spraying docks

Hi ..I sprayed some of my land last week with Eagle and the docks are dying away ..I need to spray another field this week and plan to use more Eagle but there is buttercup in the field too so wondered can I add MCPA with the Eagle and If so do I keep to the recommended amount of each product per hectare or if I need to adjust the amount .I will be using a 300 litre sprayer.Thanks

You need to wait 4 months after applying Forefront T before sowing clover (according to label)

Might be being alarmist here but get a "proper" opinion on forefront before you start planting stuff after using it, maybe ask CORK for an opinion, I think (AND ITS ONLY I THINK) we threw loads of shit at a spud field that had silage waste Init, it left big yellow rings in the spuds and stmted growth/yield, I'm fairly sure our agronomist put it down to forfront, (but like I said I may have the wrong product!!!!!)

Might be being alarmist here but get a "proper" opinion on forefront before you start planting stuff after using it, maybe ask CORK for an opinion, I think (AND ITS ONLY I THINK) we threw loads of shit at a spud field that had silage waste Init, it left big yellow rings in the spuds and stmted growth/yield, I'm fairly sure our agronomist put it down to forfront, (but like I said I may have the wrong product!!!!!)

Sounds right, that’s why you are not meant to use on silage fields as the dung and waste silage can effect other crops when spread on the land. I find it a pretty scary product!

Hi ..I sprayed some of my land last week with Eagle and the docks are dying away ..I need to spray another field this week and plan to use more Eagle but there is buttercup in the field too so wondered can I add MCPA with the Eagle and If so do I keep to the recommended amount of each product per hectare or if I need to adjust the amount .I will be using a 300 litre sprayer.Thanks
I use 2L/ha of MCPA and 40g/ha of Eagle, but that would be earlier in the year, it is getting very dry for Eagle to work well, it may be wetter with you, but Eagle hates drought.

Would Envy work? Used it here last week but not been out for a proper look. It says it does dandelions and broad lead weeds. Will have a look tomorrow and see if it lists buttercups

Would Envy work? Used it here last week but not been out for a proper look. It says it does dandelions and broad lead weeds. Will have a look tomorrow and see if it lists buttercups
It will not work as well as if it used in ideal conditions, but not near as touchy as Eagle, it may also set back the grass a bit.
It should be OK, not ideal conditions, but Eagle can fail to work completely in drought conditions.
If it was early last week, it was not far from ideal conditions.

Sounds right, that’s why you are not meant to use on silage fields as the dung and waste silage can effect other crops when spread on the land. I find it a pretty scary product!

Ya its scary stuff when you think about it.

I see briars that were sprayed with it last year still dead. It kills everything except grass

Docks will be feeding their roots now, if they have been cut or topped in the last few weeks, so a good systemic herbicide should work well now, if you get in before the frost.

Docks will be feeding their roots now, if they have been cut or topped in the last few weeks, so a good systemic herbicide should work well now, if you get in before the frost.
this,as long as the weather stays warm for a week or 2

I was told spray before the end of September.... I’m thinking ur late.

@Mf240 got his outfarm beside me sprayed roughly this time 2 years ago , in the aftergrass After the 2nd cut. I thought at the time that he was mad to bother wasting the spray at that stage of the year.

In fact , it is still relatively dock free . Seemed to get an exceptional kill.

I have always thought that the worst thing you could do with say Roundup, was was to use a double rate, "To get a right good kill ".
my theory with that , is that it kills it too quick , scorching the green leaf before it has a chance to travel down to the roots, and kill the plant.
Same with spraying docks later in the year. It will take longer to work , but there will have been a better uptake by the plant and hopefully then , a better kill.

maybe I am very wrong

this,as long as the weather stays warm for a week or 2

Different years and different weather.

Today wouldnt entice anyone to spray anything . Barely 10 degrees.

I have always thought that the worst thing you could do with say Roundup, was was to use a double rate, "To get a right good kill ".
my theory with that , is that it kills it too quick , scorching the green leaf before it has a chance to travel down to the roots, and kill the plant.
Same with spraying docks later in the year. It will take longer to work , but there will have been a better uptake by the plant and hopefully then , a better kill.

maybe I am very wrong

es.
I would say that's spot on:Thumbp2:

Have a meadow here that I have just taken up in the last week and it has a lot of docks on it. I did them with the Napsack last year with Grazon 90 and got a good kill but this year I'll do them with the tractor sprayer. I want to clean up the field a bit as there are some small rushes in it too.
I'm planning on spraying it with Hurler. Can I mix MCPA with the Hurler in the same tank? What would the rate be for a 400l tank?

Have a meadow here that I have just taken up in the last week and it has a lot of docks on it. I did them with the Napsack last year with Grazon 90 and got a good kill but this year I'll do them with the tractor sprayer. I want to clean up the field a bit as there are some small rushes in it too.
I'm planning on spraying it with Hurler. Can I mix MCPA with the Hurler in the same tank? What would the rate be for a 400l tank?
Personally I'd be very slow to go with MCPA in any field that you have closed for silage, it kills ground I think and gives a serious check to grass growth. Would you be better off waiting until after the silage to spray the rushes as they come up in the aftergrass? Docks are ideal for spraying around now.

MCPA @ 2.7L/Ha
Hurler/Reaper/Binder @ 2L/Ha
They can be mixed.
Do you have clover?
I use MCPA mixed with Eagle and find it works well at this time of year it and it is clover safe.
As for what area your sprayer will cover, how long is a piece of string, what speed are you driving at, what nozzles are you using and what pressure is the sprayer set to?
1619602792882.png

MCPA @ 2.7L/Ha
Hurler/Reaper/Binder @ 2L/Ha
They can be mixed.
Do you have clover?
I use MCPA mixed with Eagle and find it works well at this time of year it and it is clover safe.
As for what area your sprayer will cover, how long is a piece of string, what speed are you driving at, what nozzles are you using and what pressure is the sprayer set to?
View attachment 90819
There's approximately 1 hectare in total - so it's not a big area of ground. I'll be putting on 400l to cover this 1 hectare. It's old sward and there's no clover in it. Thanks @gone, that's really useful information for me.

Personally I'd be very slow to go with MCPA in any field that you have closed for silage, it kills ground I think and gives a serious check to grass growth. Would you be better off waiting until after the silage to spray the rushes as they come up in the aftergrass? Docks are ideal for spraying around now.

I'm going to have to weigh that up and decide if I'll spray the rushes separate. The docks have to be done anyway!

I'm going to have to weigh that up and decide if I'll spray the rushes separate. The docks have to be done anyway!
I would go weak with the mcpa to try avoid checking the grass and spray later in the year again If you like. I assume they are weak rush of you are meadowing it so s light touch will check them enough for grass to overcome them in my experience.
I would avoid the mcpa altogether if conditions are very dry.

Personally I would do the hurler(whats in that?)
Then the mcpa later in the season to catch any straggler docks plus the rushes

Back