soil analysis

I think that's a bit out of proportion. We are well aware of the importance of having ph right for growing grass in the group. Most members in the group have spread lime in the last few years. It is something that the group advisor has put a lot of emphasis on.
In context, the talk was about fertility in cows. A number of us, myself included noticed fertility issues in our cows the year after we spread lime. A lot of my cows repeated and calving was delayed. This was down to the lime on the land with high molybdenum locking up the copper leaving it unavailable for use. This caused a lot of loss in production. Our speaker last night spoke about the research on how spreading lower amounts of lime per acre results in more minerals being available for uptake. The consensus was that spreading 1 ton per acre every 2 years was better than spreading 2 ton per acre every 4 years.
There would have been copper sulphate spray used a lot years ago on our land and land in the area for potatoes that would gave been part of the rotation. Nobody ever worried about trace elements cause unknown to them they were adding them to the soil.

Reactions: Paw
There would have been copper sulphate spray used a lot years ago on our land and land in the area for potatoes that would gave been part of the rotation. Nobody ever worried about trace elements cause unknown to them they were adding them to the soil.
Yes and the so-called acid rain was supplying plenty of sulphur.

Back