter and has a better reach, great machine on proper ornamental hedges, head is a lot thinner on the fingerbar and would reach down better behind the wire as long as the growth is'nt too strong.
mtb I see you are in North Cork I'm in Lk so fairly close to you if you wanted to have a look at one before buying , pm me K

Last edited:
View attachment 83879View attachment 83880We have one of each tidy machines,
The flail machine has limited reach but is fine on a small tractor, It will never do the work of a big machine but still as handy as a small pot, It has grass flails fitted so only really useful on current years growth, The flail also has Casappa cast iron hydraulic pumps.
https://www.google.com/aclk?sa=l&ai...=2ahUKEwj0yPGRsNnsAhVzuHEKHdQbC4MQ0Qx6BAgbEAE

Fingerbar hedger is lighter and has a better reach, great machine on proper ornamental hedges, head is a lot thinner on the fingerbar and would reach down better behind the wire as long as the growth is'nt too strong.
mtb I see you are in North Cork I'm in Lk so fairly close to you if you wanted to have a look at one before buying , pm me K
Hi I'm also looking at buying this size of hedgecutter, for the same reasons as the OP.
However I only have a 100hp tractor mf 5610, would it be too big for these type of cutters do you think?
Who did you buy your cutters from?
Thanks

Hi I'm also looking at buying this size of hedgecutter, for the same reasons as the OP.
However I only have a 100hp tractor mf 5610, would it be too big for these type of cutters do you think?
Who did you buy your cutters from?
Thanks
Dont know where they are sold but with your tractor size I'd be looking at a good mcconnel pa93 second hand, it would go a lot more than these small cutters.

View attachment 83879View attachment 83880We have one of each tidy machines,

Hi There.
I would definitely would be interested at looking at your setup. I will probably leave it till the new year with covid restrictions and Santa clause around the corner. Where did you buy your machines

I bought direct from Deleks, paid by paypal so fairly safe transaction.

As we are Vat registered we can import the machines vat free which makes them very affordable compared to Mconnell etc, they were shipped from Italy, free shipping they took a week or there about.

Pm me when you want to call up and we'll arrange something.

Re Size we have the small hedger on a JD855 24 hp compact tractor, the flail fits our bigger compact 38hp 1070 JD, we also fit it to our 60 Hp Landscape tractor as well, 100hp AG tractor would be a bit big for the machine.
20191028_124029.jpg
Only pic I have of the bigger tractor on the small hedger.

Dont know where they are sold but with your tractor size I'd be looking at a good mcconnel pa93 second hand, it would go a lot more than these small cutters.
We also use 2 full sizes flail machines as well but the small machines fit in a lot of places the bigger machines will not go, horses for courses

Hedge cutting 2020 (2).jpg

Them size of hedgecutter seem to be costing a lot more secondhand than a new small hedgecutter, but I get what you are sayin, if I thought the small hedgecutter would work on my tractor I’d be more inclined to go for one than taking a chance on a secondhand bigger machine, I don’t have many hedges to do, mostly grass and brambles around electric fences it would be needed for, like the op I’m fed up of using the strimmers all summer.

Them size of hedgecutter seem to be costing a lot more secondhand than a new small hedgecutter, but I get what you are sayin, if I thought the small hedgecutter would work on my tractor I’d be more inclined to go for one than taking a chance on a secondhand bigger machine, I don’t have many hedges to do, mostly grass and brambles around electric fences it would be needed for, like the op I’m fed up of using the strimmers all summer.
One run around for a contractor. E4500 would cut some amount hedges.

Thanks again guys.
I get your point Arthur and I have thought about this expense vs contractor,4500 euro is a considerable sum, but most of our local contractors take off their machines for the late spring and summer to make way for silage and bailing season. This tends to be a busy time for everyone. I was just thinking that if i could sit up on tractor for a few hrs in the evening after work and cut ahead it would be handy. I was interested to see which was better flail head vs the finger bar . One of the people who have comment has both so I would like to see his point of view which would suit best. Hopefully in the new year i can make contact with him

One of the main reasons i'm looking for a small machine is the land is marginal and quite high and might not support the heavier machines and bigger tractors required to drive them .

I cannot seem to get a contractor that doesn’t want to cut the hedge to the butt. This years guy couldn’t get into his head that I didn’t want the tops cut at all and somehow convinced me to let him just take ‘a wee clip’ off them and proceeded then to do 5 passes to trim each side! I know it looks tidier but I really want to retain growth .

I keep reading about fencers capable of burning plants off as they grow near as they are so powerful.

That an option?

I cannot seem to get a contractor that doesn’t want to cut the hedge to the butt. This years guy couldn’t get into his head that I didn’t want the tops cut at all and somehow convinced me to let him just take ‘a wee clip’ off them and proceeded then to do 5 passes to trim each side! I know it looks tidier but I really want to retain growth .
You are not the only one. A lot of the hedges here are starting to die out because they have been battered with a flail too much.

I keep reading about fencers capable of burning plants off as they grow near as they are so powerful.

That an option?
If I had all my land in the one spot then definitely, a lot of fragmentation here, 4 to 5 units on the go here at any one time so not a runner unfortunately.

Reactions: AYF
You'll have to trim a bit off his bill maybe 😄

You are not the only one. A lot of the hedges here are starting to die out because they have been battered with a flail too much.
The hedges we mulched last year have recovered really well. With winter crops and wet weather they had got out of control. He breasted the side of a bounds ditch and it looks well.

And you would think your request would be music to the contractors ears!

There was a guy locally that bought a small tractor and compact hedge cutter to cut grass along pathways that used to be cut with full size tractors and he found out fairly quickly that the flail head to a lot more power to drive than he expected . If your used to seeing big tractors breezing along cutting grass don't expect to do the same with smaller tractor I'm assuming it's a mf 135 and not a case 135 your putting it on

Yes it’s a Mf 135. I wasn’t intending cutting hedges just merely under fences where the grass and briars have overgrown. Would still get the contractor in the autumn for the heavy stuff. I’m just trying to escape facing strimmer work to keep fences good throughout the year

Yes it’s a Mf 135. I wasn’t intending cutting hedges just merely under fences where the grass and briars have overgrown. Would still get the contractor in the autumn for the heavy stuff. I’m just trying to escape facing strimmer work to keep fences good throughout the year

Why not use Grazon 90 in a knapsack, for keeping briars etc down under wires ?

Back