Spring Barley - General Thread

What rate of terpal do ye go with on spring barley usually ? This will be my first year using it, putting it on this I was thinking 1 litre per hectare, it got CCC at tillering

Attachments

• E645A03D-18A9-4D48-A62B-67E812681181.jpeg
    E645A03D-18A9-4D48-A62B-67E812681181.jpeg
    345 KB · Views: 41
  • 96B90C75-22BA-4C83-8D03-20DA2114C210.jpeg
    96B90C75-22BA-4C83-8D03-20DA2114C210.jpeg
    367 KB · Views: 42
There is very little spring barley down here that needs it this terpal, it’s all quite poor, I’d be guessing half tonne plus back on other years.

I thought it was just me, I'm trying to keep away from the SB ground as much as possible not to annoy myself.

Thankfully I've the winter oats beside the yard!

Most crops sown around Patrick's week/week after are decent and shooting now but anything else is poor and I've heard the closer you go to the coast to the worse it is.

When is it too late for growth regulator on barley?
(Answers worded for total novices like me please!!)
Sprayer man has just been in giving it herbicide and fungiside nd phoned me asking why it hasn't had growth reg as it's the biggest crop he's seen this year. And a bit concerned it will fall flat!!!
Drilled 11th April
Its shot up something unreal in the last two weeks.
Laureate variety

When is it too late for growth regulator on barley?
(Answers worded for total novices like me please!!)
Sprayer man has just been in giving it herbicide and fungiside nd phoned me asking why it hasn't had growth reg as it's the biggest crop he's seen this year. And a bit concerned it will fall flat!!!
Drilled 11th April
Its shot up something unreal in the last two weeks.
Laureate variety
Terpal can go on before the awns start to emerge.

Hardly knee high and and first awns are appearing already, not very thick either. Never really got a good colour at all this year.

First photo is the best of it.View attachment 93165
View attachment 93166
View attachment 93167
That looks fine to me. You'd never get over the trauma if you had to look at my spring barley in 18 and last year. This year is in a different league altogether as long as we don't get a month like today that is.

That doesn’t look too bad at all Nash…..it might surprise you.

You never know but I think in general it is too thin and some headlands are poor so I'm not confident.
That looks fine to me. You'd never get over the trauma if you had to look at my spring barley in 18 and last year. This year is in a different league altogether as long as we don't get a month like today that is.

Ah we won't mention 2018.... and this could stretch a nice bit yet, here is hoping.

The weather did a lot of harm to yield potential around here in April, I've heard several say now with the exception of spring oats, there are not many spectacular spring crops around.

Back