Spring Barley - General Thread

Nearly finished the barley today have about 10
Mins cutting , just couldn’t get it into the combine when it got dark. The last 30 acres is touching close to 3 ton but won’t know until I empty the shed and trailers, also a good crop of straw on it which will help meet the demand as we were very tight on bale numbers.

Finally finished and all weight dockets added up , with just north of 200 acres is spring barley and 90% was laureate it did 2.8 ton per acre. The early crops in the light land really did suffer both in grain and straw yield but the later crops which there was the majority of helped pull yields back up. Straw was very scarce and getting it hard to supply regular customers with orders.

That one in the picture is "Only " 36 or 37 years old .

Could not find a pic of his one :laugh:

Served his time with Gibb's and started driving with them 50 years ago with a Seddon Atkinson and drove for 35years with them when the owner called it a day.

Gibb's are back on the road again 4 years ago, One of the grandchildren started up and has last i heard has 4 units on the road.

My brother is still driving at 70, Works for Gray and Adams now. He is delivering fridge vans that are built in Fraserburgh

43359659180_31586b1a01_b.jpg

Finally finished and all weight dockets added up , with just north of 200 acres is spring barley and 90% was laureate it did 2.8 ton per acre. The early crops in the light land really did suffer both in grain and straw yield but the later crops which there was the majority of helped pull yields back up. Straw was very scarce and getting it hard to supply regular customers with orders.

Did you get much of the later sown barley to pass Laoisfarmer?

Did you get much of the later sown barley to pass Laoisfarmer?
A lot of that was seed and it all passed , one block of malt passed on spec but had fusarium so failed but went in as IDL barley in Glanbia which when all the bonus’s are added in works out only €5 under the malt price. I front loaded any malt that was sown later , 4 bags of 10/8/23 down the spout and 2 bags of 29/0/14 broadcast in front of the drill and it seemed to work with proteins being just ok. To be honest I got a late contract For idl as a lot of growers had sprayed off there barley for that and I didn’t bother going to Kilkenny with the malt because loads were failing, Portlaoise is a lot handier and quicker. Also got very annoyed with Boortmalt when they changed the protein level halfway through harvest after 200 ton had failed on .2 to high for protein, surprisingly enough passed to cover my seed and spray bill though!!!

Last edited:
A lot of that was seed and it all passed , one block of malt passed on spec but had fusarium so failed but went in as IDL barley in Glanbia which when all the bonus’s are added in works out only €5 under the malt price. I front loaded any malt that was sown later , 4 bags of 10/8/23 down the spout and 2 bags of 29/0/14 broadcast in front of the drill and it seemed to work with proteins being just ok. To be honest I got a late contract For idl as a lot of growers had sprayed off there barley for that and I didn’t bother going to Kilkenny with the malt because loads were failing, Portlaoise is a lot handier and quicker. Also got very annoyed with Boortmalt when they changed the protein level halfway through harvest after 200 ton had failed on .2 to high for protein, surprisingly enough passed to cover my seed and spray bill though!!!
What is the IDL bonus over feed with them?

10 and then if you do a bit of paperwork 15. They have a list of things that would be environmentally good that qualify like maintaining hedgerows , min till , bee box’s and of course crops have to be glyphosate free
The 2 private merchants around here that have the IDL contract also were the €15. Filled a survey.

Back