Spring Barley - General Thread

Guy who sets our grain was here yesterday, he sat 30 acres for another man Friday of home saved barley, actually more like he kept it from last year for the cattle and had some left over so he set it. When contractor was finished the farmer said that he forgot he had burned off the barley last harvest with roundup. My question is that I know it's totally forbidden if growing for "seed" but how much of an effect would ye think it would have on the germination? Nothing whatsoever to do with me but I will be looking over the ditch for the next few weeks.

Guy who sets our grain was here yesterday, he sat 30 acres for another man Friday of home saved barley, actually more like he kept it from last year for the cattle and had some left over so he set it. When contractor was finished the farmer said that he forgot he had burned off the barley last harvest with roundup. My question is that I know it's totally forbidden if growing for "seed" but how much of an effect would ye think it would have on the germination? Nothing whatsoever to do with me but I will be looking over the ditch for the next few weeks.

Dodgy dodgy. Might be ok but I doubt it. Seen it a couple of times, shoots emerge twisted and deformed. Depends how much was taken up.

Finished here yesterday, 11.6 stone all propino. 20 acres to roll yet, pulled the roller with the paddles on it yesterday morn (before god woke up) put on d fert and set then, had to give d eve spraying in a panic, winter barley had rhynco and needed terpal badly. Just maize and grasseeds to go in now. Seem a few tractors working today up the midlands by the motorway, being dragged shopping to Kildare village, I'd rather be picking stones!
Kildare Village no less she must think the barley is going to yield well and you have some sold forward at the high price . Or are you a kept man like me . But it worrys me what will become of me when my good looks and stamina have faded and I have to rely on farming for my champagne lifestyle :scared:

I was short of a can of siltra yesterday eve so she brought it up to me in d field of corks new 1 kws tower and she said "my god that looks well, that's the biggest flag leaf I have ever seen", I replied that's not the flag leaf love so the biggest is yet to come!! Her jaw dropped....So yea she thinks d osr looks well with the yellow flowers in the sun-very pretty....

I was short of a can of siltra yesterday eve so she brought it up to me in d field of corks new 1 kws tower and she said "my god that looks well, that's the biggest flag leaf I have ever seen", I replied that's not the flag leaf love so the biggest is yet to come!! Her jaw dropped....So yea she thinks d osr looks well with the yellow flowers in the sun-very pretty....

Tower has good straw too so it should stay up for you too.......;)

all depends on how much %moisture was in the grain when sprayed

[MENTION=2524]CORK[/MENTION] what's the story on mickle seems to be one or two putting it in

Nothing special about it but nothing wrong with it either. Was new on the list last year. Good straw, not the best on disease.

Nothing special about it but nothing wrong with it either. Was new on the list last year. Good straw, not the best on disease.

Have it sowed here for malting, as you say good straw, good yielder, small grain but susceptible to ryncho.

All if I remember my sheet right!

I taught mickle was feed only? What company are malting that variety? Good on rhynco if I remember and good to stand but yield wise nothing majorly above the rest.

I taught mickle was feed only? What company are malting that variety? Good on rhynco if I remember and good to stand but yield wise nothing majorly above the rest.

Thought it was a feed variety also. Perhaps its being used for roasting?

Ah that explains it thanks. Requirements for Roasting are completely different to that for Malting.

Yep quite true, should concentrate more late at night when posting!!

It is good for another market for barley though.

I posted about barley sprayed off with round-up before. My cousins sprayed oss headlands of a field last year and saved some seed from the middle of the field and got it tested and it failed germination test due to round up, they were told it would come up grand but would not amount to anything when it came to head forming.

I sowed sosr seed that had been sprayed off(a few years ago when i was trying to get started) It did 1.5ton which i was very happy with. How much is scare mongering and how much is fact?

Why would you chance pre harvest round up and home saving? Sounds like a serious gamble, home saving yea but pre harvest aswell.. ?

Oh no don't let the hippy dudes in the vw camper van hear about this roundup ready barley... If he manages to produce it I will take a bit, would be handy for the canary grass.

We buy a bit of c2 seed every year and save seed from that. Our own seed can quite often be better grain than the bought in seed. A lot of the malting barley up here in NE Scotland is pre harvest rounduped and it has to be 98% germination.

We buy a bit of c2 seed every year and save seed from that. Our own seed can quite often be better grain than the bought in seed. A lot of the malting barley up here in NE Scotland is pre harvest rounduped and it has to be 98% germination.

Some malting contracts here allow pre harvest roundup too. For malting it just has to germinate and convert sugars in the grain. It doesn't have to grow into a complete plant.

Back