Spring Barley - General Thread

MF 698T

Still spring barley not cut in tullamore
Well thats definitely not mine !!! I still have 20 acres after spuds to cut .
The mess made digging them last November meant it wasnt sowed till late May after much remedial work to dry and level the trenches and holes .
The fat lady hasnt sung just yet...... but shes definitely warming up !!!
This Wenesday should bring the curtain down on harvest 21 .

drew

Still spring barley not cut in tullamore
If Monday and Tuesday gone weren’t such good days here we could still have had some waiting for the knife, but it was a re sow job in May, if the original crop had lasted it would have all been done 2 weeks earlier

Masseyrk662

Well thats definitely not mine !!! I still have 20 acres after spuds to cut .
The mess made digging them last November meant it wasnt sowed till late May after much remedial work to dry and level the trenches and holes .
The fat lady hasnt sung just yet...... but shes definitely warming up !!!
This Wenesday should bring the curtain down on harvest 21 .
Was there a bit down the front wholecropped or crimped or somthing there is a bit gone ?

MF 698T

Was there a bit down the front wholecropped or crimped or somthing there is a bit gone ?
Couldnt tell you the bit i have is a long way from Tullamore !! Im about 15 miles away from your combines former home .
Mind you its been a kind and early year overall with an early finish for many .
No need for panic its still only Sept !!! Some years it could go on till late October if sowing was delayed in spring and the weather was bad in August or Sept .
A very experienced old hand once told me the biggest problem with late sowing was that while you could have a very good crop the " weather and short days can rob you at the other end "
Its always a gamble but idle land wont pay any bills

Masseyrk662

Couldnt tell you the bit i have is a long way from Tullamore !! Im about 15 miles away from your combines former home .
Mind you its been a kind and early year overall with an early finish for many .
No need for panic its still only Sept !!! Some years it could go on till late October if sowing was delayed in spring and the weather was bad in August or Sept .
A very experienced old hand once told me the biggest problem with late sowing was that while you could have a very good crop the " weather and short days can rob you at the other end "
Its always a gamble but idle land wont pay any bills
Oh I thought Twas yours. How is that man getting on ? It’s a fine farm I went up last year and bought the dual wheels off him. His father kept it very well

Masseyrk662

Must be a lot more barley not cut than I realised. A man rang me this morning with spring barley to cut, it’s very dirty with chick weed but is burned off 3 weeks, will it be hard put through the combine ?

Attachments

• CA6AB999-8416-4A6D-8C57-FDD4137EACF6.jpeg
    CA6AB999-8416-4A6D-8C57-FDD4137EACF6.jpeg
    958.2 KB · Views: 91
  • F2D5E727-1E42-4238-801E-61CE710BFD6A.jpeg
    F2D5E727-1E42-4238-801E-61CE710BFD6A.jpeg
    735.1 KB · Views: 90

Danielk

Must be a lot more barley not cut than I realised. A man rang me this morning with spring barley to cut, it’s very dirty with chick weed but is burned off 3 weeks, will it be hard put through the combine ?
If it’s dry it should be ok. When green it can cause problems. I had to cut some this year for a man. Tried keeping up as much as possible. But a certain amount goes in. Had to keep my returns cleaned out half way trough the day and then when finished the day. Keep an eye on your seives. If it’s bad I have seen it starting to block there. Also I find it leaves a layer on the grain loss pad snd then it doesn’t sense the grain going out so doesn’t register in the cab

Masseyrk662

If it’s dry it should be ok. When green it can cause problems. I had to cut some this year for a man. Tried keeping up as much as possible. But a certain amount goes in. Had to keep my returns cleaned out half way trough the day and then when finished the day. Keep an eye on your seives. If it’s bad I have seen it starting to block there. Also I find it leaves a layer on the grain loss pad snd then it doesn’t sense the grain going out so doesn’t register in the cab
My grain loss monitor pads are sitting at the back of the machinery shed, tried getting them to work many a time but no joy. Try to reduce returns as much as possible so ?

gone

Only finished myself this wend. There’s a Vad rapid 3m in Cooney furlongs. Staggered wheels.
Anyone know anything about it?.
Vaddy rapid is my choice of drill for ideal sowing conditions, but needs to be parked during wet times and from Oct 15th to March 15th most years.
In my opinion you need a 2nd way to drill if too wet.
Being a box drill you need to have approx 30kg of spare seed when finishing, not a big issue if not chopping between crops and varieties, but a very expensive pain in white label seed crops.