Soil preparation

gone

Finished the winter barley stubble, winter oats stubble next.

Attachments

• 20150811_182026.jpg
    20150811_182026.jpg
    211.1 KB · Views: 220
  • 20150811_182020.jpg
    20150811_182020.jpg
    210.3 KB · Views: 200
  • 20150811_182017.jpg
    20150811_182017.jpg
    208.7 KB · Views: 209
  • 20150811_182013.jpg
    20150811_182013.jpg
    205 KB · Views: 225
Finished the winter barley stubble, winter oats stubble next.
uploadfromtaptalk1439323272701.jpguploadfromtaptalk1439323375981.jpg
Winter Oats straw chopped. Tilled to about six inches with very worn wings . In dry conditions the wings do very little work because the soil bursts up .

[MENTION=1843]gone[/MENTION] was there a massive amount of straw on there and will you give it a second pass ahead of drilling?

[MENTION=1843]gone[/MENTION] was there a massive amount of straw on there and will you give it a second pass ahead of drilling?
I will hire out a herd of my worms just need to work out how to get them into a trailer . I sometimes run over a field or parts of after a few weeks if there are any areas with excessive straw .. It is amazing how it will have broken down in a few weeks .
We sowed wheat after a six foot high crop of winter oats . Only a Kockerling could have sowed it . I got him to try out the drill empty to see would it drag straw but it was okay .

Thanks @BogMan every day is a school day

Was just looking at the third pic and thinking there was still a of straw on the surface. If it doesn't break down enough is there not a risk of disease carry over

Thanks @BogMan every day is a school day

Was just looking at the third pic and thinking there was still a of straw on the surface. If it doesn't break down enough is there not a risk of disease carry over
Less Eyespot in Mintill and slighty less vigerous crops due to less soil N mineralisation means less pre christmas disease carryover . I never found extra disease pressure and since my soil have improved I think we have better healthier plants . Plants with thicker cell walls are more resistant to disease .

That was for a bloke I work with and yes there was a lot of straw.
It was only given a light run to allow the straw rot down.
It will ploughed later in the autumn or next spring.
No trade for straw and P and K are too dear.

Last edited:
Whete are the locals going to practice for the allireland :lol:

In J D's where he always does. :D
He only gives out about my ploughing either way.
Ploughing in front of a world champion is nerve racking, that's why I'm going none inversion.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1442849019.197221.jpg
Apologies for posting here but I've seen this on Facebook, what's the advantage of converting to no28's, I've no 8's on mine and can't really blame them for bad work!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

View attachment 32255
Apologies for posting here but I've seen this on Facebook, what's the advantage of converting to no28's, I've no 8's on mine and can't really blame them for bad work!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No. 28's allow for wider tyres and turn the sod better, but use more fuel and are dearer.
I have changed over, bought them of Mike Roache and they were a good bit cheaper than that.

Do they plough a wider furrow? I'm ploughing 20inches on an ed85 or I think that's the number. 650 tyres and no issues so in your opinion would it be worth my while? I'm nit due new boards I just saw the add and wondered

Do they plough a wider furrow? I'm ploughing 20inches on an ed85 or I think that's the number. 650 tyres and no issues so in your opinion would it be worth my while? I'm nit due new boards I just saw the add and wondered

They are getting very popular. They will leave wider furrow bottom. If you are going from 8's to 28's I would say you would be happy.

It would be worth swapping over, but you would maybe be better to wear out your existing boards first.

Genuine metal has come down a lot in price over the past few years.

As far as I know an ED85 only goes out to 18", you need a 95 to get 20", even though the marker still says 20" on the 85.
But either way, if you are ploughing out to it's widest setting you will see a great improvement with the no.28's and they pack it better than the 8's as well.
Wait till you need boards and ring Mike Roche then.

Much the same here and when we bought the new plough went with no8s to match with the second plough . Have even ploughed in a contractors class with the 650s and the 5 furrow although at 16 inches and it went well some of the other lads had similar and smaller ploughs on 20.8 and and were not matching as well ( they would be good ploughmen )

How do no 9's and 28's match if they were ploughing together?

We used to have 8s and 9s ploughing together , would be grand when ploughing around 9inches or more as that's what suits 9s but any shallower would be ok but not great . Not sure how well 28s would match might be ok as they plough a wider furrow which would match better with a 9 than an 8 . The other thing is if having trouble to follow it quickly with the press or drill so no one will see it[emoji16][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1442948895.834323.jpg

Converted a couple of tonne of wheat into plough metal today. It's never very pleasing.

No. Haven't bought off him before. The man down beside you would always be very good for parts.

Yea he is good for kv stuff.
Got a pallet of stuff for the lemken at half the price in louth.was close to flogging the plough with the price of parts.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

If you melted down a few trailers from outside the gate you'd be in parts for a lifetime but I suppose that'd just be clowning around [emoji12] [emoji623]

I feel like melting the owner of them down, not much fun pulling onto the rd today. Were you up this way working today?

Yea he is good for kv stuff.
Got a pallet of stuff for the lemken at half the price in louth.was close to flogging the plough with the price of parts.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Did he want payment in Stg? Good few get the lemken stuff in Weirs up North.

Back