Spray Water

Rebelman

Hi all. I recently fitted a filter to my private water supply. It’s one of those ones that a bag of salt must be put into it every now and again. However this is also the water supply that I use to fill the sprayer. I know I’m probably over thinking it but will this salt treated water be ok to spray on crops? Have WB to spray in the next day or two. Thanks

Hi all. I recently fitted a filter to my private water supply. It’s one of those ones that a bag of salt must be put into it every now and again. However this is also the water supply that I use to fill the sprayer. I know I’m probably over thinking it but will this salt treated water be ok to spray on crops? Have WB to spray in the next day or two. Thanks
lf you're happy to drink the water yourself why wouldn't it be ok for crops?

We used salt water from the shore this year to burn of the spuds, my father said it was the cleanest drills he ever dug with no crap weeds growing in them, all burned off. The salt you're using might be a different type of salt but might be a good idea to find out more or do a test

Put a tee piece on before the water softener filter and take you water for farming from that. I did this as I was softening all the water for the farm. Now I only have the softened water going to the dwelling house and the milking parlour. The water troughs and drinkers in sheds are not going through the filer. I was using loads of salt before I changed. Hope that makes sense.

Was just going to say the same as Neat, we have cotton filters and a uv lamp on our supply and everything was going through it causing filters to dirty very quickly so we t’d the farm supply off before them and it’s much better now

Last edited:
What is the correct PH for spraying water and if it is high or low is there an easy way to correct by throwing a drop of mix into the tank every time?
Slightly acidic I believe but it’s never something I’ve stressed about.
More of an issue if spray mix is left in tank overnight with hard water. Quite hard water here and can’t say I’ve ever seen a spray work poorly.

I had a minor panic attack many years ago when spraying roundup on stubble to kill couch grass. The well water at home is exceptionally hard. After a bit of asking around I discovered that was the problem. I bought two 10k litre tanks for under gutters and filtered it in. Most of the time I have enough water to cover whole place. It speeds up the show no end as well. I think soft or rain water is by far and away the best job for spraying. But worth putting a ph strip in every now and again to see if adding a bit of sprayplus or similar is worth it. Definitely a tool that enables roundup rate reduction. Always find it gas how much lads will spend on sprayers and how little they'll spend on water infrastructure. This little spend allowed me to go from a 2800 trailed back to an 1800 mounted with an actual improvement in output.

In your experience do most of the co-ops stock Sprayplus. If I could track it down I might give it a try.

Very hard water here and generally just use Gallup 360. I’ve never once had a problem with effectiveness as far as I could see.

That said, it would be very rare that I would have to spray off permanent grassland. Did some old grass with Docks this year and used the full rate of Roundup Flex on it. Haven’t seen a trace of regrowth.

Very hard water here and generally just use Gallup 360. I’ve never once had a problem with effectiveness as far as I could see.

That said, it would be very rare that I would have to spray off permanent grassland. Did some old grass with Docks this year and used the full rate of Roundup Flex on it. Haven’t seen a trace of regrowth.
You should try some AMS with reduced rates of Glypho, it should show great results if your water is hard.

Just when using glyphosate or do you use for other tank mixes?
The water here is soft and I am often using rainwater, but if I was on very hard water I would probably be using solid ASM in a water tank for spraying and have it treated before I even start filling.

Back