Spring Barley - General Thread

rustymcsocks

Went to open a set down the field in the dark and ended up on the same headland. Plough man said I grubbed about half of it.
That is the funniest thing I've read in ages. I can see how it would happen.
Given big fields are boring but some small ones are a pain in the hole.
We've a narrow one. Exactly 1 hectare and 2 ESB poles in it. One run around the headland with the sprayer will cover the full field.

FIAT 450

What would guys think would be enough fert for spring barley after a lay? 60units in total? Got 30 down the spout at sowing. Prob be hitting it end of this week early next. All starting to show its head here.

Masseyrk662

Iv been sowing in ley the last 5 years now and always call it off at 65/70 and it still falls in some spots. But Iv never used terpal yet

J

John kverneland

Got rained off today just about to get started, story of my life whenever im actually ready for sowing it rains..

nashmach

What would guys think would be enough fert for spring barley after a lay? 60units in total? Got 30 down the spout at sowing. Prob be hitting it end of this week early next. All starting to show its head here.

Is that the hungry ground that you took on lately?

I'd be going a bit stronger if it was mine 70 to 75 units/ac.

gone

Do you give the headlands a run before sowing them?
Yes.
I didn't plough that field, gave it 2 deep runs of the Karat, the headlands had 1 run before the middle of the field was sown and then a second run before they are sown.
When doing ploughed ground I give the whole field 1 run and the headlands a 2nd run after the middle is sown.