Spring Barley - General Thread

Anyone heard the bad news about Barley in the South East . Plant counts are only 500 to 700 as it never tillered . Grain sites could not make up the yields unlike wheat. I did not count ours but they are a bit airy looking even though rank green still. I had a malting Barley grower looking in on my field and it is a lot greener than his ploughed stuff .

Anyone heard the bad news about Barley in the South East . Plant counts are only 500 to 700 as it never tillered . Grain sites could not make up the yields unlike wheat. I did not count ours but they are a bit airy looking even though rank green still. I had a malting Barley grower looking in on my field and it is a lot greener than his ploughed stuff .
Last counts I did in the plots (Light to medium texture) were in the region of 700. That’s despite having at least 1000 tillers at the end of tillering.

The drought in May must have caused some to die off.

We have commercial Planet in heavier ground that looks thicker. Also some commercial Gangway on medium ground which was planted excessively thick by accident.

I was in a few fields of barley yesterday and I didn’t see any. It wouldn’t be as advanced as what you have there, a week or so behind . What you have there was probably ok a week ago as well.
That’s a bit of errigal, late tillers have a few, nothing major but still a disappointment, I’ll have a look at planet later on

Going to cause a lot of problems at harvest for barley to make malting or brewing as less heads to soak up all that nitrogen.

Anyone else been plagued by crows on Spring barley yet. They started on mine two days ago so had to spend today with my gun teaching them how to practice social distance:2guns::2guns::2guns:

Going to cause a lot of problems at harvest for barley to make malting or brewing as less heads to soak up all that nitrogen.

Anyone else been plagued by crows on Spring barley yet. They started on mine two days ago so had to spend today with my gun teaching them how to practice social distance:2guns::2guns::2guns:
Starting into spring barley here also

I was rogueing wild oats last werk.
When you look down in there's quite a few late green tillers.
That and drought patches that have started to green again. There's alot of ears half stuck in the leaf sheath.
It's unfortunately gonna be a glyphosate year..

I have that here too in Gangway on an exposed site, seems worse up on the brow. It's pretty extensive too and I don't know why. A field sown an hour before just down the road is clean of it.

I'll put up a photo of it tomorrow. Didn't check the Planet yet.

20200630_192803.jpg

That's the Gangway, it's in Planet here too as well.

Same field, tram line along ditch was a bit out for sprayer

Attachments

• 3965CAD7-F0E3-489D-A2EE-0D0E5AF7090E.jpeg
    3965CAD7-F0E3-489D-A2EE-0D0E5AF7090E.jpeg
    288.3 KB · Views: 54
  • C9D7B43B-FC5A-434A-B688-DEE5527708BA.jpeg
    C9D7B43B-FC5A-434A-B688-DEE5527708BA.jpeg
    354.4 KB · Views: 54
  • CFBFD3FA-DB85-4EA8-808B-5E7360ACF3C4.jpeg
    CFBFD3FA-DB85-4EA8-808B-5E7360ACF3C4.jpeg
    233 KB · Views: 52
  • DD358ACB-73F4-453F-9C66-1D2C8B40FD7D.jpeg
    DD358ACB-73F4-453F-9C66-1D2C8B40FD7D.jpeg
    350.4 KB · Views: 51
  • D8E38D49-7A92-4E6B-B323-E8C0147708A7.jpeg
    D8E38D49-7A92-4E6B-B323-E8C0147708A7.jpeg
    330.8 KB · Views: 52
Was wandering through the SB today checking crow damage and rogueing any wild oats etc, it has recovered a lot since the drought ended. The good is excellent and the burnt up bare patches has now filled out albeit unevenly and patchy. First two pics are the good, last two are the recovered poor.
20200714_173244.jpg 20200714_173233.jpg 20200714_174106.jpg 20200714_174103.jpg

Christ that’s a pity to see, a right pain.

Spoke to a man from Carlow today and he said there’s green patches turning up across acres and acres of spring barley:tdown:
I have a neighbour here who is a.large grower and probably the best I know of, great man to have even , healthy looking crops across all land types and his spring barley is all over the place this year. Greenery appearing everywhere in it

I have a neighbour here who is a.large grower and probably the best I know of, great man to have even , healthy looking crops across all land types and his spring barley is all over the place this year. Greenery appearing everywhere in it
He’s not on his own. When I last sprayed mine, any of the bare or thin patches have now filled out quite well but in new greenery. Quite obvious from a distance where the patches are.

What's the latest I can give the ears a wash?
Mine turning yellow,think it's too late:undecided:
I'll get a pic in the morning

The worst of mine is horrendous, 2 crops, 1 ripening and 2nd just after flowering.
What the f#€£ I will be able to do with it I just don't know. Roundup when the 1st crop is near fit and try blast the half ripe crop out the back of the combine???????????

The worst of mine is horrendous, 2 crops, 1 ripening and 2nd just after flowering.
What the f#€£ I will be able to do with it I just don't know. Roundup when the 1st crop is near fit and try blast the half ripe crop out the back of the combine???????????
I honestly dont know what's going to be done with it all. I winder if the weather played ball and the first lot was rotten ripe and you sprayed it would it ripen the second lot quick enough... maybe it would all end in a loss then though. You might be right

I think what you describe is the best compromise, came to the same conclusion with someone regarding winter barley last week.

Back