Spring Barley - General Thread

you,re right there,s a lot of corn to be cut down here, know lads with 100s of acres to cut and nothing has moved since last saturday , a big problem is lads are only running one big combine now and that works fine when a lot of winter cereals are sown as it spreads the harvest but in a year like this its a problem . finished my own barley here on saturday and averaged 3 ton which is better than the last 2 yrs and to be honest i wasn,t expecting anything over 2.5 tons

I think you hit the nail on the head humungus, last autumn plantings were way down in the not so sunny southeast and it came back to bite this harvest especially as there was no break in crops either at spring time.

I think a lot of progress was made in the last few afternoons, most are back concentrating on straw now which is always a good sign that harvesting is just about there.

I've gotten into custom cutting now it seems. One or 2 members will recognize the location. 20200910_154918.jpg
Decent sward of straw on it and looks to be yielding fairly well but an awful lot of heads on the ground. 19.5 moisture. I must ask him what variety. Both combines will be in it tomorrow. I may don the Stetson and park the Dodge at a suitable angle to give that American feel to the operation. Shotgun causally laying on the bonnet as well :laugh:

I've gotten into custom cutting now it seems. One or 2 members will recognize the location. View attachment 82152
Decent sward of straw on it and looks to be yielding fairly well but an awful lot of heads on the ground. 19.5 moisture. I must ask him what variety. Both combines will be in it tomorrow. I may don the Stetson and park the Dodge at a suitable angle to give that American feel to the operation. Shotgun causally laying on the bonnet as well :laugh:
Do you not have a gun rack for the Dodge?
f266095e49fa1e37431c3b296378538d.jpg

Land dry enough to travel again, but all fully flatend since I looked last so scratch that on prospect @diesel power. The crop itself is very wet underneath, some sun tomorrow but dam all, can probably travel now without too much fear but the moisture will be crappy, take what you can now I suppose

Land dry enough to travel again, but all fully flatend since I looked last so scratch that on prospect @diesel power. The crop itself is very wet underneath, some sun tomorrow but dam all, can probably travel now without too much fear but the moisture will be crappy, take what you can now I suppose
The pictures don't really show the full extent of it but this is what I was cutting for the neighbour. Only for today's savage wind and sun it would never have been got.
20200912_143359.jpg 20200912_143356.jpg
Did 3 ton to the acre after.

The good day came in the nick of time, and a big enough looking field too. Be some hardship cutting there in dull dead weather :speechless:
I took the headlands and one set off it yesterday and I spent as much time in reverse as I did going forwards. The barley flew through the combine today thankfully.
@nashmach Only one load went in so far and that was 19.5 but I'd say the moisture today was less. I was half reddened from the awns coming in at me in that excuse of a cab.

Great to have it done. I wouldnt be rushing in with the baler with the weather to stay good though, there’s straw bales heating all over the country due to not having enough time to wilt.
A man came in this eve and insisted it was baled this evening, I told him I didn’t think it was ready but he reckoned he knew more, all baled, currently being transported and fully paid for l so he can do what he likes now :lol:

Last of the straw baled this evening while the father cut the last of the wheat on hire. So combine done for the year and all the straw done for the year and second cut silage wrapped up last night also on our home farm. It’s a good feeling to have it all done. Grain wise went ok for the year we got and more than happy. Straw wise was poor in quality and quantity.

A man came in this eve and insisted it was baled this evening, I told him I didn’t think it was ready but he reckoned he knew more, all baled, currently being transported and fully paid for l so he can do what he likes now :lol:
Whats it making a bale anyway?

Back