Soil Testing

If you are in a partnership and have an agent it’s very straight forward. Agent sends a text from DAFM system, client replies and advisor then has access and applies. 5 minute process from start to finish. Companies on the other hand require a paper authorisation form to be used to link the advisor and client 😡

Did hear of a couple partnerships which wouldn’t work, but vast majority seem to be fine
What if you're in a partnership and don't have an agent? Is this another cosy arrangement with the all powerful ACA to ensure farmers can't do it themselves.

Either way we will be paying for our own soil samples again this year. Call me suspicious but there's too many Green Party ministers advocating this scheme for my liking.

Call me suspicious but there's too many Green Party ministers advocating this scheme for my liking.
[/QUOTE]

Agree.... Call me suspicious but I don't think there's any such thing as a free lunch...il be doing some soil sampling in the new year and will be happy to pay the 15 / 20 € a sample, safe in the knowledge that my results are only shared with myself and no other dept / state body.

What if you're in a partnership and don't have an agent? Is this another cosy arrangement with the all powerful ACA to ensure farmers can't do it themselves.

Either way we will be paying for our own soil samples again this year. Call me suspicious but there's too many Green Party ministers advocating this scheme for my liking.

When I asked why couldn't I apply for it myself, like BFP and Beam, I met silence. After a minute or 2, I got the rant again that whoever did your BPS should do the scheme entry which is complete BS.

On the second point and not singling you out, but were people this sceptical about the Straw Incoporation scheme where most of the money is going into the farmers pocket.... in my own case, be very rare to do a detailed analysis like is proposed here which is the main incentive for me for entering.

Why would you need an advisor to enter. I know you may if in a partnership. But if not you just do it online on agfood. Or am I missing something. I don't have an advisor I just fill in my own forms. Will I need one if accepted in the scheme.
Definitely I think the information will be used to set maximum fertilizer usage in the future. But think it will be come a requirement going forward

If you enter the application form and are accepted, do you have to go ahead with the sampling or can you choose to decline? Does the whole farm have to be sampled then, seeing as I have the tillage end complete which might be the most restrictive...when will we know when/if we are accepted?
Maybe I should just read the terms and conditions...

When I asked why couldn't I apply for it myself, like BFP and Beam, I met silence. After a minute or 2, I got the rant again that whoever did your BPS should do the scheme entry which is complete BS.

On the second point and not singling you out, but were people this sceptical about the Straw Incoporation scheme where most of the money is going into the farmers pocket.... in my own case, be very rare to do a detailed analysis like is proposed here which is the main incentive for me for entering.
Fair point, I don't criticise anyone for entering the scheme and any initiative that encourages farmers to do more soil sampling is welcome.

I'd be just a little concerned about sharing soil quality information with any authority that has the power to influence how we farm our land. In particular the soil Carbon information. Is this pilot scheme an opportunity to get an estimate of the soil carbon content of our soils before the state tries to lay claim to it? Again, maybe I'm being suspicious but until it's agreed that we as farmers own the carbon contained in our soils I'm not comfortable sharing information on its quantity.

Fair point, I don't criticise anyone for entering the scheme and any initiative that encourages farmers to do more soil sampling is welcome.

I'd be just a little concerned about sharing soil quality information with any authority that has the power to influence how we farm our land. In particular the soil Carbon information. Is this pilot scheme an opportunity to get an estimate of the soil carbon content of our soils before the state tries to lay claim to it? Again, maybe I'm being suspicious but until it's agreed that we as farmers own the carbon contained in our soils I'm not comfortable sharing information on its quantity.

I think that is a valid point especially at the moment when there have been so many proclamations on who owns forestry carbon credits.

We have seen some measures for the new BPS, and to be honest something simple like soil sampling or a liming programme would be much better than more fallow areas or bird #### with questionable benefits.

I would be of the same opinion. This is a data harvesting operation. 8 samples X 10,000 farms is 80k samples. Samples are to be split with half the sample been tested in Ireland and the other half been tested in the UK (hmmm). The soil test will be basic, with a few micro nutrients also included using the Morgans extraction method🤦‍♂️. (this is still in consideration im lead to believe) The carbon test will be concluded via NRM. DAFM will retain the data so make sure all correlates for any future NMP using the LPIS given for the test. The test will be taken throughout the year so if your unlucky to be sampled at an unfavourable time, you P allowance could plummet. Each test must be costing €125 per sample, 80k into 10 million. For a farmer these tests will cost €40 to €50 quid. If your happy to give such data to the DAFM for €400, then fire ahead with the programme. Personally, I doubt I would give my soil data to get €4000 worth of tests.

I would be of the same opinion. This is a data harvesting operation. 8 samples X 10,000 farms is 80k samples. Samples are to be split with half the sample been tested in Ireland and the other half been tested in the UK (hmmm). The soil test will be basic, with a few micro nutrients also included using the Morgans extraction method🤦‍♂️. (this is still in consideration im lead to believe) The carbon test will be concluded via NRM. DAFM will retain the data so make sure all correlates for any future NMP using the LPIS given for the test. The test will be taken throughout the year so if your unlucky to be sampled at an unfavourable time, you P allowance could plummet. Each test must be costing €125 per sample, 80k into 10 million. For a farmer these tests will cost €40 to €50 quid. If your happy to give such data to the DAFM for €400, then fire ahead with the programme. Personally, I doubt I would give my soil data to get €4000 worth of tests.
You can't beat Tamany Hall, its a noble cause but I fear a fruitless enterprise

Letter out today from department of ag to say we've been approved in the new scheme and a sampler will be in contact in due course, did anyone not get in? They require 7 days notice from now to exit the scheme if you don't want to go ahead.

First we gave up our animals, putting a tag on their ear. Now we are giving up our land, putting a geo-tag on every few acres.

Those who do not learn history, are doomed to repeat it. :whistle:
What is the worst case scenario that can happen? I understand that high index land may be restricted with unnecessary fert applications to a degree but most land might be index 2 and 3. Can just some of your land be tested or must it all be done ( all my tillage ground got tested and lined this year) so will they want to keep tabs on that too?

What is the worst case scenario that can happen? I understand that high index land may be restricted with unnecessary fert applications to a degree but most land might be index 2 and 3. Can just some of your land be tested or must it all be done ( all my tillage ground got tested and lined this year) so will they want to keep tabs on that too?

Letter out today from department of ag to say we've been approved in the new scheme and a sampler will be in contact in due course, did anyone not get in? They require 7 days notice from now to exit the scheme if you don't want to go ahead.
It says on my Agfood account that I wasn’t selected, but I got a letter in the post today saying I’m in🤔

But if the Dept pay for testing it can hardly mean that they can claim any rights to our carbon sinks or rights, they might instead find out which type of land is more environmentally friendly and pay extra for greening measures on them? Just trying to figure out if it is a Pandora’s box they’re offering us. €500 would privately test my grassland, not a huge sum if it avoids a disadvantage along the way.

But if the Dept pay for testing it can hardly mean that they can claim any rights to our carbon sinks or rights, they might instead find out which type of land is more environmentally friendly and pay extra for greening measures on them? Just trying to figure out if it is a Pandora’s box they’re offering us. €500 would privately test my grassland, not a huge sum if it avoids a disadvantage along the way.

Was wrong with my interpretation of what was on agfood I got letter saying I had been accepted in scheme

Back